Arcam FMJ Amp choice

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
The New A19 has had excellent reviews and is clearly a very good value amp. However, the A28 and A 38 are starting to discount. Would like to guage what people feel about the realive merits of each amp. Do the improvements that they have made in the design of the A19 outweigh the sonic improvements of say the more expensive A38?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

I have and love the sound of my Arcam A28. I actually heard an A19 recently with a Kandy CD player to test out some Kef LS50 and I don't think it quite had the guts to get the best out of the them. I've not heard an A38 in comparison so can't give you any insight there other than the say the Arcam house sound sgould be consistent across the amps with the higher range units having more control over dynamics.

It is really is advisable to hear these amps with your speakers though as the relationship between amp and speakers is key!

matthewpiano

I wouldn't get too carried away with the 'upgrades' made from the A18 to the A19. The difference certainly won't be as huge as the difference between the A18 and A38. If you can stretch to the A38, get one. It is a superb amplifier.

Do audition first though - p_m_brown's advice is spot on.

paulsue38 said:
The New A19 has had excellent reviews and is clearly a very good value amp. However, the A28 and A 38 are starting to discount. Would like to guage what people feel about the realive merits of each amp. Do the improvements that they have made in the design of the A19 outweigh the sonic improvements of say the more expensive A38?

Looking at your sig I'd say the A38 would better the Kandy and be good enough to make the most of the Spendors. The Kandy LIII is darn good amp and would take at least Caspian, Leema or Arcam A38 to better it.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Many thanks, from the responses so far sounds like the A38 is a good choice. I would also like to change the CD player as well eventally. How have you got on with the Naim so far? Would be a good combination with the Spendors I think.

Paul

paulsue38 said:
Many thanks, from the responses so far sounds like the A38 is a good choice. I would also like to change the CD player as well eventally. How have you got on with the Naim so far? Would be a good combination with the Spendors I think.

Paul

Surprisingly the Naim is very good with my amp (still can't stand the look, though), however, I would suggest the Arcam and Naim may not quite hit the mark. If you go for the A38 I strongly recommend CD37 or, if you want to use a different brand, Exposure CD 2010S2. The synergy is very good between Arcam and Exposure.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I would say that it is tonally neutral, has a wide soundstage, good separation, well controlled bass, good detail presented in a subtle way, handles all genres very well. Obviously I love it and that's why I bought it but try and get a demo as you may not agree. Also your partnering equipment is very different to mine which could mean a total change in sound.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Ben K. said:
I would say that it is tonally neutral, has a wide soundstage, good separation, well controlled bass, good detail presented in a subtle way, handles all genres very well.
a good summary - the A38 has a more upfront midband that its predecessor the A32 which was more laid back and the A38 is a beaufiful amplifier with wide and airy soundstage, great detail but a sweet treble and weighty but controlled bass are its strengths. What A38 does give you is more depth and weight to the bass than the cheaper models and if you can stretch will likely prevent you thinking again about an upgrade. as mentioned the A38 and CD37 are a stunning combination to listen to and really dont see the point it trying to match with other brand CD players if you afford the CD37. a demo is still a good idea though as people have different tastes.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
Ben K. said:
I would say that it is tonally neutral, has a wide soundstage, good separation, well controlled bass, good detail presented in a subtle way, handles all genres very well.
a good summary - the A38 has a more upfront midband that its predecessor the A32 which was more laid back and the A38 is a beaufiful amplifier with wide and airy soundstage, great detail but a sweet treble and weighty but controlled bass are its strengths. What A38 does give you is more depth and weight to the bass than the cheaper models and if you can stretch will likely prevent you thinking again about an upgrade. as mentioned the A38 and CD37 are a stunning combination to listen to and really dont see the point it trying to match with other brand CD players if you afford the CD37. a demo is still a good idea though as people have different tastes.

I would agree with that review

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
As an update I have just bought an A38 in Silver on special offer delivered for £720 so not a bad deal. Early impressions are good but I assume it will need some running in time? Just need a new CD player now to go with the A38 and my Spendor A3's? Any suggestions gratefully received. The CD 37 is too expensive for me at the moment.

Paul

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
That is a very good price. I would imagine that it will not need running in tbh. What is your budget for a cdp? I tried out a roksan k2 cdp and thought it worked very well with the arcam. Not heard your speakers so not sure what to suggest although I would imagine the arcam cd17 would work well. If you can demo try marantz pearl lite, audiolab 8200, rega apollo r also. I'm sure most cdps in the same price bracket will work well and all offer subtle differences but those differences can be very important long term.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
paulsue38 said:
the A28 and A 38 are starting to discount.

Which would seem to indicate an A29 and A39 are on the way. Personally I'd wait to audition the new amps when they first come out, and then try to pick up a discounted A28 or A38 if I didn't think there were worthwhile improvements. As you can see, the A18 is availablea at a discount even though the A19 has been released.

I'd definitely want to audition to see what worked best/what I liked best, but I'd be leaning towards the A28 or A38 over A19.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Ben K. said:
That is a very good price. I would imagine that it will not need running in tbh. What is your budget for a cdp? I tried out a roksan k2 cdp and thought it worked very well with the arcam. Not heard your speakers so not sure what to suggest although I would imagine the arcam cd17 would work well. If you can demo try marantz pearl lite, audiolab 8200, rega apollo r also. I'm sure most cdps in the same price bracket will work well and all offer subtle differences but those differences can be very important long term.

Thanks Ben, a useful list for me to consider.

Paul

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I nearly bought one myself but then managed to get a cd37 ex demo for 800. Are you able to demo or are you buying blind?

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Congrats on the new amp! I wasn't massively impressed with the Roksan Candy CDP as I didn't feel it was any better than my Arcam CD17 I had at the time. However, the Audiolab 8200 sounded a bit more exciting with my Arcam amp so is definitely worth a listen if the Cd37 is over budget.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I used to have a CD37 and A32 (latterly A32+P35). I would agree that the CD37 is a lovely sounding CDP, and although I've moved on a long way with the way I use my system, I regretted get rid of it for a long time (in favour of a laptop/DacMagic combo which impressed me initially and felt more modern, but over time I came to realise didn't sound as good). The Cd 37 has a simply divine bass, I remember auditioning and thinking that it was just starkly more 'flavoursome' (for want of a better term) than either the Cyrus Cd8SE or Naim CD5X I demoed against it. If the amps have continued to improve then the A38 must also be a great amp, especially if it improves on the A32 in the way that Matthewpiano found.

I would say however that if you've got spendor speakers, I'd take a look at a Naim amp if you get a chance,, Spendors can be a bit laid back and the Naims are a bit crisper and snappier (at least compared to my experience of the A32 etc).

@Dan Turner

IMO, there is a stark difference between was it technically brilliant sounding and what fits into a particular system. I've heard so many set-ups over the years that are brilliant individuals but as synergy goes, it destroys the whole sound.

Likewise I've always mentioned about "instant impact", where a component or set of components immediately impresses but, as a long-term proposition, can become tiresome. That's why I'm a big Arcam fan. It won't instantly impress, great to live with.

paulsue38

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
The Arcam has input trim level adjustment. Any A38 owners use these? Do they influence the quality of the sound or just the comparitive levels?

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts