Choosing cartridge for older set-up

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking to replace and upgrade my current phono cartridge, a Nagaoka TS11. I'm not having much luck with asking hi fi dealers for help, I have an older set-up, many are not familiar with my kit - Pink Triangle LPT / RB 300 which I use with a Moth 30 phono stage / Arcam FMJ19. Maybe some of you can guide me.

Considering my set-up, how much money should I spend? Or rather, what's the most that's worth spending? I've only ever used MM cartridges but the Moth has inputs for both MM and MC, is it worth considering MC or am I better off sticking with MM?

If it helps with suggestions, my vinyl collection is a mishmash of excellect nick to scruffy found in car boot sales. And these days I lean more towards jazz / blues / classical but when the mood takes me I'm not averse to an occasional headbanging blast of The Stooges.

6and8 said:
I'm looking to replace and upgrade my current phono cartridge, a Nagaoka TS11. I'm not having much luck with asking hi fi dealers for help, I have an older set-up, many are not familiar with my kit - Pink Triangle LPT / RB 300 which I use with a Moth 30 phono stage / Arcam FMJ19. Maybe some of you can guide me.

Considering my set-up, how much money should I spend? Or rather, what's the most that's worth spending? I've only ever used MM cartridges but the Moth has inputs for both MM and MC, is it worth considering MC or am I better off sticking with MM?

If it helps with suggestions, my vinyl collection is a mishmash of excellect nick to scruffy found in car boot sales. And these days I lean more towards jazz / blues / classical but when the mood takes me I'm not averse to an occasional headbanging blast of The Stooges.

As a rule of thumb moving coils should be considered if you happen to consider spending £400 or more.

With your set-up I would stick with moving magnet and Nagaoka, the TS11 variant was actually made in the UK by Stilton, and look at an MP110.

If this is too expensive get back to us.

I've got the TS12 boron cart. A very decent cart.

Does your cart have the Allen bolts holding the stylus to the cart?

if it does, (like mine) then I think the mp300 stylus will fit your cart

if it doesn't have the Allen bolts in the sides then you can try other styli a little lower down the range

?

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, my TS11 has the Allen bolts, will just using a superior stylus improve the overall sound?

As for the MP110, despite having just splashed out on Christmas and treating The Bird to a new winter coat I can afford to spend more. The big question is how much more is it worth spending considering the TT / arm I have?

6and8 said:
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, my TS11 has the Allen bolts, will just using a superior stylus improve the overall sound?

As for the MP110, despite having just splashed out on Christmas and treating The Bird to a new winter coat I can afford to spend more. The big question is how much more is it worth spending considering the TT / arm I have?

The turntable is a good one and the RB300 a classic, they will take just about any cartridge you throw at them. It's up to you on how much you can spend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts