Arcam vs Naim

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
madeinstein, the best way would be to take a demo with some of your own CDs. It's too much money to risk on the say-so o someone else. I, for one, absolutely love my Arcam system.

A

Anonymous

Let me put it simply: Naim has you tapping your feet and listening to the music, while Arcam makes you reach for the comfy slippers and cup of cocoa before you go to bed.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hughes123:JAXON5:JoelSim: Arcam is better if you want the music to sound how it was intended

Sorry, I forgot that Naim really provide that true hi-fi sound - really natural and balanced - oh and I havn't even mentioned the really accurate tonality Primare have. Colouration? Forget it!
Lowest form of wit? Never...

Naim provide a true HiFi sound? Not to my ears! However they can re-produced sound of instruments rather accurately. That is why they sound great with Rock.

Most of Dance, Classical, and some Jazz recording has been heavily mix by sound engineers to get sound stage effect, panning acrossed the room or in POP music case - compressed to hell - so the tracks sound easier to listen on Radio. Naim don't re-produce that kinna sound effect very well when compare to the similar price gears like Primare or Musical Fidelity. However feed the black/green box some steady rock tunes and Naim's timing and spot on tonal balance are very hard to beat.

I have to mention though that High End Naim do sound absolutely thrill regardless of music generation but have you seen the price list?

Arcam?? I don't know but we have many fans here in this forum (not me though)

matthewpiano

madeinstein:And what do you think about much cheaper option like Cambridge Audio? Did you have a chance to compare this with Naim/Arcam?

I'd say that Cambridge Audio are very much a direct competitor to Arcam and Naim in the sub £1000.00 category. Of the many amps I've had and listened to (including several Arcam and Naim models), the 740A I have now is one of the very very best. Don't forget that CA gear is more expensive abroad and only the prices that it is here because of a great distribution agreement with Richer Sounds. The gear that would compete with the Arcam and Naim stuff isn't significantly cheaper anyway - £500 a piece for the 740 series or £750 a piece for the 840 series. Worth every penny IMHO. Don't forget that the Cambridge engineers include people who have worked for Creek and Arcam in the past. They are a very serious and extremely talented company, certainly not to be written off on the basis of their cheaper components.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Anyway, I'm off to make some Ovaltine and fill my pipe up with Old Holborn and then I may listen to some Dame Vera Lynn on my Arcam radiogram thing

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:I think one thing is constant with both Arcam, and Naim....HUGE markup...

I think you'll find that with just about every product on the high street mate, not just those 2 brands.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:

Those new Yamaha components look fabulous and I read a good review of one of the amps recently. Would be very interested in hearing them myself.

Indeed. Just read the review in one of WHF's competitor's magazines. (Not my copy. Honest.) I love the 1970s look and the wooden end 'cheeks'. I would be sorely tempted if they had glowing VU meters (with real analogue needles) like the old ones :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:fr0g:I think one thing is constant with both Arcam, and Naim....HUGE markup...

I think you'll find that with just about every product on the high street mate, not just those 2 brands.

AVI?
NVA (Ebay only now)
Gotham cables (Ebay)
Beresford
Harmony (My latest DAC (DA9), Swedish )
Cambridge (in the UK - Europe pay about 20% more than the UK (An 840 CD or amp is over £900 here))
...many others.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
fr0g:JoelSim:fr0g:I think one thing is constant with both Arcam, and Naim....HUGE markup... I think you'll find that with just about every product on the high street mate, not just those 2 brands. AVI?

You really are Ashley in discuised
emotion-1.gif

Where is that cables thread BTW? I can't find it!

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:madeinstein, the best way would be to take a demo with some of your own CDs. It's too much money to risk on the say-so o someone else. I, for one, absolutely love my Arcam system.

Yes as soon as my local shop gets the PMC GB1i (I'm waiting 3 weeks already) I will go and do some listening. My initial setup is going to be Arcam A38+CD37+PMC speakers which from what I've read so far is a very good combination.

The idea behind this topic is to know what should I compare this with.. You could say that Arcam is going to be my reference setup. I will definitely compare this with Linn system although this is slightly different price range and I'm not sure if I want to go that far
emotion-1.gif
.. Then Naim/Cambridge Audio looks like a good competition. I would love to compare Arcam with Primare I30 but unfortunatelly my local shop doesn't do Primare but I think Sevenoaks might so I need to schedule some time with them as well.

I want to hook it up with some music server/digital streaming server so I do not have to use CD's (and maybe I will not even get CD player if I find a good substitute) but this discussion is on a different topic here if anyone is interested.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Thaiman:
fr0g:JoelSim:fr0g:I think one thing is constant with both Arcam, and Naim....HUGE markup... I think you'll find that with just about every product on the high street mate, not just those 2 brands. AVI?

You really are Ashley in discuised
emotion-1.gif

Where is that cables thread BTW? I can't find it!

Accesories (which is all cables are IMO)

And nope. Not Ashley. He seems like a top bloke, but he is in danger of doing a Ratner if he isnt careful ;)

A

Anonymous

JoelSim:Anyway, I'm off to make some Ovaltine and fill my pipe up with Old Holborn and then I may listen to some Dame Vera Lynn on my Arcam radiogram thing

Old Holborn is actually hand rolling tobacco, which is cut too finely for pipe smoking. May I suggest a flake tobacco, such as Sam Gawiths Chocolate Flake as a nice partner to any Arcam equipment. A combination I thouroughly enjoy!!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

chebby:

Indeed. Just read the review in one of WHF's competitor's magazines. (Not my copy. Honest.) I love the 1970s look and the wooden end 'cheeks'. I would be sorely tempted if they had glowing VU meters (with real analogue needles) like the old ones :)

(Hughes starts salivating at the corner of his mouth) Analogue needles...mmmmmmm....wooden ends....mmmmmmm.....now where did I put those JBLs with the 12" white drivers?

A

Anonymous

chebby:

No, no. Not JBLs.

Yamaha NS-1000M.

YES! 100%. Still havn't found a copy to date. If anyone is interested in selling a pair, then you know where I am! Good prices paid!

Oh, and I've got a demo with the AS2000 amplifier with the matching CD player and some B&W 805S...should be good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts