Arcam is rubbish...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

scene

There has been some concern voiced on the forums that the forums aren't what they used to be and that people have said that they are tired of the number of posts sniping at other users, and this reason is frequently quoted when people leave the forum publicly.

I have always said that if people are worried about this as an issue, then it is upto them/us to post useful threads, reply in a non-perjorative manner and be friendly and helpful to all...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
...Which is one of the reasons why sniping users tend to be reined in fairly swiftly. True, some users have left, and some have been banned for unsuitable behaviour – it's just that the latter tend not to tell it like that when they pop up elsewhere.

However, just as important is the fact that we have many new users coming in and asking questions, giving opinions and being given advice, and we are determined to make this a friendly place where people aren't afraid to post questions they think some will feel too silly, or fall foul of a clique of 'senior members' (however ridiculous a concept that may seem to many).

There's really no issue, except it seems in minds of a few members with rather too much time for introspection.

Yes, some of the names from the past may not be here, but there's no shortage of new ones, and that's kind of the way of forums - people come, people go...

manicm

scene said:
There has been some concern voiced on the forums that the forums aren't what they used to be and that people have said that they are tired of the number of posts sniping at other users, and this reason is frequently quoted when people leave the forum publicly.

I have always said that if people are worried about this as an issue, then it is upto them/us to post useful threads, reply in a non-perjorative manner and be friendly and helpful to all...

And sniping on this thread is...where? Come to think of it this topic is a bit strange, if you were a bit more direct you're saying this topic is Arcam-bashing?

I would agree the title could have been a bit more subtle, as I would hesitate to call any Arcam product rubbish, flawed yes, bug-ridden yes, rubbish no.

scene

manicm said:
scene said:

And sniping on this thread is...where? Come to think of it this topic is a bit strange, if you were a bit more direct you're saying this topic is Arcam-bashing?

Oops - is that how it sounds? I think that, as pp said the title was provocative merely to make people read the thread. Which has been, mostly, a reasoned and reasonable discussion of Arcam's strong and weak points - good sound, bad QA.

If at any point I have sounded like I have been sniping, on this post or elsewhere, please accept my humblest apologies, that has never been my intention. I like the forum and find it a great place to find information, share information and have the occasional laugh. I do find it a little sad when threads descend into slanging matches, but hopefully, that won't happen too often. So I'll stop now, in case I'm risking doing it here.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
there's no shortage of new ones, and that's kind of the way of forums - people come, people go...

After having taken a short e-sabbatical myself, there are a lot of new names on here - which is a good thing.

Andrew Everard said:
...Whcih is one of the reasons why sniping users tend to be reined in fairly swiftly. True, some users have left, and some have been banned for unsuitable behaviour – it's just that the latter tend not to tell it like that when they pop up elsewhere.

However, just as important is the fact that we have many new users coming in and asking questions, giving opinions and being given advice, and we are determined to make this a friendly place where people aren't afraid to post question they think some will feel too silly, or fall foul of a clique of 'senior members' (however ridiculous a concept that may seem to many).

There's really no issue, except it seems in minds of a few members with rather too much time for introspection.

Yes, some of the names from the past may not be here, but there's no shortage of new ones, and that's kind of the way of forums - people come, people go...

Without overplaying the issue, the overriding message, is scene, a few others including yours truly, that we CARE about the forum.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Without overplaying the issue, the overriding message, is scene, a few others including yours truly, that we CARE about the forum.

I think that is overplaying the message: no one is in any doubt that you do.

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Back on subject, maybe.

In my opinion Arcam are rubbish and I will tell you why.

Back in 1994 I got one of the first (possibly THE first) Arcam Xeta Ones. I was going to get an amp and seperate processor but was seduced. Why? In their blurb/sales pitch they claimed that as it was of modular design it would be future proof. Great!

Except that it only lasted until the next model with Dolby Digital was released.

On query the answer I got was that I would have to replace the amp or get a new add-on processor. Great - NOT.

In essence I feel as if I was lied to and for that it is the last piece of Arcam equipment that I will ever buy.

That's my experience and opinion of Arcam.

DavieCee said:
Back on subject, maybe.

In my opinion Arcam are rubbish and I will tell you why.

Back in 1994 I got one of the first (possibly THE first) Arcam Xeta Ones. I was going to get an amp and seperate processor but was seduced. Why? In their blurb/sales pitch they claimed that as it was of modular design it would be future proof. Great!

Except that it only lasted until the next model with Dolby Digital was released.

On query the answer I got was that I would have to replace the amp or get a new add-on processor. Great - NOT.

In essence I feel as if I was lied to and for that it is the last piece of Arcam equipment that I will ever buy.

That's my experience and opinion of Arcam.

Your comments are fair - I don't expect everyone to like Arcam. Some have good experiences and some don't... that's the way of life.

But I think mis-information, allied to software and reliability problems seem to be Arcams achilles heel. It's a pity, because they pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to SQ. However, I haven't personally experienced any of these reliability problems - then again, my set-ups have always been very basic.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Lee H said:
Taking one for the consumer eh? Hats off to you and your sacrifice sir!
smiley-laughing.gif

Ha ha, I thought it was worth a try - I'll get me coat!
smiley-embarassed.gif

DavieCee

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Your comments are fair - I don't expect everyone to like Arcam. Some have good experiences and some don't... that's the way of life. But I think mis-information, allied to software and reliability problems seem to be Arcams achilles heel. It's a pity, because they pretty much hit the nail on the head when it comes to SQ. However, I haven't personally experienced any of these reliability problems - then again, my set-ups have always been very basic.

Yes and I suppose that's the point. I did buy the amp based on the SQ (Arcam 9 was on the list) and it still gets used as a hifi amp and low level surround (although the selector button is goosed so I only have one input - Tape In & monitor) but my "Home Theatre" is compromised. Although the wife is doing as much as the failed promises and I am sure that there are a few that can relate to that
smiley-tongue-out.gif
I was dissapointed in Arcam long before I met the wife so there's no get out clause there.

They get so much right, yet so much wrong.

T

the record spot

@DavieCee - I can understand your grievance, but isn't that the way of things in electronics? Why would Arcam's bringing out a new receiver with updated Dolby Digital preclude you from buying the brand again on the basis the one you already bought couldn't be updated at a time before firmware upgrades were available?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have only had experience with Arcam amplifiers up to the Alpha 9, A65, delta 290 etc so quite old gear now but my experience has been positive. IMO their amplifiers always sound good and the build quality is also excellent, the service department is also very helpful. Sure there have been some silly mistakes even with these amplifiers......the over bias on the standard A65 springs to mind but this is true of all companies. With reference to newer models which are released and then need software updates to fix the bugs this seems to be the way all companies work these days not just Arcam. Sure its frustrating when you first buy one of these products but I think it is OK if they support the product and provide the updates. Unfortunately most of the Arcam amplifiers I see now are Alpha 9's and delta 290's with noisy I/P selectors in need of repair..........well I say unfortunately I am listening to an Alpha 9 which I have just finished doing and it still sounds pretty darn good to me.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
...Whcih is one of the reasons why sniping users tend to be reined in fairly swiftly. True, some users have left, and some have been banned for unsuitable behaviour – it's just that the latter tend not to tell it like that when they pop up elsewhere.

Because that is how they see it, sometimes.

Andrew Everard said:
However, just as important is the fact that we have many new users coming in and asking questions, giving opinions and being given advice, and we are determined to make this a friendly place where people aren't afraid to post questions they think some will feel too silly, or fall foul of a clique of 'senior members' (however ridiculous a concept that may seem to many).

Amen.

I don't care about Arcam. Their styling is rubbish though, so shame on any Arcam fans who slagged off the Beresford!
smiley-tongue-out.gif

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
shooter69 said:
Interesting that most of the replies have come from older Arcam machines and not the new stuff.

Is know one using the rDAC, surely there are a few out their and that falls into the HiFi catagory if nor how abour the FMJ range of integrated's, any one have one of these? ...

;)

A

Anonymous

al7478 said:
I don't care about Arcam. Their styling is rubbish though
Heh. I don't agree with you at all. To me, the consistent styling of the DiVA and FMJ ranges is spot-on: functional, beautiful and understated.

And the AVR250 in my living room is still one of the best-looking surround amps I've seen. Understated and simple, like their FMJ stereo models. The newer AVR models are bulky beasts in comparison, and I don't like their looks, but not the worst I've seen.

tremon said:
al7478 said:
Heh. I don't agree with you at all. To me, the consistent styling of the DiVA and FMJ ranges is spot-on: functional, beautiful and understated.

And the AVR250 in my living room is still one of the best-looking surround amps I've seen. Understated and simple, like their FMJ stereo models. The newer AVR models are bulky beasts in comparison, and I don't like their looks, but not the worst I've seen.

You're right - not sure what Al's going on about. They can be accused of a few things but looks and build quality, even entry-level, is spot-on. Allied to that you have a mass of inputs plus very good sound quality and you have a great package.

tremon said:
al7478 said:

You're right - not sure what Al's going on about. They can be accused of a few things but looks and build quality, even entry-level, is spot-on. Allied to that you have a mass of inputs plus very good sound quality and you have a great package.

Reading a few different posts this morning. Given that Arcam are experiencing firmware problems - very true and frustrating - let's not forget that other companies are suffering/suffered similar probs: Cyrus, Audiolab to mention two...

So i agree that Arcam needs to shape up with their product, they are by no means alone in this area.

A

Anonymous

From my 2 year experience of 5 Arcam av888's I would say 'Rubbish' as they never worked and even blamed 'something else in my system' for causing the problems...strange thing is my new Anthem D2v works flawlessly and even sounds better?

and now I'm having trouble with the Arcam bdp-100 that I bought when owning my 3rd av888 to make sure that Arcam couldn't blame another manufacturer for things not working?

I was such a sucker!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts