Arcam Cd 192 !!Good amp needed to pair with it!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the roksan caspian mk 11, and i will be single wiring it to my M A GS10's. whats a good wire and how much , can anybody help?? Will be used with Arcam CD 192 !!

T

the record spot

Or there's the Harman HK990 amp - massive powerhouse of a thing. 150wpc, massive power supply, but can handle peaks of up to 300wpc. Important if you're looking to drive your speakers well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For cable I would try VAn Damme OFC which is about £4 pm, depending on thickness and length or if that is too much try VD Blue which is about £2.50, this is sold by pro. suppliers rather than hifi shops.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
you really ought to demo a couple of amps on your shortlist though - you have determined that the Roksan Caspian is better than Arcam A38 simpy based on a couple of peoples comments - how do you know you prefer the Roksan sound to the Arcam one and why do you percieve that the Roksan is better than the Arcam ? if the Roksan doesnt need a power amp (as mentioned) at 85w per channel then arguably neither would the Arcam A38 at 105w per channel.

it may of course work out that you like Roksan better but given the price bracket your are in a demo first is always a good thing. amps do have different presentations and you need to work out which style you prefer. I would try to listen to the Roksan, Arcam A38 and Naim XS just to see what you like best - i personally preferred the Arcam to the Naim but many prefer it the other way around.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I never assumed that the Arcam 38 was inferior to the roksan caspian mk 2. Its just when I mentioned a new amp to pair with my cd 192, the roksan was suggested. I've managed to pick one up with a lot knocked off the asking price, so will have to take a chance, if i am not happy then i will sell on and try something different!! Its hard to listen to ademo on these amps as there is currently bo hi fi shops in the peterborough area. I just find the arcam a90 a bit warm and soft, like listening to music, sometimes in one dimension !!

iceman16

I used to have a cd192 with Naim 122x/150x combo and never felt too warm or soft. IME the cd192 is abit warm and less exciting with arcam amps(A 38). I've demoed the A38 and Naim 122x/150x combo and I ended up with Naim. You have to listen for yourself at home if possible. If you want excitement like PRAT I may suggest Naim IMHO.:)

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried analogue seduction? They are based 5 miles east of Peterborough and are dealers in all of the brands mentioned in this thread I do believe.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
good luck with the Roksan - do post back your thoughts when you have had a chance to settle with it - its always interesting to read others views when they get new kit. if you are getting a good deal and can sell on then thats as good a way as shop demo - i have done this before, buying and then selling for about the same amount so it works

i honestly think using a Roksan Caspian or Arcam A38 will likely yield an improvement against a bi-amped A90 rather than being sideways but it may not be a huge one. i used to have an Arcam A70 and when i switched to FMJ it was actually a big difference (but i hadnt bi-amped)

have fun, changing items is fun - i have been settled for a couple of years now and cant fault the sound of my system - the only thing that tempts me is getting a turntable again but in previous experience hasnt ever beaten the CD37 for sound

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
reading through the thread i see a couple of people pairing Arcam CD with Naim Amps - historically these forums have seemed to suggest this is not a great idea, i dont know whether this was from any real experience or just the usual Naim user v Arcam user is better debate, but comments here suggest it matchesd up pretty well after all.

i only ask as i was quite interested in the superuniti as a product simply as it comes with amp and streamer built in which would be a good way for me to slim down my system a bit - i was put off before by the Naim / Arcam incompatability threads but maybe it wasnt as based in fact as i originally thought. i like the Arcam A38 so much i probably would change unless i really had to reduce the boxes one day

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving my a38 also and am not looking to change it, although adding a p38 in the future is on the cards. Interesting to read your comments earlier crusaderlord regarding bi wiring. I have mine bi wired as previously I had a bi amped system and then when I got the a38 I just kept both runs of cable and put them in a and b terminals as recommended in the instructions. I'm now curious so later I think I'll try single wire to see if I notice a difference.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
:) can rumour 4 be changed into rumour 2 , or do i have to go for completely new cables !! I forgot about analogue seduction, might be worth going over there, my brother has a pub there so I can always stop off for a pint along the way, !! thanks for your comments :beer:

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
peterquinn60 said:
:) can rumour 4 be changed into rumour 2 , or do i have to go for completely new cables !! I forgot about analogue seduction, might be worth going over there, my brother has a pub there so I can always stop off for a pint along the way, !! thanks for your comments :beer:

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
:dance: I've decided to try chord oyssey 2 cables with the monitor GS10's & the arcam cd192 plus the rocksan caspian mk 11 when it arrives in a couple of days !! it was hard to make a choice for cables & after reading lots of reviews I decided to try the odyssey 11, so I will have to get used to a completely. new sound!! ah well, it will be a case of trial & error !!

camcroft

beer.png
X analogue seduction = chord oyssey 2......;)

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I,m hoping that the CD 192 will sparkle with the arrival of the roksan caspian mark 11 and the chord odyssey 2 !! It's a huge gamble and an expensive one !!

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I haven't heard that cable. I'm sure you'll like the roksan although it will be different to what your used to listening to. My main findings with more expensive amps is extra detail and a more natural, spacious sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts