Arcam AVR600 review coming any time soon?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I had a demo yesterday, tried it with PMC speakers in stereo and Monitor Audio radius in surround. Absolutely blew the Onkyo 906 (closest in price they could offer for comparison) out of the water in both stereo and surround as far as I was concerned. I went in wanting to prove to myself that I would be happy with the Yamaha RXV3900 or Z7 with the PMC setup, came out thinking that anything less than the AVR600 would not do the speakers justice. Shame its so goddam expensive, (its going up to £3500 later this month according to the dealer), but I believe from my demo its probably worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
gregvet: Shame its so goddam expensive, (its going up to £3500 later this month according to the dealer)

It's my understanding that the price will remain £3000. The review, at long long long long last, will appear in the June issue that goes on sale May 8th.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Interesting. ÿHe was fairly specific, giving the date (which I cannot remember) and the amount, said they had been contacted by Arcam directly that day. Hope he wasn't just trying to get a sale out of me, I made it clear I wasn't ready to spend that much money at the moment!

ÿ

Good news about the review. I think you guys will like it!ÿ

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
gregvet:He was fairly specific, giving the date (which I cannot remember) and the amount, said they had been contacted by Arcam directly that day.

Turns out your dealer was dead right - I've been told by Arcam today that the price will be £3500. So that's £2300, £2750, £3000 and now £3500 since the original press release in September last year. We'll get our review online as soon as possible, so that those who fancy one can buy it before it costs as much as a loft extension.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Simon Lucas:Turns out your dealer was dead right - I've been told by Arcam today that the price will be £3500.

emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

As the Onkyo 906 is going to be dipping back under £1000 when the replacement comes out and has already (last year) been available for £900, is it really fair to compare?

Considering what the 906 can do, I may just buy one and live with the fact that it's not quite the Arcam, but it'll be good enough I think.

Unless of course someone can explain to me how spending 3.5 X the Onkyo cost is justified with my kit (which you can see below) and which may well be the weak link.

But while we're here, I'd love to see the Pioneer Susano vs. the Denon AVC-A1HDA and the Arcam.

A

Anonymous

I, too, would love to see a show-down between the Pioneer 'Susano', the Denon AVC-A1HDA, Arcam FMJ AVR600, and also, the Yamaha RX-Z11.

A

Anonymous

I have just bought a 600 to replace my 350. I managed to get the last one in the shop at the old price but was worried that I was spending so much.

Got it installed now and am really pleased. Even without extensive messing around with the setup menus( I didnt use auto set up) I would say that it is way better than the 350 (which is good) Much more detail and power. I had an old Meridian 101/105 system with Mission 753( or were they 735's? any way they were very big!!) speakers before and the 350 was bought to combine home cinema and stereo playback. I didnt think the 350 was as good as the Meridian system for stereo, but now using a Dali Ikon 5.1 speaker setup and biamping the fronts I now think that its better than the Meridian was and some. Even the wife thought it sounded much better and initially she had said she couldnt see why I needed to spend so much and "what difference will it make?" ....Now she knows and doesnt mind living in poverty to pay for it.(a slight exageration)

My next challenge is to get my " I only buy Naim gear " friend around and show him the error of his ways and wallet.

Negative points are a few software glitches, but the good thing is it can be fixed with updates so will live with them for now.

A

Anonymous

Hi, I work for an electrical retailer and we have just taken delivery of some Arcam AVR600. I had a listen today. It was running Mission 796 fronts, 794 rears and 79 centre. And it sounded absolutely incredible! I was honestly amazed. I have a Yamaha RX-V3800 av receiver. But the Arcam is so much better in every way! I can tell you enough just how good it is. If it doesn't get a best buy award I will be shocked!

A

Anonymous

Would someone with the latest issue of What Hi Fi magazine be able to tell me what the verdict is from What Hi Fi in regards to the Arcam AVR600? How many stars? I am guessing a full 5 stars from this unit.

In Australia, I probably won't be able to obtain the June 2009 issue for another 3 more weeks, and am keen to find out what the verdict is on this unit.

Dan.

John Duncan

Andy Clough:Yes, should be online by next Monday, and we'll be following that up with a full video review here on the site.

Cool - will you be demonstrating the funky motorised volu.........oh.

A

Anonymous

At £3500 it would have to be one hell of a receiver to beat the excellent offerings from Yamaha and Denon which are cheaper...

A

Anonymous

Like he couldn't have guessed!

And anyway, he sounds like he's a devoted subscriber and anyone showing that much dedication deserves to be put out of their misery!

A

Anonymous

ow i hope it doesn,t get a good review

because i won,t have to find the cash and an excuse to buy it
emotion-5.gif

greetings Emile

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Balaclava - check

Sawn-off - check

Mr Fingers outside in a Mk2 Jag with the engine running - check...

can i be the driver maybe they will have two in stock
emotion-19.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts