Arcam Blu-ray

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:
Andrew Everard:It's in the February issue.

Thanks, Andrew. I'll probably *** out today and buy a copy, assuming it's in the shops of course.

It's very expensive (not the mag). Arcam don't seem to be interested in mid level and below with it's latest AV products.

Gerrardasnails:plastic penguin:

Andrew Everard:It's in the February issue.

Thanks, Andrew. I'll probably *** out today and buy a copy, assuming it's in the shops of course.

It's very expensive (not the mag). Arcam don't seem to be interested in mid level and below with it's latest AV products.

Yeah, they seem to have knocked budget stuff on the head. Even the A18 retails at around £700.

TBPH, I don't think a budget Blu-ray player, or even the Cambridge, will replay cds as well as the 73T, so I'm expecting to pay a fair bit to get the CDs and DVDs right.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:Does anyone know when or if the Arcam player is going to be reviewed?

I wonder if all of the 'quality contro'l staff have been sacked at Arcam - same niggling problems as the AVR600, all this depite the fact that the player costs £1k!!

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think Arcam need to shift there manufacturing over to china or the far east, they are getting way to expensive and poor value for money.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I contacted Arcam in 2006, as I was considering buying a CD36 and had heard that some of their products were made in China. They confirmed at that point, the CD73, AVR250 and Solo were manufactured in China. You may want to ask them where their current range is manufactured, it may be the reason the entry level has been dropped is because they no longer use Chinese manufacturing partners.

John Duncan

plastic penguin:TBPH, I don't think a budget Blu-ray player, or even the Cambridge, will replay cds as well as the 73T, so I'm expecting to pay a fair bit to get the CDs and DVDs right.

TBPH, I reckon you're wrong about the Cambridge...

JohnDuncan:plastic penguin:TBPH, I don't think a budget Blu-ray player, or even the Cambridge, will replay cds as well as the 73T, so I'm expecting to pay a fair bit to get the CDs and DVDs right. TBPH, I reckon you're wrong about the Cambridge...

Better than the 73T for CDs then?

John Duncan

At least as good. But somewhat better at Blu-Ray, DVDs, SACDs and DVD-As
emotion-2.gif

This is, to be fair, based on not having heard it, but am taking Andrew's lead on audio quality together with my experiences of the 640c and CD37. If I didn't have a Uniti in the house it would be top of my list of CD players to audition.

John Duncan

Interesting point here, PP - just watching Tom's CA video from CES, he says the 751 is a replacement for the 650, which if true (though I'd want confirmation of that, bearing in mind the price difference) might suggest the 650 could become something of a bargain shortly...

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
After waiting in anticipation for this product and having it at the top of my list for a replacement for my FD51 i have to say what's floating around the web is not good for this product.

What the general concerns raised are....

Noisy transport

The internal circuits are not up to the usual high end standard regarding isolation of parts.

The blu-ray is another manufactured player (not arcam 100%) rebadged.

It's not FMJ standard

Users experiencing Bug's

It's just not an ARCAM product and goes against what Arcam are about.

It's not value for money.

That's alot of concerns floating about , certainly enough to completely put me off it.

I would make sure i had a good home test demo for a couple of weeks before i parted with any money for it.

Overall a big let down considering the time they spent on it, you would have thought it would have at least made the grade but apparently not.

Still don't let me put anyone off check it out for yourself.

JohnDuncan:Interesting point here, PP - just watching Tom's CA video from CES, he says the 751 is a replacement for the 650, which if true (though I'd want confirmation of that, bearing in mind the price difference) might suggest the 650 could become something of a bargain shortly...

Cheers, John - the only thing to discover is whether the synergy is right for the Leema.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Interesting point here, PP - just watching Tom's CA video from CES, he says the 751 is a replacement for the 650, which if true (though I'd want confirmation of that, bearing in mind the price difference) might suggest the 650 could become something of a bargain shortly...

You misheard Tom - he says the 751 isn't a replacement for the 650. It's a step-up model (next range up).

The 650 will be replaced by a new '6 series' player, which will also be 3D, but no specific date for that yet. However, CA says stocks of the 650 are likely to run out before the replacement arrives.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:Does this all mean it didn't fair too well?

That would be a resounding NO.

Interestingly, from the Arcam website:

''Arcam is proud to announce the arrival of its first Blu-ray device, the
BDP100. This new player offers customers a level of movie and music
reproduction that few disc players, of any price, can match and is
designed to deliver an experience to thrill even the most demanding of
audiences''.

If only it was reliable and costs a few hundred quid less.

John Duncan

Clare Newsome:

You misheard Tom - he says the 751 isn't a replacement for the 650. It's a step-up model (next range up).

The 650 will be replaced by a new '6 series' player, which will also be 3D, but no specific date for that yet. However, CA says stocks of the 650 are likely to run out before the replacement arrives.

My bad. Thought it was odd at the time...

Ronald Archiebald:

''Arcam is proud to announce the arrival of its first Blu-ray device, the BDP100. This new player offers customers a level of movie and music reproduction that few disc players, of any price, can match and is designed to deliver an experience to thrill even the most demanding of audiences''.

Do you know if it's unreliable? Arcam stuff is as solid as any make. I've yet to buy the Feb edition so I'm talking in the dark, but suppose, again, value is an individual thing.

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:Ronald Archiebald:

''Arcam is proud to announce the arrival of its first Blu-ray device, the BDP100. This new player offers customers a level of movie and music reproduction that few disc players, of any price, can match and is designed to deliver an experience to thrill even the most demanding of audiences''.

Do you know if it's unreliable? Arcam stuff is as solid as any make. I've yet to buy the Feb edition so I'm talking in the dark, but suppose, again, value is an individual thing.

One of the comments i've come across

" I've had my BDP100 for about a month now. Yes, I was one of the "I'm
getting one no matter what because it's Arcam FMJ" brigade. My previous
experience with the CD23T, DV79 and AVR600 have all been positive.

Anyway, I agree with daz. This just isn't an FMJ product. Picture for BD
and DVD is really good. I don't believe DVD exceeds the 79 I had, in
terms of picture and it's not as good at CD as the CD23T (which I've now
sold).

Add to this the problems I've had (distorted sound on HD tracks after
fast forward / fast rewind - having to stop and start disc again to fix,
a front panel clock that goes up in 2 second intervals during a movie
or sits on one second for two or three actual seconds, having to press
open / eject twice to get a disc out and the problems with discs
skipping forward - Inception and Toy Story 3)
and I'm massively underwhelmed. As a software tester by profession, to
say I'me amazed it was released like that is an understatement.

All this at a price of 999.00! Of course Arcam and Sevenoaks are aware
of my problems are are promising a fix asap but sadly it has tainted my
loyalty to Arcam somewhat and I'm looking at the forthcoming Oppo 95NXE
with great anticipation but perhaps I'll wait till that's been reviewed
before diving straight in!"
It could of course be complete fabrication however smoke and fire come to mind.

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:Ronald Archiebald:

The AVR-600 is a case in point, another high-priced product that shouldn't have even passed the production line, let alone receive the stamp of Arcam's rather dubious 'quality control'.

One would think they would have learnt from that and would have pulled all the stops to ensure that the debut of their first high-end blu-ray player would be launched without any glitches. Obviously not.

And by the way, I have owned Arcam products in the past, and these were just fine, no issues at all - Arcam Alpha 7 CD, Arcam Alpha 7SE CD, Arcam Alpha 8 Tuner, Arcam Alpha 10 Amp, Arcam T51/T61 & T81 Tuner, Arcam A85 Amp, Arcam CD72.

Gone are these days, I'm afraid.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts