admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Oh I wish I could make my mind up.

I've been considering a S/H Arcam Alpha 8r or 9, but then read about dodgy selector switches etc.

I've had my current Alpha 5 plus for 15 years now so I'm now thinking sod it, I'll buy a new 'un and it'll probably see me out. So, I'm looking at a new FMJ A18 now.

Question is, it'll be fitting into a slot in a wooden cabinet with a Blu ray player and a BT Vision box so there's not much airflow in there. Does the A18 produce much heat? Is it possible to get any any feet or spacers to sit on top of the A18 to aid airflow? The alternative is new furniture and Mrs Duffer would NOT be having any of that in addition to the purchase of the amp.

matthewpiano

The A18 wouldn't be my first choice of amp. I have owned one, with a CD17, and although it does some things really well, it struggles with anything but the easiest of speaker loads and has a tendency to sound bloated and sluggish in the bass. I would strongly recommend listening to one before taking the plunge.

IMO you'd be much better off with a Creek Evolution 2.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
HiFiDuffer said:
Question is, it'll be fitting into a slot in a wooden cabinet with a Blu ray player and a BT Vision box so there's not much airflow in there. Does the A18 produce much heat? Is it possible to get any any feet or spacers to sit on top of the A18 to aid airflow? The alternative is new furniture and Mrs Duffer would NOT be having any of that in addition to the purchase of the amp.

Never put anything on top of the amp. If you HAVE to stack items then ensure the amp is topmost so it gets the most ventilation. (It's cooling vents are on top of the casing and should not be blocked.)

If 'Mrs Duffer' really won't allow any hifi/AV furniture, then maybe it's time to consider something like the Marantz M-CR603. Not because I have one, but because it's class D design barely throws out any heat at all and because it looks pretty good standing on top of a shelf or sideboard or whatever. (Radiused edges, smart gloss black top, hidden cables.)

It costs less than the A18 and has a CD player, FM/DAB/Internet tuner and DAC included. I have heard the A18/CD17 combination and would prefer the M-CR603. (The A18 does not represent Arcam's 'finest hour' and is as dynamic as a stunned slug.)

A

Anonymous

If the space in your wooden cabinet is really critical, you should try a class D amplifier.

Anyway, as long as you leave at least 2cm between the top of the amplifier and the cabinet, you may use most traditional AB amplifier without troubles.

A

Anonymous

Seems like the A18 won't be invited to many parties around these parts... :)

Which is a bit of a shame really as I've just been and gone and bought one.

I've had a bargain (I think) I got an ex-demo one in black from a closing branch of Sevenoaks in Lancaster.

£349 with a full years warranty.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts