edwards_daddy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I paid for a pair of DM1s from Arcaydis on Aprl 13th, through PayPal. Despite promises that the speakers would be delivered, they never were. I eventually lost patience with the company and cancelled the order at the beginning of September.

So far, i have yet to receive any reinbursement for the money paid to this company. Any e-mails are immediately 'bounced' back to me and messages left on the answer machine are apparently ignored.

I've been in touch with the Citizen's Advice Bureau and Worcestershire Regulatory Services, who both advised me to put in a claim at the on-line small claims court. I'm reluctant to do this, due to costs, but i'm not sure what else to do.

Has anyone else had any similar problems with this company?

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This happens with Acaydis unfortunately. If you do a search on this forum under EB Acoustics (same company but different brand name) you'll see a whole host of people who've encountered the same problem. The man in charge, Richard, is not a bad guy by all accounts, just awful with email communication and customer service. Rather ironic as he sells his wares over the internet. I suggest telephoning again as he seems to be more comfortable with that and you've a better chance of reaching him.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I see you found http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/arcaydis-dm1s-how-long-have-you-been-waiting

Also, have a look here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/to-richard-allen-eb2

And here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/richard-allen-arcaydis-audio

And here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/to-richard-allen-eb-acoustics

And here: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/eb-acoustics-out-of-business-bankrupt

Good luck! :cheers:

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes several people have had similar problems. It is a one man sort of outfit and he spends most of his time making the speakers, waiting time is around 6 months as he can't produce any faster. I would try phoning him see if you can get hold of him. He seems a genuine guy but is lacking on the admin. side. He may see this on here as he sometimes has a look and may respond.

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the previous posts: goodness knows where Arcadsis/ EB Acoustics would be if it had decent customer service. But he's a one man show, and passionate about speakers.

The list of people he's kept waiting seems to be long, but I've yet to hear of him letting anyone down.

Keep phoning - you'll catch him eventually. He sometimes can't hear the phone with machinery going.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
phydeau said:
I agree with the previous posts: goodness knows where Arcadsis/ EB Acoustics would be if it had decent customer service. But he's a one man show, and passionate about speakers.

The list of people he's kept waiting seems to be long, but I've yet to hear of him letting anyone down.

Keep phoning - you'll catch him eventually. He sometimes can't hear the phone with machinery going.
A slight tangent, A fellow Yammy.

How do your focals blend with the AS1000 KIT ?

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
- aplogies foir the tangent - I think the Yam/Focal combination is just superb. It' a bit like cooking, this hifi business, it's all to do with getting combinations and blendings right, and then everyone has their own pallette.

I've tried the Yam on neutral speakers (eg SCM 11),and you can see why they don't have a big following - very uninspiring, almost yawnsville. And I've tried the Focals with a cyrus amp - fatigue sets in within a minute, way too sharp and bright. But the two together just hit the sweet spot for me. Its got the smoothness and detail of the Yam, and the opennes and edge of the Focals. Vocals just seem to float in the air: very clear. I've recently acquired some Focal 826s, which are even better: more full sound. You know its right when you put a track on to see how it sounds and end up listening to the whole CD.

Back to OP - any joy reaching him?

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to Richard about 10 days ago just after placing my order online (EB2's). Other than a temporary glitch with his test software all seemed to be well, and he was quoting deliveries of about 3 months (which was what I expected).

I would try calling at either end of the day - I get the impression that much of the time he is busy in the workshop.

Clearly it is frustrating to have to wait, and there are half a dozen threads of "complaint" on the forum which isn't great. However my guess is that he's probably building 10 a week so actually there must be lots of satisfied customers as well as the ones on here complaining!

I'll try to remember to post here when I get mine (Feb I hope) and of course include a quick write up on how they sound.

Patience is a virtue I'm told (regularly!!)

Dave

edwards_daddy

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've just spoken to Richard and he has promised me a full refund by the end of the week.

If that happens, I'll be happy with that.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.

Have spoken to the OP. Thoroughly nice chap and it would appear to be sorted. I understand the frustration being voiced but would like to take you through the process of building these speakers.

Let's say, for arguements sake, a pair of EB1s or DM1's. The process is the same. Normally do 4 pairs at a time.

Day 1. Cut, square and rip to oversize length and width ply and MDF. Apply PVA glue and press. Nothing more can be done to panels for 24 hours. Wind coils etc. Assemble crossovers.

Day 2. Cut backing veneer and face veneer. Apply backing veneer and wait 4 hours. Apply face veneer and then leave all in press overnight.

Day 3. Trim width to finished size. Crosscut panels to size and then router fronts and backs. Mitre all panels and then assemble cabinets. Leave overnight.

Day 4. Sand, radius and then fine sand cabinets along with drilling. Spray with either lacquer or black paint finish. Minimum of 2 coats with 2 hours in between coats. After final finishing coat, leave overnight to cure fully. If not acceptable, de-nib and apply 3rd coat to BOTH cabinets, not just the one that wasn't good enough.

Day 5.Fit all accessories. Test and box. Arrange carrier for delivery.

All of this is in an ideal world but that is the nature of hand built british product. Sure, go buy Wharfedale and the likes but you are not buying a british product. It's chinese. Made in Shenzen. Nearly all of the orders I have are from people who have stipulated they want BRITISH made product and that's what I offer. You want chinese??, go buy it but never kid yourselves it's british coz it's got a british name on it. It's not.

As to selling on the internet, I'll give you an example. I made 6 pairs of the new ER1 monitor and sent 2 pairs to 3 retailers. One in Wolverhampton, one in Hereford and one in Kent. That was 5 months ago. How many sold??, 1 pair. Re-orders??, none. I think that says it all, don't you?.

As one poster said yes, I'm passionate about the sound of my loudspeakers.

I'm not making excuses, just trying to relay to you the process that an order goes through, that's all. Thanks for reading.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Richard,

Thanks fro the response. I think there are 2 problems, 1 is delay in fulfilling orders, some people have been waiting over 6 months and the other is the admn side, people don't know when they will get them or what is going on. It seems most of your time is taken up by making the cabinets, have you considered buying the cabinets already made? I'm sure you have but have your reasons for making them yourself. If you bought the cabinets then I'm sure you would not have these delays and you would be able to produce more speakers.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Richard,

Thanks fro the response. I think there are 2 problems, 1 is delay in fulfilling orders, some people have been waiting over 6 months and the other is the admn side, people don't know when they will get them or what is going on. It seems most of your time is taken up by making the cabinets, have you considered buying the cabinets already made? I'm sure you have but have your reasons for making them yourself. If you bought the cabinets then I'm sure you would not have these delays and you would be able to produce more speakers.

Yeah, I was saying the same thing to Morgan the other week when I was complaining about how long it takes them to make the three-wheeler, I said "why don't you just buy in a three-wheeler body from Reliant instead of making them yourselves? It would be much quicker." They looked at me as if *I* was the mad one!

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
BigH said:
Richard,

Your 2 points are duly noted.

As for buying the cabinets in, firstly cabinet makers don't like working with my laminate and I'm not going to sacrifice sound quality for quantity. Secondly, they can't come in finished because I don't know how many of each colour will be needed. Thirdly, I pay one hell of a premium for the laminate board when outsourcing. If it ain't straight MDF, they ain't interested. You see when working with ply you can't put it in a heated press and expect it to say flat. True, if you apply veneer to both sides simultaneously then it will stay flat as one veneer pulls against the other and negates the effect of the board but unless it's birch ply, it sounds god awful. That's why there's a layer of MDF put on before veneering.

Needless to say, by the time I've bought everything in, assembled and delivered it, I've made nowt. I know I'm in it for the passion but I have to make something out of it or the whole exercise becomes pointless. You concur BigH??.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Yeah, I was saying the same thing to Morgan the other week when I was complaining about how long it takes them to make the three-wheeler, I said "why don't you just buy in a three-wheeler body from Reliant instead of making them yourselves? It would be much quicker." They looked at me as if *I* was the mad one!

Now come on Lhc. Where are you gonna get a Reliant chassis made out of Marine Ply???. :doh:

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Nothing to do with me but customer relations.is vital in any business. How long does it take to send regular.email updates? Are u still in Kiddy? Good luck anyway.

Hi Robin. Yes I do agree with you and yes. Still in Kiddy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
BigH said:
Richard,

Your 2 points are duly noted.

As for buying the cabinets in, firstly cabinet makers don't like working with my laminate and I'm not going to sacrifice sound quality for quantity. Secondly, they can't come in finished because I don't know how many of each colour will be needed. Thirdly, I pay one hell of a premium for the laminate board when outsourcing. If it ain't straight MDF, they ain't interested. You see when working with ply you can't put it in a heated press and expect it to say flat. True, if you apply veneer to both sides simultaneously then it will stay flat as one veneer pulls against the other and negates the effect of the board but unless it's birch ply, it sounds god awful. That's why there's a layer of MDF put on before veneering.

Needless to say, by the time I've bought everything in, assembled and delivered it, I've made nowt. I know I'm in it for the passion but I have to make something out of it or the whole exercise becomes pointless. You concur BigH??.

Thanks Richard, yes I understand your reasoning. Not sure what the solution is then, we been down the route of part time admin. I think. If I lived near you I may even help out a few hours a week. I'm sure there must be some early retired or redundant workers around you who would like a few hours work a week. I thought you were doing a new range that still proceeding?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
All of this is in an ideal world but that is the nature of hand built british product. Sure, go buy Wharfedale and the likes but you are not buying a british product. It's chinese. Made in Shenzen. Nearly all of the orders I have are from people who have stipulated they want BRITISH made product and that's what I offer. You want chinese??, go buy it but never kid yourselves it's british coz it's got a british name on it. It's not.

Would it be possible to contract out to Timberworx in Sheffield? (Part of REL)

It would keep your speakers 'all British' and shorten turnaround time. Given that Spendor are a major Timberworx customer I doubt there would be any quality worries.

This could free you to develop more speakers.

[EDIT} OK I see you have voiced your objections - to contracting cabinets - whilst I was typing my post.

Daveperc

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the lowdown on the process - really good to hear how hand crafted they are! Makes me even more excited to get mine when they're ready!!

So, enough of this typing on Forums - back to the bench Mr Allen - you've got speakers to build for expectant customers!! :grin: :grin:

Dave (Ordered 8th Nov !!) :cheers:

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Richard, Can I suggest one change to your customer process?

When an order is placed, an email is sent saying roughly how long the current wait is for the speaker ordered. This wil let customers know that you are alive and the order has been placed, and the customer then won't fret until the expected build time is reached.

For 5 mins per order;, I think this would reap big benefits for all.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
phydeau said:
Richard, Can I suggest one change to your customer process?

When an order is placed, an email is sent saying roughly how long the current wait is for the speaker ordered. This wil let customers know that you are alive and the order has been placed, and the customer then won't fret until the expected build time is reached.

For 5 mins per order;, I think this would reap big benefits for all.

Point noted and will be duly implemented

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby [EDIT} OK I see you have voiced your objections - to contracting cabinets - whilst I was typing my post. [/quote said:
It's not an objection Cheb. It's the fact that they all, including Timberworx use a heated press and a laminate needs to be cold pressed for best results. Also the laminate needs to be glued using PVA and not a resin based glue like Cascamite. Also, you may be interested to know that in 2011/12 I took nearly 30 pallets of EB1s and 2s from Timberworx. To continue with that type of purchase I need a thicker order book than I have at the moment. When I start doing amplifiers next year I'm gonna have to get me an engineer. :wall:

Richard Allen said:
chebby [EDIT} OK I see you have voiced your objections - to contracting cabinets - whilst I was typing my post. [/quote said:
It's not an objection Cheb. It's the fact that they all, including Timberworx use a heated press and a laminate needs to be cold pressed for best results. Also the laminate needs to be glued using PVA and not a resin based glue like Cascamite. Also, you may be interested to know that in 2011/12 I took nearly 30 pallets of EB1s and 2s from Timberworx. To continue with that type of purchase I need a thicker order book than I have at the moment. When I start doing amplifiers next year I'm gonna have to get me an engineer. :wall:

Richard - just a little side question.

Didn't you say some while back that you are trying to source retail outlets for your stuff? If so how's that progressing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts