Arcam sa30

Waroroses

Feb 16, 2023
Visit site
HELP
I have been trying to update my SA 30 firmware for days. I figured out how to program a USB 8gb stick to Fat32, downloaded the update and plugged the stick in the unit.
It shows upgrading but times out and shows the error message USB upgrade failed.
Product support wants me to go to my dealer. My dealer charges $200 and it's a 3 week wait.
I think that is ridiculous for an almost new receiver. Should be a warranty replacement.
Does anyone know how to do this..?
Should I hard wire the internet instead of doing wirelessly?
Why would product support advocate buying a new USB stick. Mine is new.
I am furious.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from? They might have updated similar units.

Meanwhile is it functioning? I’m wondering what benefit you gain if you do succeed in updating it, because I often find newly released software/firmware unreliable.

Symples

Aug 12, 2021
Visit site
Is the USB stick compatible with your equipment?
The stick could also be faulty?

I'd try another USB stick to eliminate that.
If all is well. I'd get back to ARCAM under warranty.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you contacted the dealer you bought it from? They might have updated similar units.

Meanwhile is it functioning? I’m wondering what benefit you gain if you do succeed in updating it, because I often find newly released software/firmware unreliable.
Didn't Arcam have firmware issues with the AVR600 receiver and their Bluray player (BDP300)?

Witterings

Didn't Arcam have firmware issues with the AVR600 receiver and their Bluray player (BDP300)?

I believe the SA300 has certainly had it's share of software issues but believe the most recent version addressed the vast majority of problems and most now regard them as great amps ... BUT there have been some issues reported along the way with installing updates.

Waroroses

Feb 16, 2023
Visit site
Is the USB stick compatible with your equipment?
The stick could also be faulty?

I'd try another USB stick to eliminate that.
If all is well. I'd get back to ARCAM under warranty.

See above. updating and set up not covered. All of my other devices update themselves with my permission. This is a SERIOUS flaw.

Waroroses

Feb 16, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

Not functioning. Freezes up and is nonresponsive.
Dealer wants $300 and schedule takes 3 weeks.
Needs update, all my other toys autimatically do it.

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Installing firmware updates via a USB stick is just not good enough for today's consumers who are used to painless firmware and software updates through the internet. Arcam are not the only manufacturer of course who do this, but it betrays a design approach stuck in the mud of well over a decade ago.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
"Witterings" is correct
I can confirm the new version is seamless.
I held off getting the sa30 even after demoing it with a few other amps in which it was my favourite.
The releasing of the sa30 on beta software was a silly move not unlike most android devices of today but what happened to me only defied my logic of getting a known reliable brand and model of another amp.
Knowing the sa30 was still experiencing the quirks that come with releasing a product still I'm it's development stage.
I instead plumbed for the roskan k3 which was massively discounted at richer sounds as they had taken both Bluetooth and to my suprise the standbye function out (it didn't comply with power consumption ideals as a standbye function)

In getting home it came out of its box unwilling to switch on from it's red light indicating a problem initially then it would come on and play fine only to randomly flick back into "protection mode"

I know enough to rule out any wiring problems but still put it into my second hifi unit only to find it the same.
It was replaced very speedily by richer sounds only to find the second amp with the same fault.

I took back the second amp in person to rule out any doubt from richer sounds I was creating the problem only to find out they'd had a load of returns of the new version k3 by a very nice gentleman that divulged that usually secret information suffice to say he wasn't surprised I wouldn't take a third replacement.

I decided to go with my original choice the sa30 but they hadn't it in as it seems despite the update problem it sold very well.
Tracking one down in hifi sounds stockton they assured me the new software was flawless and I'd already preempted that information via vast research but demoed it regardless.

The sound that amp produces is astounding for the money and connectivity exhaustive.

I've have the pleasure of owning a few different amps including a sentimental and a favourite the pioneer a400 and it's right up there.
The quality of the dac is usually found in high end amps being the saber ess and to have a decent MM and MC phono stage a real plus.

The power at 120w is all at the speakers it will drive even a pair of vintage floorstanders with ease but none of that was the cherry on the already very exciting cake.

Because acram rushed the sa30 release to the hifi shows on beta firmware the bugs were still there after official release causing a good price drop because of the consequent problems.

It meant a mid tier eisa award winning amp can be had for nearly half price (although now they have stopped the reduction)

I will say a lot of problems with the old software were the user errors in installation but it still remain a fact there was software errors regardless.
The good thing is having a writeable firmware is very good at future improvements such as the new hi res bit rate in the newer version and to stop things becoming obsolete like the changing in streaming streams, formats and players.

I demoed the new radia series that acram released to combat the loss of faith in the SA series but it's just not as good, it lacks the immediate punch the sa30 provides.

The radia does have a cheaper release price but now the sa30 is solved it seemed pointless in consideration especially with the price drop.

I run mine often and through a pair of q acoustics 3050i another suprise that got me to jump from mission speakers for a new set.

This amp not unlike the pioneer a400 of it's day surprises me every time I switch it on.
After paying 900 £ for it with a warranty I know from owning things like the roskan and a luxman at one point it's way above most amps in its bracket.
Wholistacaly with what you get in connectivity and features like direc (which I have no interest in) there's nothing I can think of that beats it.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
And were you able to try the steps outlines on the Arcam forum? It does seem hideously complex I must say. Samsung need to lend them an intern or two to get things sorted!
Installing firmware updates via a USB stick is just not good enough for today's consumers who are used to painless firmware and software updates through the internet. Arcam are not the only manufacturer of course who do this, but it betrays a design approach stuck in the mud of well over a decade ago.
It's not it's primary way of updating the sa30 it's a much needed and missed option to do so for people who don't have an internet connection.
I wished they would all do it.
I remember being stuck in the mud when needing to update my games consoles as a kid when my parents didn't have the internet.
I'd of loved to be able just to carry the update on a usb stick and install it without the internet.

It's not it's primary way of updating the sa30 it's a much needed and missed option to do so for people who don't have an internet connection.
I wished they would all do it.
I remember being stuck in the mud when needing to update my games consoles as a kid when my parents didn't have the internet.
I'd of loved to be able just to carry the update on a usb stick and install it without the internet.
Don't you need the internet to download to the USB stick in the first place? Or am I missing something here?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Don't you need the internet to download to the USB stick in the first place? Or am I missing something here?
Yes indeed you do but it can be done anywhere for people who don't have their own internet connection.

For instance hifi sound pop it onto the usb stick for people whom are unsure which version etc to download so they can take it home to install straight from there without the owner ever needing use an internet connection themselves.

I know as a kid i didn't have the internet so my friend put things onto a usb stick for me, mostly games console updates otherwise I'd of been stuck.
I missed that option it makes devices updatable without having your own internet.

It would be a good idea for others to follow suit in that regard.

It's also a more stable way of updating things especially software.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Think you could be right. I've only used a stick on the old PC
Yes indeed you do but it can be done anywhere for people who don't have their own internet connection.

For instance hifi sound pop it onto the usb stick for people whom are unsure which version etc to download so they can take it home to install straight from there without the owner ever needing use an internet connection themselves.

I know as a kid i didn't have the internet so my friend put things onto a usb stick for me, mostly games console updates otherwise I'd of been stuck.
I missed that option it makes devices updatable without having your own internet.

It would be a good idea for others to follow suit in that regard.

It's also a more stable way of updating things especially software.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
There's an echo in the room :)

I don't know anybody in this age though that doesn't have internet, even my 91 yr old dad does.
Some people have hifi in places without the net irrespective I guess like me as a kid.
People not tech savvy would benefit from a the option to just stuff a usb key in the back and press the "ok button" rather than the muck on with finding the correct version etc especially in view of the problems.

All I know is I personally benefitted from the earlier stuff up with the software and so will many others as the amp was discounted in view of the original now sorted problem.

I will mention I feel for the original buyers though as it's clearly caused problems as I remember the headache I had with a bad amp that couldn't be repaired at all atleast not with an update.
I guess that's kinda the point with software as opposed to hardware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witterings

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Not being factitious as not having the internet isn't the prime reason for usb installs and I only know of one such person myself.
"Ofcom (the Office of Communications) and ONS (the Office of National Statistics) There's still people that have no access to the internet and 4.2 million adults have either never used the internet or have not used it in the past three months.20 Jul 2023"
My thoughts too! It’s 2024 not 1996!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts