Arcam CD73T internal DAC vs DacMagic (latest version) ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I have been auditioning a Dacmagic against the internal DAC in my Arcam CD73T and I can't for the life of me decide which I like best. Was wondering what others experiences had been? The Arcam is, well, typically Arcam - smooth, laid back in presentation, but quite detailed. The DacMagic is more "in your face" - it adds extra low end thump and seems to add more separation and a little clarity. Ideally, I would like aspects of the sound from the Dacmagic melded with aspects of the Arcam smoothness. But on a budget... Anyone else tried these two? Beresford Caiman worth a look?

A

Anonymous

oops, sorry for mistake posting twice - can a mod delete one of these threads please?

Hawkmoon said:
So I have been auditioning a Dacmagic against the internal DAC in my Arcam CD73T and I can't for the life of me decide which I like best. Was wondering what others experiences had been? The Arcam is, well, typically Arcam - smooth, laid back in presentation, but quite detailed. The DacMagic is more "in your face" - it adds extra low end thump and seems to add more separation and a little clarity. Ideally, I would like aspects of the sound from the Dacmagic melded with aspects of the Arcam smoothness. But on a budget... Anyone else tried these two? Beresford Caiman worth a look?

This is interesting. I compared my 73T with the DacMagic, connected to a Cambridge 840 and the DAC had better overall sound. That was the one and only time I've ever heard a separate DAC, and nor was it in my house.

I've had so much conflicting advice from retailers in my persuit of a DAC that I've put it on the backburner for a while.

A

Anonymous

Will probably still keep Dacmagic as it really improves sound from my squeezebox 3 and minidisc deck

A

Anonymous

Differences between digital sources vary according to setup levels. Comparisons done in an entry level setup may lead to a misunderstanding. The higher standard the system is, the more accurate the audtion result is.

I mean it's possible a better source produces a worse result. For example, if both amp and speakers are on the bright side, a neutral and transparent source can make the system sounds harsh.

What are you looking for, a proper digital source to partner with your current setup or a better overall one?

If you have an entry level setup, it's safer you to take the audition you carried for reference to choose the source which fits better to your system. On other hand, if you really want to know which is overall better, you should test them in a neutral high-end setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts