Arcam A-18 from Richer Sounds. Deal of the century?

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Some people may remember that I bought a new budget system from Superfi back in February consisting of:

NAD 316 amp

NAD 515 CD

KEF Q300 speakers

Anyway, to cut a long story short, after a few week's running-in period the NAD amp sounded flat as a pancake. Dull beyond belief. Just to get any brightness at all I had to crank the treble to the max. In desperation, and without really knowing what the hell I was doing, I wandered into Richer Sounds and purchased an Arcam A-18 amplifier for an unlikely £299. They let me have it on two week's home trial, so I figured I had nothing to lose. In a nutshell, the Arcam blew my mind. It has a pretty laid back sound and it's not very 'punchy', but the soundstage is mind-blowingly huge, the bass / treble / mid-range balance is impeccable, the level of detail is incredible and it makes all my 1970s-recorded CDs sound open, dynamic, magnificent. 'The Yes album' literally just blew my socks off, Steely Dan is amazing and I'm just about to launch 'Dark side of the moon'! My NAD 316 is now sitting in a cupboard from whence I suspect it will never return.

The Arcam A18 -- just checked online and Richer still have 38 left nationwide. Is it deal of the century, or at least, pretty close?

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
really ? I do see people give a big review about A18. How does it compare marantz PM6004? As I m seeking the best matching with my Q300.

yangdom said:
really ? I do see people give a big review about A18. How does it compare marantz PM6004? As I m seeking the best matching with my Q300.

No idea how the Arcam compares with the Marantz. I would guess, as the Marantz is a budget offering and the Arcam retailed at around £600, the latter would compare nicely. Also Arcam and Kef is generally a very good match. I ahve heard the A18 with Usher S520 and PMC DB1i, as well as with Monitor Audio and it is a flexible amp IMO.

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
HAh, now A18 just 299. So you recommand A 18 at this 300 price level ?(NA7004 is 299 though.) I cant sleep until now, I have to figure out what is the best choice and cant wait to get them tmr. LOL

yangdom said:
HAh, now A18 just 299. So you recommand A 18 at this 300 price level ?(NA7004 is 299 though.) I cant sleep until now, I have to figure out what is the best choice and cant wait to get them tmr. LOL

I'm definitely a Arcam fan. Have owned Arcams for about 17 years. The A18, IMO, would also be better if you need to upgrade speakers. As mentioned before heard them with PMC DB1i (£1,000) and my RS6s (£650) and with the right speakers i.e. Kef, PMC, MA, Focal... sound as good as any amp at the money. Even better value now the price has been slashed. I wouldn't hesitate. Even if you don't like it you wouldn't lose money on it.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yangdom,

I wish I had demo-ed the Marantz 6004 back when I bought the original system. I was so blinded in favour NAD, because I had previously owned and loved the 3020b. I'm now thinking that everything worked out for the best. The Arcam at £299 is amazing for the money and sounds great. It has a real siganture sound -- big, spacious, amazing detail. Plus (and at the risk of sounding like a Luddite) the A-18 model has bass and treble controls for me to fiddle with. I generally run the bass flat, but like to give the treble a gentle shove depending on the CD. If you go to Richer Sounds you can demo both amps side by side. They are slowly running out of Arcams, but you can check availability online.

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
:dance: Thankx, Now, I am on the way to one of the richer sound who gets the stock, 2 hours train. But I still want it ans you said, it's worth it. Wish me good luck, LOL

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Great, Man! :rofl: I am now rolling to thel get one of them now. Called and made a reservation! Hopefuly, she should be in my arms in 2 hours.LOL

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
ye, sure. But I didn't book a demo though. I will ask, 20 mins to exter! Tah dahhh~ If they could give me a demo, I would definitely try PM6004 , rotel ra 04 and a18. As currently, they stay the similar price level. And I also plan to buy a decent Pioneer N50, heard that N50 is also a decent USB DAC, which can bring me a better sound resource. Just googled "pioneer N50". There is a French website, they did the real analog sound quality test with pro equipment, and the result is supr.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The FMJ 18 have been on offer for a couple of months now , since the FMJ 19 was announced.....

Just had a terrible thought....lol.

these 'great' reviews of the FMJ 19 would'nt be to try and stop punters going for the old amp at marked down price....naaah, that could never be the case, could it......

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
The FMJ 18 have been on offer for a couple of months now , since the FMJ 19 was announced.....

Just had a terrible thought....lol.

these 'great' reviews of the FMJ 19 would'nt be to try and stop punters going for the old amp at marked down price....naaah, that could never be the case, could it......

Now that's just plain cynical
smiley-wink.gif

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Naaaah, in my opinion, how fashion the tech stuff built in the amp is not that directly shows to my ears, especially when there is not even revolution emerging. People would rather stick with the mature one. Why would bother to spend much more to buy something that sounds no spark but tiny little better .(I mean based on the current sets that the people have). A18 is good choice tested by the market so far, I believe A19 must be better with something, but for my current taste, the selected PM6004 or A18 or NAD 326 or AS500 or CB 350A or etc can serve me just as I required (And my wallet would also be happy) I guess this is it. LOL, hopefully, my Hi-Fi experience would be richer within my life carry on. Then I shall heads up and stare on some artwork called Hi-End.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
unhalfbricking said:
Good luck! Don't forget, they should give you two week's home demo, so if you're not happy you can take it back.

Just be aware that they will charge 15% handling charge if you take it back and don't buy anything from them.

And display means it does not come with anything apart from the unit itself, so no remote etc.

unhalfbricking

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Mine was an ex-demo, fished out from the shop window, which I have to admit took me aback slightly. However, it came with all due packaging, instructions and remote, together with Arcam registration / 5 year warranty info. I'm not aware of any handling charge issue, although I didn't go through the small print. Happily, the A-18 is a 'keeper'.

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
you are right, i bought mine from Exeter, the gentle man said He cannot find the remote for A18, with send me late, So I just paid first, then until today, no remote so far. Anyway, I bought another remote from ebay, just 12quid.

yangdom

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Aha, so far so good! I paired my A18 with Pioneer N50 to stream my HQ music, Wav, Flac, ALAC. I really like the amplifer, but one more problem here i that the volume of A18 seems a bit low than its screan display showed. You may need to turn it up untill 50 to fullfill the room....And even can talk to mates clears.....

TRENDING THREADS