Turntable & speakers setup - I need help!

noworke

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm a complete newbie to the world of vinyl, turntables, amps and speakers and after having spent hours on Google, I have to say, I'm absolutely lost to what the best set up would be... I would appreciate any piece of advice on the following points.

MY POTENTIAL SETUP: I really would like to go for a Project TT. Either the Essential II or the Debut Carbon. Not sure I understand the £100 price difference. I suppose it's a mix of better cartridge, better materials, etc. But do you think it is really worth it? I'm planning on keeping it for a few years so I want to make the best investment.

Now the tricky bit. I don't have a pre-amp. So should I get the phono/usb version of the TT? It's about £60-80 more and in the case of the Debut Carbon, it only comes with the OM10 cartridge, not the 2M red. There's a bunch of questions that go with that last point, especially given my 'speaker situation'. I'm planning on using, at first, my old JBL Creature computer speakers. I know it's a shame to use a good TT with such crap speakers - 1 sub + 2 small satellites - but I'm planning on upgrading these with a proper set (and a proper amp) in a year or so. But for now, these will have to do. Plus, they come with an integrated amp which means I don't have to buy a pricey amp right now.

But how exactly will I connect the JBL Creature speakers to the phono/usb TT or separate pre-amp given that the only cable that goes with these speakers ends up with a 3.5mm jack? From what I can see on the Project website, this jack doesn't fit anywhere on the phono/usb TT or on the separate pre-amp. A Project sales rep told me it was possible but how exactly? Do I need to buy an extra cable?

Also, am I better off buying a pre-amp on the side rather than the phono/usb version? I'm not sure the quality of the integrated pre-amp justifies the difference in price between the two versions, and what if I want to upgrade my pre-amp in the future, does it mean I will have to buy another TT? Plus I heard the Cambridge Audio Azur 640P pre-amp was a better piece of kit, and for only £60. Is that true or should I just go for the convenient choice, i.e. the phono/usb version?

So far, this is what my ideal setup would be (in terms of price but also value for money and 'upgradability'). Let me know what you think...

- Project Debut Carbon with 2M red cartridge - Cambridge Audio Azur 640P phono pre-amp - JBL creature speakers with integrated amp

Have I got something wrong? Is that even feasible'??

Thanks a lot!

Welcome to the forum,

It is feasible but I'd question why you would want to. Do you currently own a lot of LP's?

The amplifier in the speaker system is puny. If you were going for a turntable with a option to upgrade to complete hifi system at some time in the future then I would advise you to go for the Debut Carbon without the inbuilt phono amp, however if you are going to connect it to a speaker set-up, that is intended for the likes of portable players, then you are going to need the turntable with the built in phono amp.

You should then be able to get a cable to joint the two (twin female phono sockets to 3.5mm stereo jack plug).

I have no idea what the resultant sound quality or indeed the volume will be like.

Personally I think you would be better off relying on the computer (or phone etc) providing the input until you can afford an integrated amp and pair of speakers but I guess thats not really my concern.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts