Arcam CD73 pick up fix!

Bertie1

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I have a 7 y/o Arcam CD73 which started failing to pick up mixed cds and now fails to pick up cds with distinct gaps between tracks.

I have spoken to AudioT who sold it to me and they have quoted a fair chunk of money to replace a potential laser fault.

It's way out of warranty so is there anyone that can inspect/service/replace the laser on the cheap?

Not that I'm a cheapskate but just wonder if the money spent would be better put towards a completely new unit.

I have pc and dac so have sounds but think I will miss having a cd player.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bertie1

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Cheers Cno,I suppose it's a choice of coveted physical things or jump into digital ethereal.

It's certainly not going backwards to the gramophone.

I'll have a ponder!

Thanks for taking the time.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If you get a chance, organize yourself a demo of a Linn and a Naim.....it's my experience that it gives superior sound quality per pound spent.

Cno

Bertie1 said:
I have a 7 y/o Arcam CD73 which started failing to pick up mixed cds and now fails to pick up cds with distinct gaps between tracks.

I have spoken to AudioT who sold it to me and they have quoted a fair chunk of money to replace a potential laser fault.

It's way out of warranty so is there anyone that can inspect/service/replace the laser on the cheap?

Not that I'm a cheapskate but just wonder if the money spent would be better put towards a completely new unit.

I have pc and dac so have sounds but think I will miss having a cd player.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

How much did they quote you to repair? What sort of budget do you have for a new unit?

*EDIT* I'd avoid Linn and Naim streamers. They have a very good reputation, but would be an overkill with your A65+. I used to own one and the your amp is fabulous, but Naim and Linn would be a massive waste of money. If you streaming route I'd look on the lines of Sonus set-up, or at the most Marantz tuner/streamer.

matthewpiano

The CD73 was a great machine at the time but you could improve on it now. The CD17 (Arcam) is a cleaner sounding unit without the slightly honeyed mid-range of the '73 and good value at £499. Alternatively the Rega Apollo-R is a great piece of kit at £549. If you can stretch a bit further I can highly recommend the Roksan Kandy K2. It took me a while to get used to it but I love it now and it would be a significant upgrade on your current player.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
*EDIT* I'd avoid Linn and Naim streamers. They have a very good reputation, but would be an overkill with your A65+. I used to own one and the your amp is fabulous, but Naim and Linn would be a massive waste of money. If you streaming route I'd look on the lines of Sonus set-up, or at the most Marantz tuner/streamer.

This "may" be correct, but I still recommend going for a listen.

Something like a Sneaky could easily give quite a lift to the system and be able to cope with future upgrades. It's also possible that the amp in the Sneaky could work out nicely....a demo won't cost anything unless money changes hands, so don't put the OP off at this early stage, as you never know what the result will be! >)

Edit. Sorry just seen your TT, so the Sneaky as an amp is out.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bertie,

I guess the sort answer is that it depends on what laser assembly the CD73 uses. I've just fixed two Arcam Units, a DV88 and a DV135, obviously dvd players rather than straight cd. The DV88 had a weak laser which caused skipping problems and the DV135 had a faulty motor.

It was not cheap to get hold of the mechanism / laser assembly for the DV88 so as it was an EIDE device I installed a Samsung DVD-Rom drive designed for a PC and with a bit of modification to the chassis it worked a treat. Luckily I found someone who had modified the firmware to slow the drive down otherwise it would have been too noisy. Cost me around £13.

So what I am saying is that it may well be cheap to replace the laser (if that's whats really gone) or indeed the whole drive but we need to know what it is.

I have to say I was quite surprised at how good both these players are. The DV135 is a little brighter than the 88 and as it also plays SACD's it's the one I use most.

Where about's are you?

Cheers

Steve

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If your happy with the 73 the cheapest option would be to get a new laser mech and fit yourself. Really easy to do and shouldn't cost more than 50 notes.

Bertie1

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your consideration and advice.

Per queries from previous PlasticP: I was quoted 'up to' £150 for the laser and StevieG:I live in Surrey.

Prior to this issue the A65 was going in for something a bit better which would have helped lean the speakers, (totally bunged up and can be a bit fat sounding but got them new at 2/3 price).

I was happy with the CD 'til it broke but if repair is 1/3 the cost of a replacement then might as well get something new however the amp will need to remain for the time being.

Happened just at the wrong time,if there was no choice there would be no problem.

Cheers all,

Bertie1.

Edit:Budget is £600ish and whilst I'm no dunce I am not at all technical about these things. :?

Bertie1 said:
Thank you all for your consideration and advice.

Per queries from previous PlasticP: I was quoted 'up to' £150 for the laser and StevieG:I live in Surrey.

Prior to this issue the A65 was going in for something a bit better which would have helped lean the speakers, (totally bunged up and can be a bit fat sounding but got them new at 2/3 price).

I was happy with the CD 'til it broke but if repair is 1/3 the cost of a replacement then might as well get something new however the amp will need to remain for the time being.

Happened just at the wrong time,if there was no choice there would be no problem.

Cheers all,

Bertie1.

Edit:Budget is £600ish and whilst I'm no dunce I am not at all technical about these things. :?

For that sort of money you may get hold of a new Rega Apollo-R or ex-dem Exposure 2010S. Perhaps Arcams CD17. Although I found it a tad more detailed, it didn't come across quite as musical as the 73T IMO.

You may be able to pick-up a Roksan Kandy K2 or Creek Evo2 CDP, although no idea what they sound like TBH.

*EDIT* Just seen this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Roksan-Kandy-K2-Power-Amp-Silver-Opened-Damaged-Box-Only-/290773859244?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item43b378fbac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Open-Box-Arcam-CD17-FMJ-CD-Player-Silver-Ex-Demo-/230807630837?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item35bd34f3f5

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Difficult one to call really.

£150.00 repair vs £600.00 new CD player.

Repair is ¼ the cost of a new one.

If the repair includes a general service and carries a good guarantee it might be worth getting it repaired as you could always sell it on if you decided to get a new one. As it is old though something else might break, but if it is fully serviced that might not be an issue. A new one is obviously new so should last many years. From what other have posted, a new CD player will sound different. Different does not always mean better. It might be worth demoing a few CD players to see if any will be a good replacement for what you already have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts