Arcam AVR 500 BEWARE

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
All, I have had my AVR 500 for less than 7 weeks and already it is boxed and awaiting collection to be be returned to Arcam for fixing as the fans have started coming on every 30 min. I was told by the dealer that all the probs were solved and Arcam informed me that my unit was the latest spec,firmware,moded unit and that I would have no problems with it! This is just not acceptable.How can a company such as Arcam sell a product that has so many problems especially heat related issues?The fans are noisy. When it does not have a fault it sounds fantastic.I will give them one chance to resolve the issue which I pray that they do as it is superb in every other way.Now just got to wait 3 weeks for its expected return!!

Petherick

Oct 29, 2008
Visit site
Or you could let it go back, then contact them and tell them you don't want it back and wait for the reaction ;)

I seriously feel sorry for the company, they obviously have issues with the product and I'd hate to see it harm their corporate well-being. But on the other hand, they shouldn't expect paying customers to put up with being charged to beta-test the product.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ric71 said:
All, I have had my AVR 500 for less than 7 weeks and already it is boxed and awaiting collection to be be returned to Arcam for fixing

In your shoes, I'd ask for a replacement or a refund: for a product to have to go away for repairs for three weeks after you've only had it for seven weeks (presumably bought new) is unacceptable.

This assumes, of course, that the unit is faulty, as I guess it is if Arcam is taking it back for repair, and not just firing up its fans all the time due to insufficient ventilation. I'd be looking to get another unit and try that.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
So you've only had one issue with your AVR500? There are lots of products out there nowadays that have an issue or two (mostly because they're software based), but I think your words are a little harsh if you yourself have only had one issue.

I agree that they should be on top of things now, and the AVR400 seems to be testament to that.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
My dealer is sending me a brand new AVR 500.It is a shame that the 500 has been plagued with so many issues.It is fantastic in every other way. My words may have sounded a little harsh but when an item has known issues ie fan noise these should be resolved before being sent out to shops by the manufacturer.It also developed issues where it would not turn on or off with out a reboot.
I will have a new unit next week so I am happy with that and have had great service from my dealer.At the time I was to say the least a little peeved.So fingers crossed all will be well.I will keep you posted

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hooray,

New AVR 500 delivered and running perfectly.

2 hours use and much cooler temp so far than old 500 ,so fingers crossed all will be well.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

A

Anonymous

I know a product like this shouldn't need it... but I found lifting the amp up (using little blocks under the feet) to allow better airflow from below as well as above helped a great deal in keeping the AVR's cool.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
ric71 said:
Hooray,

2 hours use and much cooler temp so far than old 500 ,so fingers crossed all will be well.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Hi.. I am keen to know your findings.. Is it still good? Please let us know.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
WishTree said:
ric71 said:
Hooray,

smiley-tongue-out.gif

Hi.. I am keen to know your findings.. Is it still good? Please let us know.

Hi Wish Tree,

The AVR 500 is still running perfectly.It remained cool even after 11 hours use on the hottest day of the year, 31 degrees here in Barnet.

The fans on the new 500 havent even come on yet.It has the odd quirk ie not switching on from the remote every so often but I had this with my old Denon so not worried at all.

It sounds fantastic and so far I am really happy with its performance. I find myself smiling sometimes when listening to it so that has got to say it all.

If you are thinking of getting one hurry as stocks are dwindling.Arcam also give a free 5 year warranty when you register it so that should give some peace of mind.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
psurquhart said:
Hey ric,

Hows the replacement amp ?

Still behaving ?

Hi, yes it is still running cool so no issues there.It does have the odd moment though.It turned itself off and then back on last week and doesn't always switch on or off from the remote.Other than those blips all is good and sounds great so all in all delighted at the moment!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ric71 said:
psurquhart said:
Hey ric,

Hows the replacement amp ?

Still behaving ?

Hi, yes it is still running cool so no issues there.It does have the odd moment though.It turned itself off and then back on last week and doesn't always switch on or off from the remote.Other than those blips all is good and sounds great so all in all delighted at the moment!

Turning itself "off and on" (usually with a bang) is a known power supply problem. It can happen once every 4-6 weeks or so, or in some cases starts getting more frequent. The solution is a return to base.....sorry. :mad:

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Marvelous can't wait!!Well I hope it was a one off!!If it does develop any serious issues I will return it and get an Anthem MRX 700 instead.I love the sound of the Arcam but only have so much patience. I am going to have faith in my 500 and fingers crossed I will have many happy years with it!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts