Dithering about a new CD Player

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have been updating my hi-fi system over the last couple of years, as funds permitted. I am now happy with the sound I get from playing records, which is achieved by the following:

Ortofon 2M Blue > Pro-Ject 2 Xperience Acrylic > Arcam A19 > Dali Zensor 5

Currently, CD playing duties fall to a Marantz CD6005 which does a good job, but I think I can possibly do better.

I have a number of options open to me and I would appreciate people’s thoughts on them. (None of the dealers are particularly near to me so I am trying to narrow down my options before doing a lot of travelling).

1. An Arcam CDS27 for £799. It seems the logical choice but my recent experience of Arcam disc players is not good. (I have previously had a CD17 and DVD135, both of which had problems with the disc mechanisms. The CD82 and Alpha 7 I had many years ago were both fine).

2. An almost new Rega Saturn R for £999. Not a bad price for a £1,700 machine

3. A Cambridge CXN Streamer and CXC CD Transport for £999. In addition to the CD player, like the Arcam this gives me the ability to stream from my NAS drive (which currently services a Sonos system) and allows me to play my small collection of Hi Res downloads.

4. A Marantz SA8005 for £649, based on my experience with the CD6005.

5. Buy a Q DAC for £199 and save a lot of money.

I am most tempted by the Rega Saturn R or the Cambridge combo, for different reasons. I definitely want to keep a CD player in my system.

My budget is up to £1,000 or so. I listen to classic rock/pop (ELO, Queen, Beatles) and classical music (mostly symphonic or ‘smooth classics’).

Any thoughts or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

peter312 said:
I have been updating my hi-fi system over the last couple of years, as funds permitted. I am now happy with the sound I get from playing records, which is achieved by the following:

Currently, CD playing duties fall to a Marantz CD6005 which does a good job, but I think I can possibly do better.

I have a number of options open to me and I would appreciate people’s thoughts on them. (None of the dealers are particularly near to me so I am trying to narrow down my options before doing a lot of travelling).

1. An Arcam CDS27 for £799. It seems the logical choice but my recent experience of Arcam disc players is not good. (I have previously had a CD17 and DVD135, both of which had problems with the disc mechanisms. The CD82 and Alpha 7 I had many years ago were both fine).

3. A Cambridge CXN Streamer and CXC CD Transport for £999. In addition to the CD player, like the Arcam this gives me the ability to stream from my NAS drive (which currently services a Sonos system) and allows me to play my small collection of Hi Res downloads.

I am most tempted by the Rega Saturn R or the Cambridge combo, for different reasons. I definitely want to keep a CD player in my system.

My budget is up to £1,000 or so. I listen to classic rock/pop (ELO, Queen, Beatles) and classical music (mostly symphonic or ‘smooth classics’).

Many thanks.

Peter,

If you simply want CD playback then the Rega option is a good one, if you want other options then the Cambridge combo would appear to be good (never heard it myself) however I'd like to suggest another option.

Buy an Oppo 105eu. This has reknown sound and video ability, a true universal player (SACD, DVD-A etc) that will also network and play hires downloads from memory sticks etc.

Mine replace a Stello CD transport Dac combo which, in itself, was very good indeed and originally cost 3x the Oppo. To my mind, and others who listened, the Oppo beat the Stello when it came to SQ. Should you wish, in the future, there are upgrade option you could get without completely replacing this machine, although they are a tad expensive.

Perhaps a cheaper option that does much the same can be found in the Onkyo C-N7050, this leaves out the video side of things and is basically a network player with CD.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
My opinion.

Dont waste your money. Unless the Marantz is faulty you're unlikely to get any improvement from another cup.

There may be a fractional change by adding a seperate DAC, but I doubt it.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
From my personal perspective with HiFi that you only ever really notice an irrefutable difference by doubling the price, carefully audition anything you might be interested in, and evne better, ask if you can borrow it to try on your home system.

peter312 said:

Many thanks.

You could always look at Electrocompaniet PC-1 (retailed at around £1200). I'm thinking about selling mine purely because it's surplus to requirements. It is in 'mint' condition both mechanically and aesthetically. Hardly used. Purchased from a proper dealer in November 2014.

The SQ is excellent, beautifully balanced and should work a treat with Arcam and Dali Zenor 5.

Apologies to all. I know I shouldn't promote on here but if the OP can get a good deal and it'll keep Mrs. P quiet to boot.

plastic penguin said:
peter312 said:

Many thanks.

You could always look at Electrocompaniet PC-1 (retailed at around £1200). I'm thinking about selling mine purely because it's surplus to requirements. It is in 'mint' condition both mechanically and aesthetically. Hardly used. Purchased from a proper dealer in November 2014.

The SQ is excellent, beautifully balanced and should work a treat with Arcam and Dali Zenor 5.

Apologies to all. I know I shouldn't promote on here but if the OP can get a good deal and it'll keep Mrs. P quiet to boot.

Certainly worth a punt then I'd say.... :)

For exclusively CD playback the PC-1 is very good by all accounts (have not been fortunate enough to hear one myself I should point out).

philpot1001

May 28, 2015
Visit site
interesting topic for me, im in a similar boat at the moment......"if" i ever decide to commit and upgrade i will be doing the amp and speakers first, then possibly the CD-player.......at the moment my gut is erring towards an additional DAC, possibly MDAC or Pioneer U-05 ( i like the idea of having a dedicated headphone amp).

My feelings are im sceptical a transport will make that much difference, but believe a DAC possibly can. However, thats just gut feel as i have not tested the theory out in anger. I do think the amp and speakers make up the majority of the SQ though (provided you have a reasonable source - which you do), so any benefits will be 2nd order to any amp / speakers

As stated, testing is key though

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I supposedly downgraded two years ago from an Arcam CD192 to a Marantz CD6005 as I had a number of laser failures on the Arcam requiring it to be returned for repairs. It also was very fussy over reading discs. I couldn't afford to buy a supposedly equivalent product, so bought the Marantz, I haven't missed the Arcam for one second, as there appears to be no difference in my enjoyment, you may find the perceived improvement is what clever marketing and premium pricing wants you to hear.

I've used the Marantz utilising its own dac and through a Cambridge dac magic 100 and just love the sound it makes, there is no massive difference to my ears.

It may be worth spending your money on more music.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've not heard the CD6005 but I upgraded from the CD6004 to the SA8005 last year. It is materially better and I say that from the standpoint of a sceptic. One CD can prove it, and I supect from what you say you might like it, and that is Crosby, Still, Nash and Young Deja Vu. I had got into thinking that it was one of those recordings that are "of the moment" and fade as time passes. On the SA8005 it is revealed as a wonderful performance, of its time certainly but still brilliant all these years later. The SA8005 just extracts more from the CD - I didn't really think that was possible but there you are. Have a listen!

Chris

If your marantz has an optical/coaxial out and is working fine,I'd take it into a dealer and try and dem it with a chord Hugo dac,using the cd player as a transport.It should make a good upgrade to any streamer you might purchase in future also . Although above budget it could be just what you might consider a decent source upgrade.I reckon you'd have to go close to a 2k player for a really marked improvement in s/q after a sub 1k player.I can't say I've heard the Hugo yet,but it has been raved about on a certain forum I visit now and again.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
"but I think I can possibly do better."

I'm really not convinced that the buying of any cd player in the -2k $ range will bring any improvement at all. They tend to have all the same techs and the same setup. And I doubt, in some normal listening room, that you will hear any improvement, even if changing for a "massively better" cd player. For this "tiny bit better" you will have to throw a lot of money in the well. And, for this reason, I find it not intersting to tune up your gear from this side.

Speaker and room are the two golden key components. Every penny invested there will bring high gains in quality.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comments. I apologise for not replying sooner but unfortunately the forum decided my posts were spam. The kind Mr Duncan has now sorted it out.

Having read the comments and gone to listen to some players for myself I have settled on an Audiolab 8200CDQ and I am very pleased with the synergy it has with my Arcam amp and Dali speakers.

Thank you all.

peter312

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Thank you everyone for your comments. I apologise for not replying sooner but unfortunately the forum decided my posts were spam. The kind Mr Duncan has now sorted it out.

Having read the comments and gone to listen to some players for myself I have settled on an Audiolab 8200CDQ and I am very pleased with the synergy it has with my Arcam amp and Dali speakers.

Thank you all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts