Appraise my budget systems! sub £500, sub £700, sub £900

steerike

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm having a long overdue overhaul of my listening experience having grown tired of a disparate set of loose components that supposedly fit with my (*ahem*) busy jetset lifestyle but don't really give me that emotional connection I used to have to music. So I want a budget system with the intention of having it in one fixed place for the express purpose of listening to music. My only real 'must haves' are that I want to use online streaming (specifically, Spotify), I want a turntable to start enjoying vinyl again and I would ideally like to use my existing Sonos 1, Sonos Bridge and ancient Cambridge Amplifier to try and keep costs down. Here's 3 options that might work:-

Sub £500

Sonos Connect - £150
Cambridge Audio A1 MK3 Integrated Amplifier - NA
Sonos Play 1 - NA
Q ACOUSTICS2010i GR - 79.95
Project Essential 2 - 219.00
Cambridge Azur 551P pre amp - 49.95
Total: £498.90

Sub £700

Sonos Connect - £150
Sonos Play 1 - NA
Sonos Play 5 - 280.00
Project Essential 2 - 219.00
Total: £698.90

Sub £900

Sonos Connect - £150
Sonos Play 1 - NA
Q ACOUSTICS Concept 20 - 290.00
Project Debut Carbon - 325.00
Total: £814.95

Questions that come to mind:-

1. Sonos 5 v 'Traditional speakers'?

2. Will my old amplifier drag the whole system down to its level?

Thanks in advance of any advice

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I think there are too many options and you are trying to cover too many bases, and that's why you are not getting many responses.

If it was me (assumimg you are going to get a 2nd hand sonos connect anyway) I would concentrate on an amp/speaker combination first to pair with the connect. Take your amp to a local dealer and see if you can demo some speakers with it, and then swap the amp for a new one around the £300-£500 mark which may help you decide whether it is worth pairing a new set of speakers with your amp. Worry about vinyl later after you have sorted the amp/speaker combo. I think you need to take your time with demos to get that emotional connection.

steerike

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
I think there are too many options and you are trying to cover too many bases, and that's why you are not getting many responses.

If it was me (assumimg you are going to get a 2nd hand sonos connect anyway) I would concentrate on an amp/speaker combination first to pair with the connect. Take your amp to a local dealer and see if you can demo some speakers with it, and then swap the amp for a new one around the £300-£500 mark which may help you decide whether it is worth pairing a new set of speakers with your amp. Worry about vinyl later after you have sorted the amp/speaker combo. I think you need to take your time with demos to get that emotional connection.
ok appreciate your comments - perhaps need to build up slowly.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
For £30 you could get a Chromecast Audio, using a tablet, you can then stream Spotify directly into your Cambridge amp. Really cheap and easy, and good enough quality to enjoy whilst you are building up your system. I got one recently and can recommend it. It will save you getting the connect for a while, using the money saved for your new amp or speakers.

steerike

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
For £30 you could get a Chromecast Audio, using a tablet, you can then stream Spotify directly into your Cambridge amp. Really cheap and easy, and good enough quality to enjoy whilst you are building up your system. I got one recently and can recommend it. It will save you getting the connect for a while, using the money saved for your new amp or speakers.
That's a great shout, thank you!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts