Arcaydis

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Coll said:
I'm sure there are other people who can hand wind coils too and veneer cabinets. Perhaps Richard should make his own drive units, nuts and bolts and screws etc where does it stop.

It stops where Richard wants it to stop, who are you to question that? It's his product, he'll manufacture it in the manner he sees fit, if people can't live with that they'll have to order from somewhere else.

That is the point he has a great product but he must have lost many orders and customer goodwill due to the high demand and must find solutions to avoid these things happening in the future.

I know what it is like to work under pressure you need time to find answers but you dont have time its a vicious circle. He can run his business exactly how he likes. I was trying to suggest some ideas originally to help.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Coll said:
I'm sure there are other people who can hand wind coils too and veneer cabinets. Perhaps Richard should make his own drive units, nuts and bolts and screws etc where does it stop.

It stops where Richard wants it to stop, who are you to question that? It's his product, he'll manufacture it in the manner he sees fit, if people can't live with that they'll have to order from somewhere else.

That is the point he has a great product but he must have lost many orders and customer goodwill due to the high demand and must find solutions to avoid these things happening in the future.

I know what it is like to work under pressure you need time to find answers but you dont have time its a vicious circle. He can run his business exactly how he likes. I was trying to suggest some ideas originally to help.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Coll said:

Did you speak to him on the phone? I haven't heard of anyone complaining issues with refunds with Richard Allen before. Did you pay the full amount, or a small deposit?

You can always write to him and threaten small claims court action if he doesn't issue the refund, which would be your next recourse anyway.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Oooops!.

With what has been goin on it completely slipped my list of things to do. All done now David. Got PayPal receipt to prove it. Check ur paypal account.

NickF

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi Richard,

Please would you respond to my e-mails?

As I have stated in my e-mail's, I am no longer able to use the phone during office hours.

Thank you.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
NickF said:
Hi Richard,

Please would you respond to my e-mails?

As I have stated in my e-mail's, I am no longer able to use the phone during office hours.

Thank you.

Nick. I haven't received any emails and I check them every day. Send again to sales@arcaydis.com .

Richard.

NickF

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
smtp-in-107.livemail.co.uk rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

sales@arcaydis.com

smtp-in-107.livemail.co.uk gave this error:
<sales@arcaydis.com>: Recipient address rejected: Mailbox message count quota exceeded, please try again later.

This is why I e-mailed your personal account last time, you're a very popular man :)

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
NickF said:
smtp-in-107.livemail.co.uk rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

sales@arcaydis.com

smtp-in-107.livemail.co.uk gave this error:<sales@arcaydis.com>: Recipient address rejected: Mailbox message count quota exceeded, please try again later.

This is why I e-mailed your personal account last time, you're a very popular man :)

OK. There's a server error. send to sales@ebacoustics.com . I've just tested that one.

Richard.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I’d LOVE a pair of loudspeakers larger than the EB1’s & smaller than the 2’s in infinite baffle design - As I & I know others are dislike the bloom that IMO occurs in ported designs, blocking ports up doesn’t turn a ported loudspeaker into an infinite baffle design - I’d be willing to wait a fair time for such a design - If EB ever get around to making such a speaker here is one customer - If need be my wife will go have to go on the game to pay for them *biggrin*

A friend has a pair of the old JR149's (round) & though lacking in deep bass are outstanding though unsuitable for a large room & fetch a fair price on Ebay.

NickF

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
NickF said:

sales@arcaydis.com

smtp-in-107.livemail.co.uk gave this error:<sales@arcaydis.com>: Recipient address rejected: Mailbox message count quota exceeded, please try again later.

OK. There's a server error. send to sales@ebacoustics.com . I've just tested that one.

Richard.

Hi Richard,

Please will you respond to my e-mail?

ChrisK

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I am new to this Forum and don't usually post comments; however, I write this out of sheer frustration. I am having problems getting a pair of DM1s from Richard and am having problems contacting him about the status of my order. Richard please contact me, my payment went through on 12th Feb for a pair of DM1s in natural oak. Sorry but I don't enjoy not having confidence in an order that I have placed.

Chris

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
bigboss said:
Just contact PayPal and get your money back.

+1

This thread has resurface too many times. Too many hollow excuses and apologies from both Arcaydis and EB Acoustics for their lack of contact, manufacturing performance, deadline meeting and customer service. The list goes on.

I think that blame for the above can be squarely aimed at What HiFi. What HiFi's modus operandi is to only review products that are "mass produced". I don't mean millions of units per annum but I do mean a semblence of factory production. Why oh why they chose to promote a one man cottage industry such as EB Acoustics in such a vociferous way, and above many other such manufacturers, will only ever be known by the WHF editor. However they did put a "made to order from scratch by one man" product out there infront of a worldwide circulation of readers. More than once I might add! Yes Richard Allen has since taken on staff to help him but the number of posts like this are clear evidence that the company cannot deliver product and/or customer service.

Time for the ubiquitous customer to vote with their feet me thinks.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
bigboss said:

+1

This thread has resurface too many times. Too many hollow excuses and apologies from both Arcaydis and EB Acoustics for their lack of contact, manufacturing performance, deadline meeting and customer service. The list goes on.

I think that blame for the above can be squarely aimed at What HiFi. What HiFi's modus operandi is to only review products that are "mass produced". I don't mean millions of units per annum but I do mean a semblence of factory production. Why oh why they chose to promote a one man cottage industry such as EB Acoustics in such a vociferous way, and above many other such manufacturers, will only ever be known by the WHF editor. However they did put a "made to order from scratch by one man" product out there infront of a worldwide circulation of readers. More than once I might add! Yes Richard Allen has since taken on staff to help him but the number of posts like this are clear evidence that the company cannot deliver product and/or customer service.

That is the most ridiculous load of tripe I've ever read! WHF review what they're sent, they don't "promote" anything, EB send them a speaker, they review it. That's the end of the relationship, to suggest WHF are continually pushing this company on their readers is ridiculous, I can't even remember the last time any RA product was reviewed by WHF (and that doesn't include the recent Roth RA edition speakers, RA doesn't make those).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Gazzip said:
bigboss said:

+1

That is the most ridiculous load of tripe I've ever read! WHF review what they're sent, they don't "promote" anything, EB send them a speaker, they review it. That's the end of the relationship, to suggest WHF are continually pushing this company on their readers is ridiculous, I can't even remember the last time any RA product was reviewed by WHF (and that doesn't include the recent Roth RA edition speakers, RA doesn't make those).

Don't mince your words LHC!

They may well "review whatever they are sent" but they certainly don't publish everything they review. They take a view on its appeal and availability to a mass audience. To their audience. This is why such heavily lauded product as the EB1 and subsequently the EB2 did not win WHF awards. THEY WERE NOT COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE TO THE MASS CONSUMER. A fact freely admitted by WHF on this forum many, many times. So why publish the reviews in the first place? Do some research before throwing your tripe around.

Putting a one man band product in front of a worldwide audience with five stars "buy it now!" was both reckless and unprecedented. EB Acoustics were niche then and are niche now.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
The_Lhc said:
Gazzip said:
bigboss said:

+1

Don't mince your words LHC!

They may well "review whatever they are sent" but they certainly don't publish everything they review. They take a view on its appeal and availability to a mass audience.

Yes but they do that before they review it, if they decide something is not for their audience or is not actually available, they don't review it. So they do publish everything they review, it would be a waste of money otherwise. They have also removed reviews when it's become apparent that products aren't actually available to order or purchase, usually in response to reader reports. Presumably that hasn't happened in this case.

This is why such heavily lauded product as the EB1 and subsequently the EB2 did not win WHF awards. THEY WERE NOT COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE TO THE MASS CONSUMER. A fact freely admitted by WHF on this forum many, many times. So why publish the reviews in the first place?

Because at the time there was no suggestion that these problems were going to happen (in fact you could argue that it's the positive reviews that have caused the backlog in the first place but to blame WHF for THAT would be idiotic, they were far from alone in reviewing these products incidentally), how could there be, nobody can predict future sales in that manner. Many manufacturers send WHF pre-production units for early review prior to general release, are you suggesting they should wait until their product has been on the market for 6 months before anything is reviewed?

Fact is EB HAVE sold speakers to the public and continue to do so, you just have to be prepared to wait, it's not a mass produced item but that isn't the same not commercially available. The waiting list for Morgan cars is 6 months, are you going to suggest that means their cars should never be reviewed?

Putting a one man band product in front of a worldwide audience with five stars "buy it now!" was both reckless and unprecedented. EB Acoustics were niche then and are niche now.

Unprecedented? Don't be ridiculous, most of the British hi-fi industry is little more than one man bands, are you now suggesting that only multi-national manufacturers can be reviewed?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
LHC,

1) Publishing a micro businesses product in an international magazine and making it a Best Buy was reckless. It demonstrates a lack of due dilligence from the publisher. I believe that the publisher realised this soon after publishing the EB1 review and tried to correct the error by excluding it from the awards. They then proceeded to do it again with the EB2 which I find interesting from the standpoint of reviewer's impartiallity and due diligence.

2) It was unprecedented to back a niche "made to order" product, something WHF magazine admitted after the EB1 didn't make the awards. They then proceeded to do it again with the EB2 which I find interesting from the standpoint of reviewer's impartiallity and due dilligence.

3) A great deal of the British HiFi industry is as you say made up of one man bands. However, most of these smaller companies produce niche products that are NOT reviewed by WHF. They are reviewed by niche publications. WHF is predominantly a mass consumer magazine which caters as it should for that market by reviewing mass consumer products. If you think that Cyrus, Naim, PMC, Monitor Audio, Kef, Sony, Pioneer, Rotel etc. etc., the mainstay of WHF's product review programme, are anything other than mass consumer then you are deluded.

There was no place in WHF for a review of the EB Acoustics EB1 and EB2 because the products were/are not easily available to the magazine's target market. They do not sell in shops. They are made to order. What more is there to add?

Gazzip said:
LHC,

1) Publishing a micro businesses product in an international magazine and making it a Best Buy was reckless. It demonstrates a lack of due dilligence from the publisher. I believe that the publisher realised this soon after publishing the EB1 review and tried to correct the error by excluding it from the awards. They then proceeded to do it again with the EB2 which I find interesting from the standpoint of reviewer's impartiallity and due diligence.

2) It was unprecedented to back a niche "made to order" product, something WHF magazine admitted after the EB1 didn't make the awards. They then proceeded to do it again with the EB2 which I find interesting from the standpoint of reviewer's impartiallity and due dilligence.

3) A great deal of the British HiFi industry is as you say made up of one man bands. However, most of these smaller companies produce niche products that are NOT reviewed by WHF. They are reviewed by niche publications. WHF is predominantly a mass consumer magazine which caters as it should for that market by reviewing mass consumer products. If you think that Cyrus, Naim, PMC, Monitor Audio, Kef, Sony, Pioneer, Rotel etc. etc., the mainstay of WHF's product review programme, are anything other than mass consumer then you are deluded.

There was no place in WHF for a review of the EB Acoustics EB1 and EB2 because the products were/are not easily available to the magazine's target market. They do not sell in shops. They are made to order. What more is there to add?

I'd just like to say I applaud everything The_Lhc has said.

On the basis of reviews, not only in WHFSAV, I purchased a pair of EB2's quite early on and, after discussion on the phone with Richard Allen, was quite prepared to wait the stated time for them to arrive (just over 2 months at that point).

It was a decision that I do not regret making.

To say that WHFSAV should only review items from mass marketeers is quite misguided in my opinion.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gazzip said:
LHC,

I'd just like to say I applaud everything The_Lhc has said.

On the basis of reviews, not only in WHFSAV, I purchased a pair of EB2's quite early on and, after discussion on the phone with Richard Allen, was quite prepared to wait the stated time for them to arrive (just over 2 months at that point).

It was a decision that I do not regret making.

To say that WHFSAV should only review items from mass marketeers is quite misguided in my opinion.

Recommending the built to order EB1 and subsequently the EB2 after reviewing them against mass produced, retailer stocked products, is wrong. It is not impartial. It is not a level playing field. Reviewing them together implies that I can go and pick up EB1 and EB2 as easly as the other speakers they were tested against, get the same level of customer support etc. This is not the case.

Can you not see that there is a clear distinction between the costs incurred by say Kef, Q Acoustics etc. who have a dedicated customer services/tech support team, produce stock, ship it to retailers who in turn take their mark-up, and EB who do none of these things? Is that a fair test of like-for-like? I think not as they are completely different products. Impartiallity was not maintained by WHFSAV in this instance. To do so would have required a test of the EB1 and EB2 against other niche made to order speakers, not high street brands.

It seems to me your post is more about defending the EB2 product than responding to my post. I have not critisised the product. I have critisized a customer service "department" and a manufacturing setup that cannot cope with the pressure it is under for orders, a pressure that can be directly linked to WHFSAV "plugging" of a product that had no right to be plugged in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS