Arcam Diva AVR280 Receiver & DV135 DVD Player £1000!

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Seeing a post for the AVR280 I see Superfi are selling these 2 Arcam seperates for £1000! Is this too good to be true?

Whats the catch?

Would these be a good match for B&W MT-20 sub/sat theatre system, especially for Stereo and 2.1 I am wondering or will sub/sats not be good enough to benefit from Arcam gear? I am now tempted with the Arcam instead of Onkyo's 605 AV amp and Marantz DV6001.

Will the Arcam really outshine the Onkyo/Marantz in CD playback and be as good with Video playback and upscaling DVD's? I see they are 3 and 4 star reviews but at a much higher price level.

Should I be tempted, or is this a bad decision?

Thanks

Ambrose

A

Anonymous

You should probably be tempted, particularly if you crave a more musical set up.

A

Anonymous

Hi!

You can actually get the setup for £899 from soundgallery.com

http://www.soundgallery.co.uk/AVR250.html

And even better bargain!

I have a couple of questions on this pair.

1. How future proof is it? (Other than not being HD, where else does it fall short compared to the latest kit?)

2. What level does it compare too with stereo kit? (Does it better the budget Marantz kit?)

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I've just been tempted and bought the pair from Superfi. The Arcam sounded much better than the Onkyo/Marantz combo when tested with Kef 3005s and with Epos, Kef and Quad floor stander speakers, particularly with CD.

Picture quality was comparable, the Arcam only upscales to 720p or 1080i, so I suppose it depend on if you have a 1080p TV.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your comments.

Although very tempted for the Arcam I decided to plump for Marantz DV6001 as Richer sounds are selling off last few for £200 and will match with Onkyo 605 which is better future proofed than Arcam player. Not sure if Arcam did SACD/DVD Audio either? Obviously it won't sound as good but eventually will look to get a blueray player with decent CD playback but products will probably not be about for a while yet so a good stopgap. Not tried Marantz through MT-20s yet but picture upscaling is pretty good as far as I can see although only comparing to Sky HD which is noticably better still. The picture in LOTR is massively better than old Scart and quite impressive really considering not true hi def.

I have heard the Onkyo £300 DVD player with 605 and MT20's and sound was acceptable but hoping the Marantz will be more musical and involving listen.

Anyone else using the Marantz DV6001 and can comment?

Cheers

Ambrose

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts