Arcam AVR600 review coming any time soon?

A

Anonymous

This is looking like it is going to be a highly-competitive unit. Arcam does make good stuff, and I believe its 7 x 120-watt figure is a lot 'truer' than a lot of 7 x 200-watt figures. It will likely be more powerful than most A/V Receivers, which make extremely bold claims that are really figures when only one or two channels are powered by the unit - and NOT for the entire audible range of 20hz to 20khz.

However, in Australia, I am expecting it to cost quite well over $5,000.00 (early suggestion seems to say $5,699.00 in Australia), which is a lot of money.

The way I look at it is, I would rather spend this kind of money on a separate A/V Surround Processor and Power Amplifier. My reasoning is that a good Power Amplifier will last you many years. If you were to put in a lot of money on an A/V Receiver, if other formats or other types of connections are released next year or the year after, etc, you might look towards replacing the unit, which you spent heaps of money on!

If you went the separate Pre/Power combo, you could replace the Processor if new features are released that you feel impelled to have, and keep the wonderful Power Amplifier that you have.

If you were to go the A/V Receiver route (a good A/V Receiver, such as this Arcam, which I am sure is a wonderful unit) and are happy with the sound quality, etc, if you were to purchase a new one down the track (which might end up being a different brand with different sonic qualities, etc), the sound quality will be different, and it may be a little 'luck' as to whether you prefer the different sonic signature/quality.

Just my two bob's worth, mate.

A

Anonymous

PLUS, a a separate Processor/Pre-Amplifier and Power Amplifier is ideal, because it is ideal having the more delicate and sensitive Processing unit separate from the high-current and out-put from the Power Amplifier side.

The new Rotel '15-series' looks gorgeous, and seems priced to sell heaps.

There is a new Rotel RSP-1570, which apparently will retail for under US$2,500.00. The distributor for Rotel in Australia appears to be extremely reasonable, so (depending on how world currencies go) this unit might retail for about $3,000.00 here in Australia, when it eventually is released early next year.

Rotel's new 15-series Power Amplifiers are all Class D, and nice and compact (slim), and are extremely well-priced. For about $5,000.00-$6,000.00 Australian, I would say you would be able to purchase the RSP-1570 and Power Amplifier(s). Possibly 2 Power Amplifiers, because if I read correctly, the 15-series Power Amplifiers can only be purchased as 2-channel or 5-channel, so if you have a 7-channel set-up, you would need to purchase 1 x 2-channel Power Amplifier and 1 x 5-channel Power Amplifier. The RSP-1570 is a 7-channel Surround Sound Processor with all the latest uncompressed audio decoding from Dolby and DTS in-built.

This 15-series looks stunning, and if I did not have my NAD M25 (which means I am awaiting the NAD M15HD Surround Sound Processor), I would have most likely be looking at these.

A

Anonymous

dantan:
This is looking like it is going to be a highly-competitive unit. Arcam does make good stuff, and I believe its 7 x 120-watt figure is a lot 'truer' than a lot of 7 x 200-watt figures. It will likely be more powerful than most A/V Receivers, which make extremely bold claims that are really figures when only one or two channels are powered by the unit - and NOT for the entire audible range of 20hz to 20khz.

However, in Australia, I am expecting it to cost quite well over $5,000.00 (early suggestion seems to say $5,699.00 in Australia), which is a lot of money.

The way I look at it is, I would rather spend this kind of money on a separate A/V Surround Processor and Power Amplifier. My reasoning is that a good Power Amplifier will last you many years. If you were to put in a lot of money on an A/V Receiver, if other formats or other types of connections are released next year or the year after, etc, you might look towards replacing the unit, which you spent heaps of money on!

If you went the separate Pre/Power combo, you could replace the Processor if new features are released that you feel impelled to have, and keep the wonderful Power Amplifier that you have.

If you were to go the A/V Receiver route (a good A/V Receiver, such as this Arcam, which I am sure is a wonderful unit) and are happy with the sound quality, etc, if you were to purchase a new one down the track (which might end up being a different brand with different sonic qualities, etc), the sound quality will be different, and it may be a little 'luck' as to whether you prefer the different sonic signature/quality.

Just my two bob's worth, mate.

Thats actually spot on thinking - I hadn't considered that angle but it makes total sense now you mention it particularly given my current upgrade situation on an amp that I've had for less than two years - granted it was almost due to be replaced when I bought it but still.

The Rotel kit does indeed look impressive - I was watching a vid on it the other day as it happens. Any ideas how Rotel or NAD fit with Monitor Audio gear? Also, any time and cost expectance on Aussie availability of the NAD processor you're waiting on - I'm keen to check that out too. Luckily I have kit that works and thus time is on my side with the upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I have had the privilege of auditioning quite a number of Monitor Audio loudspeakers, and they are really good, and also surprisingly good value-for-money here in Australia.

The Monitor Audio Silver Series Series loudspeakers, especially their metal tweeter, tend to sound very sprightly (sorry, I am no hi-fi reviewer, as you can tell) and if they are matched with bright electronics, can possibly be a less-than-ideal combination.

I can tell you that NAD tends to sound warmer, so I would say it would be a good match for your Monitor Audio loudspeakers. Rotel does tend towards a warmer sound, as well, so I would say that you couldn't go far wrong either way.

ETA on the Rotel and NAD is expected to be first quarter of 2009, which based on experience, would mean the END of the first quarter, so possibly March 2009.

The more expensive 5-channel (I think it was either 5 x 200-watt or 5 x 250-watt) Class D Power Amplifier from Rotel's 15-series is towards the US$3,000.00 mark, if my memory serves me right.

As regards the NAD M15HD Surround Sound Processor I am looking at, it looks set to retail for US$4,499.00 or thereabouts, which worries me tremendously, because it might retail for about AUD$6,000.00 (better not be any more than that!).

Power Amp-wise for NAD, the M25 retails for about AUD$4,999.00.

A

Anonymous

Is it just me or do the WHF team seem to be somewhat absent around here at the moment?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm on holiday!
emotion-4.gif

I'll forward this thread to the test team...

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Damien Buckley:Is it just me or do the WHF team seem to be somewhat absent around here at the moment?
Don't confuse being absent 'around here' with being absent.
Anyhoo, the latest verbatim word from Arcam re the AVR600 is: "not before December".
I know, I know.

A

Anonymous

Simon Lucas:Unwelcome update: not before Christmas.

Now then?!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
No review units (for anyone) yet, but as you can read here, we had a promising demo.

Arcam is previewing the AVR600 at next month's Bristol Show, and we should get our test unit shortly afterwards. The first 100 receivers off the production line are going straight to customers who've pre-ordered.

A

Anonymous

I understand some dealers have them in now so look forward to your thoughts!

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
From what I've read of the initial owner's experiences is, it sounds cracking (It should, it's Arcam!) but it is riddled with bugs which Arcam are beavering away on. Perhaps when they're ironed out, then units will be submitted for review. It's an important product for Arcam so they'll want to get it right.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Dak:Thanks, seems a hotly awaited review!

In the immortal words of Diana Ross...

Now you have blown it. DR albums were in the 'Not ripped yet, may never be' CD Box. I click on your link and the wife says 'OH! That reminds me! Why can't I find my DR albums on the Sonos??'

I told her Sonos had fitted a quality filter but that didn't go down well....

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Let her hear one track and you find yourself in the middle of a chain reaction. ÿNow you'll need to be supreme-ly patient!

ÿ

(Sorry, but it's the effect a whole day of Comic Relief at work......)ÿ

A

Anonymous

Oh dear....

if What HiFI still dont have an Arcam 600 to review perhaps they need to borrow one from the dealers that say they have them in?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts