ARCAM A32 PANIC!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As i got the very last a32 from Seveoaks yesterday, i had no option but to drive some gale monitor speakers with it, as i'm waiting for the proac 1SC...it sounds so so so shy, so subdued...i blame the speakers for it, still, these same speakers can sound much more lively and open on my bedroom one-piece TEAC. But what got me worried is that the record player input must be damaged. All i can hear is the very low frequencies. I've been checking cable, everything, just doesn't work. But two days ago i could listen to vinyls on my rotel perfectly well. This is driving me mad-i think Monday i'm just going to exchange it for the R kandy latest model. This is just depressing...also, the remote control is not black, like the amp...is this the price to pay for ex-demos?

matthewpiano

Sorry to hear about this. I've always found the phono inputs on Arcams to be very good. I did, however, experience a similar shy and subdued sound from an Arcam DiVA A70 amplifier at the beginning of this year and I ended up getting rid. It seemed as if the gain was set very low and yet, even with the volume turned up more to counteract this, the sound still lacked any sort of life or drive.

The new FMJ A18 seems to be quite a lot better in this respect, although having heard it again I'm still not sure it does quite enough to win a place in my system.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I assume you've auditioned the 32 together with the proacs so you know what it can or can't do. They are not the most rythmic and driving amplifiers but have some other virtues, only you can decide which ones are more important to you.

Personally, I think the K2 is the better amplifier than the A38 but thats just me and it suits my preferences better.

Also, you need to give it a little bit of time, not necesseraly to 'run it in' but to get used to it. To do so with your cheap speakers is pointless so wait til you get the proacs and be a little bit patient.

Young hughes123 was almost mortified when he first had his A32. Now he can't praise it enough.

PS. This hi spek banner on the right is starting to do my head in

A

Anonymous

i get some sound from it, though it's very bad! what do you reckon?

A

Anonymous

Is it possible that there's you're using an MC cartridge with an MM stage? MC will output significantly less voltage and requires more phono stage gain. Not even sure what would happen in this situation but I thought I would mention it. Can the A32 switch between MM and MC?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:
PS. This hi spek banner on the right is starting to do my head in

drummerman, I've managed to remove all the advertising on the page with a bit of creativity.

A quick search through the HTML code of the page, and some creative use of your 'hosts' file on your computer can help here.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, then you're best off leaving things be.

I could document this in detail - but then no doubt the WHF webmasters will redesign the page meaning I'll have to try and circumvent the adverts again - but yes, they are annoying indeed....

Tony.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestion Tony_R. I'm no computer wizzard so have to put up with it I guess. I've never noticed it before intruding into the writing space like this. Not amused.

A

Anonymous

There's a couple of suggestions of ad block software in the about the site forum if it's of any interest.

A

Anonymous

My A32 had a phono stage in it, and I didn't ask for one to be fitted! It does switch between MM and MC, and if you have an MM cartridge and the A32 is set as MC, you will just have a very distorted, overloaded sound...you'll know, trust me! The way to tell if yours has a phono stage or not, is to tell where you are putting in the turntable. There should be the phono input to the far right of the amplifier (viewed from rear) and it should be higher than the rest of the inputs. I found the phono stage to be quite good, actually. It has quite a zingy treble on mine too, so I wouldn't call it "subdued". Are you sure you've connected your speakers correctly and the treble inputs are connected? If your unsure, connect your PC or ipod or cd player into the CD input and then tell me what it sounds like! Trust me, the A32 does not sound "subdued" by anyone's standards!

Another thing you could do, if you can, is post a YouTube video of the amplifier playing a song and show me the connections on the rear etc...or take a few photos and post them on here so we can see if there is a problem.

Also, check if your tone control is off - it should be - and what volume did you have it at? You should find about -18db is as loud as you could possibly ever want it on phono.

A

Anonymous

Hughes123:My A32 had a phono stage in it, and I didn't ask for one to be fitted! It does switch between MM and MC, and if you have an MM cartridge and the A32 is set as MC, you will just have a very distorted, overloaded sound...you'll know, trust me! The way to tell if yours has a phono stage or not, is to tell where you are putting in the turntable. There should be the phono input to the far right of the amplifier (viewed from rear) and it should be higher than the rest of the inputs. I found the phono stage to be quite good, actually. It has quite a zingy treble on mine too, so I wouldn't call it "subdued". Are you sure you've connected your speakers correctly and the treble inputs are connected? If your unsure, connect your PC or ipod or cd player into the CD input and then tell me what it sounds like! Trust me, the A32 does not sound "subdued" by anyone's standards!

Another thing you could do, if you can, is post a YouTube video of the amplifier playing a song and show me the connections on the rear etc...or take a few photos and post them on here so we can see if there is a problem.

Also, check if your tone control is off - it should be - and what volume did you have it at? You should find about -18db is as loud as you could possibly ever want it on phono.

HUghes: er...you are completely right. This is what hapens when i rush into running sophisticated material without reading the...instructions- oooops! phone button switched on and blissful sound came up! Humble apologies to arcam 32 and everything to do with it-i just whispered delicately next to the volume switch: ' I will never exchange you my love, i promise' i just can't wait for the proac to come by...thanks Hughes.

A

Anonymous

Bismarckian:Hughes123:My A32 had a phono stage in it, and I didn't ask for one to be fitted! It does switch between MM and MC, and if you have an MM cartridge and the A32 is set as MC, you will just have a very distorted, overloaded sound...you'll know, trust me! The way to tell if yours has a phono stage or not, is to tell where you are putting in the turntable. There should be the phono input to the far right of the amplifier (viewed from rear) and it should be higher than the rest of the inputs. I found the phono stage to be quite good, actually. It has quite a zingy treble on mine too, so I wouldn't call it "subdued". Are you sure you've connected your speakers correctly and the treble inputs are connected? If your unsure, connect your PC or ipod or cd player into the CD input and then tell me what it sounds like! Trust me, the A32 does not sound "subdued" by anyone's standards!

HUghes: er...you are completely right. This is what hapens when i rush into running sophisticated material without reading the...instructions- oooops! phone button switched on and blissful sound came up! Humble apologies to arcam 32 and everything to do with it-i just whispered delicately next to the volume switch: ' I will never exchange you my love, i promise' i just can't wait for the proac to come by...thanks Hughes.

Anytime, anywhere, anyhow!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts