Arcam FMJ A32 vs Creek Classic 5350SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

What are your thoughts specifically on Arcam FMJ A32 vs Creek Classic 5350SE?

The amp would be used with DALI Ikon 6 speakers, Rega P3-24 turntable, and a suitable CDP to be chosen later.

The features of the A32 seem better, but what idea I have of the two amps having listened to other Arcam and Creek products, I am slightly leaning towards the "creek sound"...

I listen to progressive rock / metal / classical / jazz / fusion

Many thanks

Roman

A

Anonymous

Creek amps are usually toe tapping kinds, where the Arcam is a bit more subdued. Ive had a creek evo which was alot of fun to listen to, but never heard the exact amps your looking at.

A few people on here have the A32 amp so will be able to tell you alot more about it though.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I wouldnt say that the Arcam A32 is subduded; the oppostive in fact.

People tend to mark Arcam as warm and mellow however the likes of some of the DiVA range (i.e. A85) and the FMJ range (the A32) are very good indeed. They do have warmth to their sound but they're punchy and precise and have bags of power in reserve as well.

As for the Creek I'm not sure; not heard Creek amps before but Plastic Penguin and Gerrardsnails will prob be along soon
emotion-5.gif

Yup, but not the models the OP is specifying. Last week I loaned a Creek Evo 2 and I have to say I was both impressed and slightly let down. The Creek retrieves some excellent detail and the bass is really expressive, although the midrange left a lot to be desired. As for the 5350SE, I couldn't tell you, but if memory serves me right, WHFI reviewed the original 5350 and gave it 4 stars; the problem, according to the review was it lacked detail and the last drop of cohesion.

Not heard the A32, but the A85 is very good and all Arcams are lashed with inputs, something that wasn't practical for me with the Creek.

Sorry, can't be more help.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The belief that the Arcam A32 is subdued is really not right - it is clear, controlled and punchy as already highlighted. What it does have is a lovely smooth treble which may be why people think its subdued but this simply makes vocals all the more enjoyable

Also bear in mind the phono stage that was built into my A32 is really good as well and as i run with a P3-24 i can vouch for it as a good choice

The A32 comes with all the features and controls you would ever need such as input balancing, tone, and channel balance all of which are electronic and dont interfere when not in use. A great all rounder.

I have sung the praise for the A32 but cant make a comparison to the Creek im afraid.

crusaderlord:The belief that the Arcam A32 is subdued is really not right - it is clear, controlled and punchy as already highlighted. What it does have is a lovely smooth treble which may be why people think its subdued but this simply makes vocals all the more enjoyable Also bear in mind the phono stage that was built into my A32 is really good as well and as i run with a P3-24 i can vouch for it as a good choice The A32 comes with all the features and controls you would ever need such as input balancing, tone, and channel balance all of which are electronic and dont interfere when not in use. A great all rounder. I have sung the praise for the A32 but cant make a comparison to the Creek im afraid.

Well said - Arcam tends to get a lukewarm response on the forum, with the exception of three or four people.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
yes Arcam is one of those that is popular to knock - unfounded i think

i have tried a whole host of separates over the years and at the price level i paid this is best product combination ive heard

maybe i have different ears to other people but i find them a really great listen from the A65 through to the A38

one tip though which is the usual contraversial one - i did find adding in the more expensive copperline mains cable really opened up the soundstage to another level i.e from very good to stunning

crusaderlord:yes Arcam is one of those that is popular to knock - unfounded i think i have tried a whole host of separates over the years and at the price level i paid this is best product combination ive heard maybe i have different ears to other people but i find them a really great listen from the A65 through to the A38 one tip though which is the usual contraversial one - i did find adding in the more expensive copperline mains cable really opened up the soundstage to another level i.e from very good to stunning

I have also found, even my entry-level amp does respond better to good quality cables.

I don't object to people not liking the Arcam sound - we're all different. What does give me the pip is when some, naming no names, openly slag off a product. That's wrong! every brand or product has merit, even if it's a brand that makes your ears bleed....

A

Anonymous

Wasn't knocking Arcam, as I have one of their cd players. The amps arent for me, but the world would be so boring if we all liked the same things.

Having not heard the A32, I should not of commented, but it won awards and was very highly rated.

There, I am being very nice about Arcam
emotion-1.gif

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The FMJ A32 was highly regarded and an award winner.

The great news now is that given its 2nd hand cost for an excellent condition one at say £600 - £700 it now competes in field where it clearly shows its class over newr products at this price

i also like Creek as well but havent heard the amp in question but i hear they match really well with Epos which is a more budget end speaker i highly rate

A

Anonymous

Creek match very well with Epos, as they are situated next door to eachother and are the same company for all intent and purposes.

A

Anonymous

has anyone had any experience matching either Arcam or Creek with DALI speakers?

as Arcam A32's reputation is significantly better than that of the A38, so is the A32 a much better amp?

I spoke to Luke Creek yesterday and all he could say on the differences between different Creek products was to do with technical specs: that one product had new relays, another had a different transformer, etc but couldn't say anything on the voicings and said he hadn't directly compared any of the products. Wasn't too impressed, in all honesty....

potboyslim:

Wasn't knocking Arcam, as I have one of their cd players. The amps arent for me, but the world would be so boring if we all liked the same things.

Having not heard the A32, I should not of commented, but it won awards and was very highly rated.

There, I am being very nice about Arcam
emotion-1.gif

It wasn't aimed at you, potboyslim
emotion-5.gif

roman_sub:

has anyone had any experience matching either Arcam or Creek with DALI speakers?

as Arcam A32's reputation is significantly better than that of the A38, so is the A32 a much better amp?

I spoke to Luke Creek yesterday and all he could say on the differences between different Creek products was to do with technical specs: that one product had new relays, another had a different transformer, etc but couldn't say anything on the voicings and said he hadn't directly compared any of the products. Wasn't too impressed, in all honesty....

Joelsim used to own Arcam A85/P85 with Dali Ikon 6 and love it.

Based on my A65 and Evo 2, they both share similar sonic traits and I did briefly describe this in an earlier post. The best possible advice is dem either an Evo or Destiny and Arcam A38 and decide for yourself.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin,

Would you mind going into a bit more detail with regard to the differences between A65 and Evo 2, I'm just curious to see if what I think is the difference between Arcam & Creek agrees with your experience?

Thanks,

Roman

roman_sub:

plastic penguin,

Would you mind going into a bit more detail with regard to the differences between A65 and Evo 2, I'm just curious to see if what I think is the difference between Arcam & Creek agrees with your experience?

Thanks,

Roman

Of course...

...both the Arcam and Creek are fairly neutral amps. The Creek had a slightly better defined detail to treble and bass, allied to tad sharper dynamics. They both timed very well.

I was expecting a much cleaner sound to the Creek, but it had a lovely earthy, organic sound like Arcam.

Bare in mind that the Evo is over nearly twice the RRP of the Arcam. And Creek amps [certainly not Evo] do not have a dedicated AV input, and it was a lack of inputs that ultimately turned me away. Very good sound amp though...

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:roman_sub:

plastic penguin,

Thanks,

Roman

Of course...

...both the Arcam and Creek are fairly neutral amps. The Creek had a slightly better defined detail to treble and bass, allied to tad sharper dynamics. They both timed very well.

I was expecting a much cleaner sound to the Creek, but it had a lovely earthy, organic sound like Arcam.

Bare in mind that the Evo is over nearly twice the RRP of the Arcam. And Creek amps [certainly not Evo] do not have a dedicated AV input, and it was a lack of inputs that ultimately turned me away. Very good sound amp though...

Hope this helps.

That's pretty consistent with my own thoughts. A32's features are outstanding, but I do like the presentation and tighter tone of the Creek. I think that I will be wanting something fairly aggressive and dynamic in the CDP/ amp setup to get the most of the DALI's open sound.

How much more dynamic & tight is the Naim sound compared to the Creek? I heard Naim is pretty trebly...

roman_sub:plastic penguin:roman_sub:

plastic penguin,

Thanks,

Roman

Of course...

Hope this helps.

That's pretty consistent with my own thoughts. A32's features are outstanding, but I do like the presentation and tighter tone of the Creek. I think that I will be wanting something fairly aggressive and dynamic in the CDP/ amp setup to get the most of the DALI's open sound.

How much more dynamic & tight is the Naim sound compared to the Creek? I heard Naim is pretty trebly...

Firstly, I've not heard the Dalis. But the Creek has excellent synergy with my MAs, like Arcam; Arcam, likewise, has very good synergy with Dalis, so logic tells me that Creek will marry well with Dali. If you gauging an amp purely on sound the Creek would edge it against the A65.

As regards to Naim I've had mixed experience with this brand: when I home demo'd the Nait with my current gear it was absolutely dreadful. It was boomy beyond what was reasonable....'orrible. When I was invited to 'The Towers' last summer I heard the same amp with Cyrus CDP and ATC SCM 11 speakers it sounded scrummy.

If you have long listening sessions I would certainly plump for either Arcam, Creek and Dali. If sonic aggression is what you're seeking then Naim would be the ideal solution, but don't partner it with Arcam and/or MA floorstanders...

A

Anonymous

If your thinking of Naim, then definately audition it first, as it was not my cup of tea at all. Everyones tastes are different though as I said.

A

Anonymous

Just goes to show how subjective sound is. I went in to my local hi-fi dealer with the aim of getting an Arcam FMJ A32 to upgrade my Audiolab 8000A. After a demo and home audition I ended up with a Naim Nait 5i, which to my ears was much more musical and dynamic, if low on feature count. This is not to say that the Arcam was poor - far from it. Tastes vary!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts