Arcam is rubbish...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
crusaderlord said:
I have owned Arcam for about 4 years starting with the Diva and now the FMJ - i have heard many others Cyrus, Naim, NAD, Cambridge Audio etc and dont think anyone of them are better, just different. Arcam suits my taste in music and is very musical. I have been around the forum a while and am bored with all the Arcam bashing but i try to ignore and just enjoy what i have. For value i think Arcam are great, particularly the FMJ range - you can pick up great bargains too.

What's the main difference, sound quality-wise, between the DIVA A85 (heard a few years ago)and the FMJ A32 (not heard)?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I liked my old Arcam Solo-Mini and might have bought another if they had updated it by now. (AirPlay and/or digital iPod connection and an optical DAC input would have swung it for me.)

It always suprised me how much 'grip' it had on my Rega R3s and how it had a completely different sound (more funky and reminiscent of Rega budget gear) compared to the FMJ A18/CD17 combination that I tried out (twice) before eventually upgrading to Naim instead.

Just picked up a copy of the August edition of the - I know this should be posted elsewhere - and don't want to spoil it for those who are yet to buy or receive, but as we're on the Arcam trail, thought it was worth a quick mention about the Bluray player.

After a brief read, it seems the firmware hasn't changed much in the usuability stakes, so I was a little disappointed to read the improvements are minimal. Shame because it has all the SQ attributes of a top model, still these blips exist...

Wakey wakey, Arcam!

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Someone mentioned rdac.

I think the rdac is fantastically natural sounding piece of kit. It doesn't force supposed detail at me like some sources. The detail is there but never in an obvious manner. The power supply is ok, not on par with most “hi-fi” but there are plenty of upgrade options. Considering it is the cheaper of my components it isn’t on my list of things to do next with regards to upgrades. Not for those who want to reveal more but its combined qualities produce a sound that closely resembles how I want my music to be presented.

dannycanham said:
Someone mentioned rdac.

I think the rdac is fantastically natural sounding piece of kit. It doesn't force supposed detail at me like some sources. The detail is there but never in an obvious manner. The power supply is ok, not on par with most “hi-fi” but there are plenty of upgrade options. Considering it is the cheaper of my components it isn’t on my list of things to do next with regards to upgrades. Not for those who want to reveal more but its combined qualities produce a sound that closely resembles how I want my music to be presented.

Yup, they seem to get a mixed bag when it comes opinions. WHFI rate it very highly, however, I've spoken to a couple of dealers and they confessed that the rDAC does lack a little sparkle compared to say DACMagic. In saying that, I haven't put any of those DACS in a test situation, so my claims are pure conjecture at this stage.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Yeah it does depend on whether sparkle matters to you. Personaly sparkle impresses me on a short term demo but naturalness is what I prefer to live with.

dannycanham said:
Yeah it does depend on whether sparkle matters to you. Personaly sparkle impresses me on a short term demo but naturalness is what I prefer to live with.

Can't argue with your findings. As I've just mentioned I haven't actually heard any DACS, so when these people mention "sparkle" it's hard to define, and how that would fit into the system/room acoustics/personal taste etc...

Interesting view, danny.

Cheers.

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Another review mentioned that Elvis needs it. I'm no expert on Elvis or what his music needs but a bit of sparkle is probably right. Personally when I play the acoustic guitar, ukulele or piano it doesn't sparkle. Neither does most of the music at gigs I go to. Sparkle is possibly the cutting through the music of a mid-high frequencies caused by hard on hard sound such as that when metal or glass comes into contact with metal or glass. It can add excitement and texture to music but as someone who has a preference of breathy vocals, vibrating wooden boxes, nylon strings, skin stretched over tabla rather than steel guitar and snare drums and cymbals. I know which emphasis I want in my playback and find that too much sparkle saturates what my head takes in and detracts from the other qualities of the instruments despite losing out a little on a more obvious and immediate emotional response to the music.

dannycanham said:
I understand what full stops are honest. Its been a long day.

No probs, it's very readable.

I think that sparkle could mean 'edgy' or 'bright'. Most reviews have said my Leema is bright and lean, but in a well damped room and with the right source (and isolation) the amp is neither of these.

I've had Arcam amps for 14 years and some have said that they aren't as lively as other price compatible amp, and they are warm. I've never really found that: The older Alpha range was slightly richer than later incarnations, but sometimes, especially with budget gear, a little warmth is a marked benefit.

Like you, I'm clapped out.

Cheers, pp

scene

survivor said:
If the title of this thread doesn`t bring Joel back then nothing will!

:D

As a card carrying Arcamite (I too know the handshake) I would say that Arcam kit sounds fantastic, but their quality control is a bit rubbish. What I mean is, they have a tendency to release kit with bugs in the software/firmware that hacks off even the most ardent fan. Look at the on-going issues the AVR600 had. So Arcam kit is fantastic sounding, but Arcam is rubbish at producing world-beating kit because of the QA issues they have.

manicm

Speaking as a Solo Mini owner, I have 2 main issues:

1. As gleaned from their other products, Arcam include some features as an afterthought which are half-baked e.g. the USB on the Mini.

2. As also gleaned from their other products, quality control falls through the cracks sometimes e.g. I have to switch to another source before I choose the rDock source for it to play at the correct volume.

Arcam really needs to jack up its quality control department - and they need to be informed that quality control does not only mean properly tightened screws.

Other than that the product is great.

Personally, I've no experience of any service or software problems, and the only contact I've had was when the volume control packed in on the Alpha 7. In the end I declined their offer of repair purely because of the carriage costs + parts.

BTW, Scene, thanks for the inspiration behind this thread... ;)

scene

plastic penguin said:
Personally, I've no experience of any service or software problems, and the only contact I've had was when the volume control packed in on the Alpha 7. In the end I declined their offer of repair purely because of the carriage costs + parts. BTW, Scene, thanks for the inspiration behind this thread... ;)

pp: Good to see someone picking up the baton - if AE thinks it's a rubbish thread, so be it - but without reasoned and reasonable discussion these forums will die...

On the "Arcam is rubbish" - OK it's a controversial title - but it has promoted discussion and some valid points are being made. If Mr. Dawson is reading, please feel free to contribute. There is a lot of goodwill for Arcam out there, and the kit can sound superb, but some of the niggling problems with software does detract from your great products....

manicm

Yeah, I hope Mr Dawson reads this thread too, I mean it's a real pity. Just downloaded the digital WHF and read the Blu-ray supertest, and the Arcam lacks for nothing in the audio/video departments, but issues like the reported 24fps problem will keep me at a safe distance from such an Arcam product.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I too hope Mr Dawson is reading, I'm listening to a CD right now on my near 20 year old Arcam Alpha CDP, still sounds fantastic. However, if he'd like it back for research into the longevity of their kit I would reluctantly swap it for a brand spanking new CD37, it'd be a wrench, but I think I could just about live with it
smiley-wink.gif

Paul.

I think 'warmth' as a characteristic of sound is useful in HiFi but not AV. I heard an AV600 with KEF floor standers all round, iq90 I think (except centre) playing Transformers 2 in Best Buy @cribbs. It may have just been the setup was poorly done, but to my ear it sounded far too coloured and personally preferred my own setup, all though my humble setup is much older and cheaper. I have no doubt the Arcam combo would have slaughtered my Onkyo/MA setup for music reproduction as I favour a warm sound for music.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Diamond Joe said:
Yes, I too hope Mr Dawson is reading, I'm listening to a CD right now on my near 20 year old Arcam Alpha CDP, still sounds fantastic. However, if he'd like it back for research into the longevity of their kit I would reluctantly swap it for a brand spanking new CD37, it'd be a wrench, but I think I could just about live with it
smiley-wink.gif

Taking one for the consumer eh? Hats off to you and your sacrifice sir!
smiley-laughing.gif

scene said:
plastic penguin said:
Personally, I've no experience of any service or software problems, and the only contact I've had was when the volume control packed in on the Alpha 7. In the end I declined their offer of repair purely because of the carriage costs + parts. BTW, Scene, thanks for the inspiration behind this thread... ;)

pp: Good to see someone picking up the baton - if AE thinks it's a rubbish thread, so be it - but without reasoned and reasonable discussion these forums will die...

On the "Arcam is rubbish" - OK it's a controversial title - but it has promoted discussion and some valid points are being made. If Mr. Dawson is reading, please feel free to contribute. There is a lot of goodwill for Arcam out there, and the kit can sound superb, but some of the niggling problems with software does detract from your great products....

Given our feelings about the forum it was appropriate to try at least promote a healthy debate. The title was very deliborate: WHFI sell thier mag, in the main, like any publisher, by having an eye-catching cover. On that premise "Arcam is rubbish" draws you in to at least look at the thread only to find everyone's comments has flipped the title around. It's probably the first thread, in some time, with more than 20 replies without any 'oneupmanship'. It was slightly risky. This could've backfired big-time - but it hasn't. Let's roll back the years.

And, yes, I really hope Mr. Dawson can read and respond to people's concerns. After all it is us mere mortals who've placed faith in the Arcam brand. Mr. Dawson, it's over to you...

scene

Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Given our feelings about the forum

Nope, lost me again...

I think he's trying to say that we like the forums Andrew and that we would like to see them continue as a place where people come to find interesting, useful and sometimes humorous discussions (at least vaguely) related to audiovisual stuff...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene said:
I think he's trying to say that we like the forums Andrew and that we would like to see them continue as a place where people come to find interesting, useful and sometimes humorous discussions (at least vaguely) related to audiovisual stuff...

Wasn't aware anyone was suggesting anything to the contrary, hence my confusion...

Andrew Everard said:
plastic penguin said:
Given our feelings about the forum

Nope, lost me again...

Scene is right, this forum used to be place where you could meet like-minded people, fun and informative. There are some of us still here who are willing to continue in the same spirit, but there are a number of protaganists who get a kick from friction. Due to the latter, many of our long-term forumites have left. I appreciate and adopt evolution but not when its detrimental to the forum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts