Arcam FMJ Amp choice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
@Dan Turner

IMO, there is a stark difference between was it technically brilliant sounding and what fits into a particular system. I've heard so many set-ups over the years that are brilliant individuals but as synergy goes, it destroys the whole sound.

Likewise I've always mentioned about "instant impact", where a component or set of components immediately impresses but, as a long-term proposition, can become tiresome. That's why I'm a big Arcam fan. It won't instantly impress, great to live with.

yep, I doubt I'll ever go back but I'll always have a soft spot for Arcam

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
churchill1963 said:
paulsue38 said:
Unilet sale not many left when I ordered though!

Paul

Paul, thanks for the heads up, I've just ordered the last one. It an absolute bargain at that price.

Danny

No problem. Glad you managed to get one. I thought about it for a while but when an opportunity like this arises it is too good to miss! Unilet really good to deal with as well. Just the lack of a phono stage is the only drawback could have had one fitted for £120 but will have to wait. My brother has loaned me an external phono stage for now. What are you going to use with the amp?

Paul

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
The Arcam has input trim level adjustment. Any A38 owners use these? Do they influence the quality of the sound or just the comparitive levels?

Paul

I don't use them as I rarely switch inputs. I mostly use cd and av fixed gain so I don't have any issues.

churchill1963

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
churchill1963 said:
paulsue38 said:

Paul

Paul, thanks for the heads up, I've just ordered the last one. It an absolute bargain at that price.

Danny

No problem. Glad you managed to get one. I thought about it for a while but when an opportunity like this arises it is too good to miss! Unilet really good to deal with as well. Just the lack of a phono stage is the only drawback could have had one fitted for £120 but will have to wait. My brother has loaned me an external phono stage for now. What are you going to use with the amp?

Paul

I have a pro-ject turntable, Marantz SA7001, Marantz NA7004 and KEF LS50 speakers. It will replace a Cambridge Audio A5 amp that I have been looking to replace since getting the NA7004 and LS50s.

The lack of phono stage is no problem as I have an external phono stage already. I don't use the turntable that much and I am looking to record/convert all my albums so I can listen to them through the NA7004.

Danny

phydeau

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
First time post: long time viewer.

Excuse me for butting in; but I saw your news on this thread about the A38's at Unilet, and ordered one last weekend over the net. It looked just the thing I was looking for to get the best out of my ATC SCM's at a sensible price, and if the mix didn't work, the price was so good that I could sell it on without too much damage.

But, I called them on Monday to see if they had the order, and they said they had run out of stock, while still taking orders on the net. They were very apologetic, and a bit embarrased, and tried ot source me one from somewhere, but couldn't.

Thought this might be of interest.

John

churchill1963

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
churchill1963 said:
paulsue38 said:

Paul

Danny

Hi Danny has the A38 arrived what do you think of it?

Paul

Hi Paul, when I ordered there was one left. On Monday I received a call from Joe at Unilet, saying sorry but too many had been ordered and they had run out. He did say he would try and get one from Arcam and would call. I didn't hold out much hope of getting one and sure enough, Joe called to say he couldn't get one. It would have been an ideal replacement for the CA A5 to go with the LS50s. I had already looked at the A19, but may wait to see what deals are available.

I hope it doesn't take 25 years to replace the amp it took me to replace my Rogers speakers with the LS50s.

Danny

churchill1963

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
phydeau said:
First time post: long time viewer.

Excuse me for butting in; but I saw your news on this thread about the A38's at Unilet, and ordered one last weekend over the net. It looked just the thing I was looking for to get the best out of my ATC SCM's at a sensible price, and if the mix didn't work, the price was so good that I could sell it on without too much damage.

But, I called them on Monday to see if they had the order, and they said they had run out of stock, while still taking orders on the net. They were very apologetic, and a bit embarrased, and tried ot source me one from somewhere, but couldn't.

Thought this might be of interest.

John

Your not butting in John. Sorry you had the same outcome as me and there were others according to the shop. It pays to trawl the internet and get in early when the really good deals are new and they still have plenty of stock.

Danny

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts