Arcam Fmj a18 £469, any good?

nickd34

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
anyone got any views on the Arcam Fmj a18? on sale at the mo at audio t for £469.

Thinking about an upgrade to this amp from a Nad C326bee any thoughts how it may match my Nad C545bee and Kef Iq5se.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

not the best deal around. i saw a s/hand a38 for £650 which is a steal for such a sublime amp!!!
s/hand options will get you more bang for your buck if you are willing to explore that avenue...

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
emotion-21.gif
It's a great amp and IMO would work well with your NAD and Kefs.

But you must demo with your CDP and speakers before you buy - you might not like Arcam's 'house sound', just the same way that some folks don't like Cyrus's, Naim's etc, etc...

nickd34:

anyone got any views on the Arcam Fmj a18? on sale at the mo at audio t for £469.

Thinking about an upgrade to this amp from a Nad C326bee any thoughts how it may match my Nad C545bee and Kef Iq5se.

Thanks

It's a nice little amp and less than £500 has to be a steal. Not heard your particular Nad, but if it's like other Nads the Arcam should give a more rounded sound.

matthewpiano

The A18 is a good amp. A nice rounded sound, slightly on the soft side at times but never uncomfortable to listen to.

However, if you like the rhythmic drive and involvement your NAD gives you, don't buy the A18 as in that respect it will be a retrograde step. I've got an A18 but I've actually ended up with a Rotel RA-04SE as well and, the majority of the time, I prefer listening to the Rotel for its greater level of involvement, detail and energy. The Rotel gives me everything I used to like about my NAD but with a bit more control, particularly at the bass end of things. It also amazes me that the midrange is better on the Rotel than on the Arcam. In short, when I listen to the Rotel I focus completely on the music whereas with the Arcam it SOMETIMES feels like something is missing.

Personally I think your NAD is a great amp and to make a worthwhile improvement I'd suggest thinking more in terms of a Rotel RA-1520 or a Creek Evo 2.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts