Arcam Irdac ii alternatives

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
The Irdac ii is a remote control preamp dac. It has bluetooth also

Are there any "cheaper" dac preamps with remote control, bluetooth is unnecessary, In fact one optical and one coaxial input would suffice, and it doesn't need to be able to do anything above cd quality resolution. Thanks

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Looks like very good value to me. I really should try something like this in place of my Audio Research and PS Audio preamp and DAC to see how it measures up.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The likes of the Sonos Connect and Bluesound Node II can be used as pre-amplifiers, despite being a stremaing product and giving you far more flexibility. At the £300-500 price point, you get what you pay for with regards to DAC quality (and general sound quality) as the difference in quality between the aforementioned two products is pretty big. It'll be the same comparing cheaper DACs that can double up as pre-amps. Having used a Node II as a source in a system worth just over £3000, I have to say it wasn't letting the system down in any way.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
davidf said:
The likes of the Sonos Connect and Bluesound Node II can be used as pre-amplifiers, despite being a stremaing product and giving you far more flexibility. At the £300-500 price point, you get what you pay for with regards to DAC quality (and general sound quality) as the difference in quality between the aforementioned two products is pretty big. It'll be the same comparing cheaper DACs that can double up as pre-amps. Having used a Node II as a source in a system worth just over £3000, I have to say it wasn't letting the system down in any way.

Bluesound node 2 I am sure is great at what it does. take away wifi though and it's useless

insider9

Ok, I've got an unusual solution :)

Cheaper than the Irdac II. I've not heard it but owned the previous model which sounded great. It isn't exactly what you're looking for but worth considering, especially since you get a lot extras.

Onkyo CRN 765. Both optical and coax inputs. Fully functional preamp with remote. Very good dac. Can be used with passive speakers if you wish but doesn't have to. Inbuilt amp isn't massive but will handle most sensitive speakers well. Streamer, usb player, radio, cd player, sub out. Currently selling for £299. Crazy value for money.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:

Cheaper than the Irdac II. I've not heard it but owned the previous model which sounded great. It isn't exactly what you're looking for but worth considering, especially since you get a lot extras.

Onkyo CRN 765. Both optical and coax inputs. Fully functional preamp with remote. Very good dac. Can be used with passive speakers if you wish but doesn't have to. Inbuilt amp isn't massive but will handle most sensitive speakers well. Streamer, usb player, radio, cd player, sub out. Currently selling for £299. Crazy value for money.

That's a well specced bit of stereo. It doesn't do preout though, just for a sub. Looks fab as well

insider9

muljao said:
insider9 said:

That's a well specced bit of stereo. It doesn't do preout though, just for a sub. Looks fab as well
Ah, my bad. Yes, only line out. Good option if you were to go with passive setup though.

insider9

Gazzip said:
https://www.iotaenterprises.co.uk/products/nakamichi-7-1-preamp-surround...
What a unit?! Nice find, Gazzip. Room correction and adjustable crossovers? Add 2 power amps, bi-wireable speakers with crossovers removed and you could have an active setup :)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I did find this, but can't see it available anywhere, looks the business

https://emotiva.com/products/pres-and-pros/pt-100

Edit-seems can be bought direct, 281 euro, probably about 235 pounds, this could be a runner

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
davidf said:
I did a bit of reading on this and similar units yesterday, i have a Raumfeld Connector myself, that's like a less specced one of the nodes. According to what i have read you could connect this to a home network wirelessly and even if no internet you should be able to use it to stream your own music, obviously it wouldn't connect to outside services.

It seems internet isn't required to use the app, but you could seemingly run it off a phones hotspot also if required

Enjoy the node 2

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts