Arcam Cd 192 !!Good amp needed to pair with it!!

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
:help: i have an arcam a90 & p90 amp with cd192 and monitor audio GS10 speakers, i need a replacement for amp and possibly p90 as well & need an amp with more power punch and sonic ability, can anyone help me?? I need the amp to make the arcam cd192 really sparkle and want the music to really come at me !! Would i still need to use the P90 power amp.would budget amp at around £1500. Any expert opinions??

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Personally no i wouldnt likely keep the P90 as the FMJ A38 is not short on power. A P32 or P38 would be a better match for the A38 really but i have never felt any need to add one.

I know many do like to separate the power from the preamp but i think that integrateds are well made nowadays to minimise the interference plus i am never sure adding in connectors between the two is not detrimental in itself anyway (open to a cables debate).

If you could demo the A38 that would be best and see what you think in your room size etc - sell the P90 after if you then feel it unecessary

crusaderlord said:
i would say its worth trying out the Arcam FMJ A38 with the CD 192 - it could be a better match up than the Roksan or the Naim in my view

When it comes to Naim XS matched with my CD73 it sounded cracking, although you're right if it was Nait 5i. The XS is a different animal. My Pulse, likewise, sounded superb with the 192, but could have a little too much sparkle.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Many thanks!! I would use my current leads and turn the amo end from 4 terminals at the amp end to 2 wired terminals and stay bi-wired with the 4 terminals at each speaker end. This would be ok I take it, and yes i think i might take your advice on the a38 !!

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Would the amp seperate the base and treble too much through the speakers if bi-wired thus cutting down on the weight and sonic delivery, it,s all a bit scientifically blinding !!

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I agree with the penguin - i used to have an Arcam A32 (the A38 is better though) and when i tried to bi-wire the A32 it lost some of its definition. So whilst you can certainly bi-wire an A38 it may not be an improvement - i never bothered to try the A38. The A38 has loads of power so i would think with the Monitor Audios the match would be more than good enough without, but no harm in trying it out. Personally i stick with single wiring but i have bought kimber jumper leads between the speaker posts which is well worth doing.

The best option if you can do it is to take the CD player and demo it with an Arcam A38 and a Naim XS - two of the best amps in that price bracket in my opinion. I liked Arcam better as it was more open in its presentation and depth of soundstage but both are great. If you dont want to demo and want to take a chance then our famous bidding site has them from c£1k which is pretty good value to me. I got mine for £1100 from a shop but that was quite a while back and prices have gone up since its launch.

Good luck though and let us know how you get on.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
peterquinn60 are you currently bi-amping your speakers with the A90/P90 combo or are you using as a pre and power amp?

Although the A38 is a better amp I doubt it will out grip and punch your current amps in bi-amp operation, and is to be honest a sideways step rarther than an upgrade.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi, i am bi amping !! I think !! 4 wires and terminals at each end of speaker wire . 1 live and one negative in each amp to going to hf and lf on speakers . So i think bi amping thanks!!

iceman16

Ok you're bi-amping..But just in case you change your mind I would suggest get second hand class A or AB integrated amp with plenty of power and current and forget about bi-amping. Your speakers are not that difficult to drive IMO.:)

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I will probably just stick with what I have then, I just feel sometimes it just needs a bit more sonic awareness when turned up loud!! Thanks !!

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I also like the reviews of the roksan caspian m11, would this sound good with the cd192 and gs10,s?? With or without arcam p90 and bi wired or not bi wired??

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
thank you for your reply plastic penguin, I think I would probably go for the roksan caspian mark two and then sell the p90 and a90. I might modify the wiring and stay bi wired! would you go for single wiring yourself or bi- wire, if i go single wires then i can also sell my rumour 4 cables, the two hardest parts are silver or black and secondly !! getting around the missus !! lol!

peterquinn60 said:
thank you for your reply plastic penguin, I think I would probably go for the roksan caspian mark two and then sell the p90 and a90. I might modify the wiring and stay bi wired! would you go for single wiring yourself or bi- wire, if i go single wires then i can also sell my rumour 4 cables, the two hardest parts are silver or black and secondly !! getting around the missus !! lol!

Definitely single wire. Bi-wiring with a power amp makes sense, but a single box is different IMHO.

peterquinn60

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the roksan caspian mk 11, and i will be single wiring it to my M A GS10's. whats a good wire and how much , can anybody help?? Will be used with Arcam CD 192 !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts