Choosing a CDP for Creek Classic 5350se

Hey all, hoping to get some feedback here.

My system is currently Creek Classic 5350SE with Neat Motive 3 speakers. Previously I had an Arcam A28 and did not enjoy it at all, was very underwhelming for me. I usually stream music but I've tried playing my CD's through an Arcam DV135 DVD player and the quality was amazing. Thus, I want to improve on that and get a dedicated CDP.

These are the CD players that fit my budget:

1) Arcam CD17 or CD73, Exposure 3010, Rega Apollo

2) Exposure 2010s2 (stretching my budget a bit)

3) Creek Destiny (stretching my budget alot)

The Exposure 3010 is a bit dated and the Apollo's have some mech issues so I'm reluctant on those. I can't decide though if I should stick to the Arcam or if its worth stretching my budget now for the Exposure or Creek (assuming it will tame my need to upgrade for a longer time)

What do you think?

PS- I also have MA GX50 in my other system that may replace the Neat's eventually.. don't think that should change the decision though

Itsik Hefez said:
Hey all, hoping to get some feedback here.

My system is currently Creek Classic 5350SE with Neat Motive 3 speakers. Previously I had an Arcam A28 and did not enjoy it at all, was very underwhelming for me. I usually stream music but I've tried playing my CD's through an Arcam DV135 DVD player and the quality was amazing. Thus, I want to improve on that and get a dedicated CDP.

These are the CD players that fit my budget:

1) Arcam CD17 or CD73, Exposure 3010, Rega Apollo

2) Exposure 2010s2 (stretching my budget a bit)

3) Creek Destiny (stretching my budget alot)

The Exposure 3010 is a bit dated and the Apollo's have some mech issues so I'm reluctant on those. I can't decide though if I should stick to the Arcam or if its worth stretching my budget now for the Exposure or Creek (assuming it will tame my need to upgrade for a longer time)

What do you think?

PS- I also have MA GX50 in my other system that may replace the Neat's eventually.. don't think that should change the decision though

What makes you think any of these CDP's is going to sound better than what you got through the DV135?

What is your budget exactly?

Ever thought of taking the digital audio out from the DV135 (using it as a transport) and taking that to a modern DAC?

My thought is that the DV135 has alot of extra hardware that is video related that is not in use. So for the same manufacture price a dedicate CD should be better for CD playback purposes (as its compoments should be of higher quality)

I was considering a Rega DAC, but I'd like to reduce the DV135 box as it is, since it is huge (and the mech isn't too quiet).

I was thinking of keeping it simple with a dedicated CDP..

Well, I owned a Electrcompaniet PC-1, which originally retailed at about £1200. TBH, and to my ears, it wasn't that much better than my old CD73T. In turn, I play a lot of CDs through a Panasonic Blu-ray player - IMO it's hard hear a difference between that and the Arcam.

Agree with Al, I would try and audition a DAC, such as a Arcam rDac and use the DVD player as transport.

That said, you might find a different CDP will yield improved gains. As always, try and audition before loosening your wallet.

Itsik Hefez said:
My thought is that the DV135 has alot of extra hardware that is video related that is not in use. So for the same manufacture price a dedicate CD should be better for CD playback purposes (as its compoments should be of higher quality)

I was considering a Rega DAC, but I'd like to reduce the DV135 box as it is, since it is huge (and the mech isn't too quiet).

I was thinking of keeping it simple with a dedicated CDP..

If that's the case, and unless you know exactly what you are looking at, then I would urge you to buy new. This way you have some sort of warranty and are not at risk of additional expense in the way sudden hardwear / laser mechanism failure.

What is your budget?

There is a refurbished (by Creek) Creek Evolution 50A CDP on eBay at the moment for £320

Thanks. I am located in the US, but I buy occasionaly from UK sources. My budget would be around 480 gbp or 600 usd. I feel that in that price range, used is a better bargain, but it does incur the risk that you mention.

BTW that is a Creek Evolution (EVO 1) and not a 50a. I've already seen it ;)

Itsik Hefez said:
Thanks. I am located in the US, but I buy occasionaly from UK sources. My budget would be around 480 gbp or 600 usd. I feel that in that price range, used is a better bargain, but it does incur the risk that you mention.

BTW that is a Creek Evolution (EVO 1) and not a 50a. I've already seen it ;)

Apologies. Posted that last bit before I saw you were in US. Have you any Creek dealers there that might have ex-demo stuff?

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
I've had a play over the years with DVD/blu ray players and for me they didn't work compared to a dedicated CDP. Worth trying a outboard DAC but certainly don't discount a CDP player especially if it has a DAC you can use also.

The problem is as you have stated Itsik these Blu ray/DVD machines are specified firstly for video processing.

Itsik Hefez said:
The Evo 50A would be ideal since it also has digital inputs which I could connect my computer to. But it is out of my budget. Ordered new from UK is around 1000$ and same price for an ex-demo in the US (retail is $1500)

Do you know anyone in the UK that could get that re-conditioned one and ship it for you? Perhaps if you asked Creek they might ship it to the States (check voltage requirements, if different, are appropriate though)

Itsik Hefez said:
I emailed a few stores about ex-demo, we'll see based on their response.

Isn't that reconditioned an original Evo (and not 50A)? If so, there are other options in that price that ship directly to the US

It is, my mistake. You are not going to get the 50CD for that price as they retail at £999 here. NOTE: the 50A is an amp and not a CD player

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts