Small Speaker Advice for sideboard

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hello!

Has anyone got experience with using small speakers on a sideboard?

I am currently using Arcam AVR 280 receiver and Marantz DV6001 with MT-20 surrounds (on sideboard) but only using 2.1 currently as have small, curious 1 yr old child into everything.

Unless anyone can suggest child proof stands or floorstanding speakers for a modest budget I guess I am looking at whether some small monitor speakers will provide a more involving listening experience.

Looking though some old mags I spotted Dali Lektor 1's speakers which look good, are very compact and can be placed against wall (5cm gap available). Would these go well with my setup and would this be a big improvement?

I presume I can use SUB with B&W mt-20 to fill out bottom end?

Cheers

Ambrose

scene

There are a number of sub-sat systems where the sats can be placed on a surface. But with most satellite speakers, the option to wall mount them is available. Is this not an option for you?

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Scene,

The problem is mounting the front speakers as no wall I can feasibily use. Window/curtains one side and fireplace the other and TV in corner of room. I did have centre on tv stand in front of TV and other speakers on stands. Rears were against sofa/sideboard and reasonably safe but front were liable to be climbed / knocked over and break / hit TV etc.

Would be really really nice to have some decent sounds back!!!

Half considering if I could convert garage for Hifi room but a fair bit of work to soundproof and would likely be small space left, maybe 7ft * 10ft. If this would work as hifi and/or home theatre / surround system I would give it some serious consideration.

Anyone else got similar setup or advice on bookshelf speaker options?

Cheers

Ambrose

scene

Sorry Ambrose, I'm having a bit of a thick moment...

If the the front speakers are the ones that need to be on the sideboard, why can't you do that with the MT-20s, as they've got stands and can be placed on the sideboard? If the centre speaker is a problem, how about getting a stand that goes behind the TV, with the speaker just above the screen?

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Centre speaker could be an option thanks.

The side board is away from tv stand and would not be well placed for the fronts.

It is positioned for right rear speaker but from our sofa I am using as 2.1 system currently as it is out of little ones reach and I can face looking at speaker! The sound quality is ok but not full / involving like larger monitor speakers etc.

I was just hoping for a better solution for now over the 2.1 setup with 2 * M1 on my sideboard until safer to reposition the M1s on stands.

Sorry to confuse and thanks for taking time to help.

Ambrose

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
What about the Q-Acoustics TV-2, or, if you already have an AV amp you could go for the front set-up of the Q-AV and have a 3.1 system?

scene

dave_k:What about the Q-Acoustics TV-2, or, if you already have an AV amp you could go for the front set-up of the Q-AV and have a 3.1 system?
+1 on that, the Q-AV solutions are very good, and the Q-AV rear (sat) speakers can be mounted high and are very flexible on position - I was going to get a pair as my rears, until I got a bargain pair of RXFX...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts