Apple Music via iPad into Hegel H95

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Tinman1952

Stupid question - where will I find this 24/96 info and what does it mean?

Sorry that’s two stupid questions.
Not stupid at all 🙂 There are no stupid questions….only stupid answers!
Apple call these albums ‘Hi-res Lossless’ but you need a DAC that tells you the sample rate received to actually confirm what you are getting.
24/96 means 24 bit 96 kHz (CD quality is 16 bit 44.1 kHz - anything above is hi-res)
I am hopeful it will work ok for you though.

Last edited:

bristollinnet

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
A device by Audioquest that doesn’t fit an iPad! Can’t you stream to your Hegel wirelessly, or better yet use a service it supports?

I believe the Hegel supports Airplay 2 and Spotify, and presumably others? Are you trying to send a digital stream from the iPad and use the Hegel DAC to decode it, because the iPad DAC is actually excellent. But I don’t think it copes with the lossless higher resolution outputs.

AirPlay won't (at least not yet) support HiRes lossless streaming - ie not much better than lossy BlueTooth.

Reactions: nopiano

mlucy

May 3, 2021
Visit site
Hi,

Just a quick question for the music streaming experts please.

I have a nearly new iPad Pro bought 3 months ago, I plan to connect this to my Hegel H95 via the USB-b port on the rear of the amp to stream Apple Music.

To connect I was planning on using an Audio Quest USB-C to USB-B cable from Future Shop, is this all that I would need or is there something else that I need to add to get the streaming to work?

Many thanks.
When you connect your Hegel device to a computer with a USB cable (not included), the Hegel will automatically install itself as a USB soundcard on all newer versions of Windows, macOS, and most Linux operating systems.

Oxfordian

Update on the iPad to Hegel saga.

The cable arrived today which is a pretty good service from Future Shop as I didn’t pay for an express delivery.

For those who are interested I bought an Audioquest Forest USB-C to USB-B cable for £39.00, postage cost me a further £4.

I connected the cable to the Hegel H95 first, then into my iPa.

Selecting USB on the Hegel and going onto Apple Music on the iPad, then some general music the speakers immediately came to life playing the Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar very nice, but no acknowledgement of whether the track was normal or lossless.

The display on the Hegel states that the feed is at 44.1khz.

Switching to Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend on lossless the Hegel played the music without issue, but still at 44.1 kHz.

When I tried to switch to hi-res lossless the iPad advised me that an external DAC capable of playing this format was required did I want to continue, I did but the Hegel continued to play at 44.1KHz.

Further investigation reveals that the Hegel will only play up to 96KHz not hi-res, but I believe that 44.1 is CD quality which is fine.

So overall my first hour or so playing with the set-up has been great, certainly there is more to come, I have to see what else I can stream, radio programs via assorted apps and such like.

For an expenditure of £43 I have CD quality streaming from my iPad Pro, this is awesome.

If anyone has any tips on getting more from the system please add them to this thread.

Reactions: nopiano

Tinman1952

Update on the iPad to Hegel saga.

The cable arrived today which is a pretty good service from Future Shop as I didn’t pay for an express delivery.

For those who are interested I bought an Audioquest Forest USB-C to USB-B cable for £39.00, postage cost me a further £4.

I connected the cable to the Hegel H95 first, then into my iPa.

Selecting USB on the Hegel and going onto Apple Music on the iPad, then some general music the speakers immediately came to life playing the Rolling Stones - Brown Sugar very nice, but no acknowledgement of whether the track was normal or lossless.

The display on the Hegel states that the feed is at 44.1khz.

Switching to Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend on lossless the Hegel played the music without issue, but still at 44.1 kHz.

When I tried to switch to hi-res lossless the iPad advised me that an external DAC capable of playing this format was required did I want to continue, I did but the Hegel continued to play at 44.1KHz.

Further investigation reveals that the Hegel will only play up to 96KHz not hi-res, but I believe that 44.1 is CD quality which is fine.

So overall my first hour or so playing with the set-up has been great, certainly there is more to come, I have to see what else I can stream, radio programs via assorted apps and such like.

For an expenditure of £43 I have CD quality streaming from my iPad Pro, this is awesome.

If anyone has any tips on getting more from the system please add them to this thread.
Excellent ..glad it worked ok and you are happy 🙂 Final tip…check in the Apple Music settings that you have ‘lossless’ chosen to ensure you get CD quality. The lossy AAC codec will still show as 44.1 kHz
If the playing screen in Apple Music says Lossless then you know you are ok 👍
96 kHz is definitely hi-res so you are not missing out with the Hegel USB connection 🙂

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Excellent ..glad it worked ok and you are happy 🙂 Final tip…check in the Apple Music settings that you have ‘lossless’ chosen to ensure you get CD quality. The lossy AAC codec will still show as 44.1 kHz
If the playing screen in Apple Music says Lossless then you know you are ok 👍
96 kHz is definitely hi-res so you are not missing out with the Hegel USB connection 🙂

I double checked the settings and AM is set at Lossless, up to 24bit/48khz, hi-res is not available without the outboard DAC.

Yes for £43 it’s not a bad option to have, not every track on AM displays as Lossless, especially if you use an AM playlist, but individual albums I have looked for and selected have Lossless displayed.

And it was a piece of cake to set up.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Glad it has worked for you. Just to be clear for others who read this, you’ve a very new iPad with a USB output, not the Lightning connection Apple used until last year or so?
Is it sending the Hegel a digital stream, or is it using the iPad DAC?
Yes I wondered about this too when it wouldn't apparently go above 24/48KHz.
My lightning connection plus CCK gives 24/192 to my DAC. 🤔

Oxfordian

Glad it has worked for you. Just to be clear for others who read this, you’ve a very new iPad with a USB output, not the Lightning connection Apple used until last year or so?
Is it sending the Hegel a digital stream, or is it using the iPad DAC?

Yes, my iPad was new this year, it’s the pro version and has the usb-c connection, I presume that this set-up is using the Hegel DAC but I cannot be certain as I don’t know how to verify this.

Tinman1952

My understanding is that Hegel limits the usb to 24/96, if you want better you would have to use an outboard DAC.
That’s my understanding too. I believe Hegel use a slightly older version of the USB receiver chip for sound quality reasons. 24/96 is plenty for hi-res in my opinion.
We are just wondering if your newer iPad is sending a bitstream for your Hegel DAC to decode or pcm audio from the iPad using its internal DAC.
It‘s just a technical point….it really doesn’t matter if you are enjoying the sound quality from your system! 🙂

Oxfordian

That’s my understanding too. I believe Hegel use a slightly older version of the USB receiver chip for sound quality reasons. 24/96 is plenty for hi-res in my opinion.
We are just wondering if your newer iPad is sending a bitstream for your Hegel DAC to decode or pcm audio from the iPad using its internal DAC.
It‘s just a technical point….it really doesn’t matter if you are enjoying the sound quality from your system! 🙂

Is there a way that I can check?

Tinman1952

Is there a way that I can check?
If the Hegel were receiving a bitstream of 24/96 it would show 96khz…but it might just be your Hegel is not recognised by the iPad as an accepted DAC (?)
The only way I can think of to check is to beg, borrow or steal another DAC which shows the receiving sample rate. Like a little Topping D10 or E30 for example.
I would certainly never suggest buying one from Amazon to try and then send it back …….😉

Oxfordian

If the Hegel were receiving a bitstream of 24/96 it would show 96khz…but it might just be your Hegel is not recognised by the iPad as an accepted DAC (?)
The only way I can think of to check is to beg, borrow or steal another DAC which shows the receiving sample rate. Like a little Topping D10 or E30 for example.
I would certainly never suggest buying one from Amazon to try and then send it back …….😉

I’m not that bothered to be honest, the quality is pretty good, certainly worth the cost of the cable.

AM doesn’t give a 24/96 format, on offer are 256kbps, 24bit/48khz and 24/192, the latter two being stated as up to.

The display on the Hegel varies from 44.1khz to 48khz depending on what you are playing, I thought that ’Apple Digital Master’ might be the reason why some rates are higher than others but that isn’t the case. Joni Mitchell and Eric Clapton both have this ADM and Lossless displayed but Joni is 48khz whilst Eric is 44.1khz.

So in effect I have the use of good old AAC or the new ALAC, I’m happy with the sound in the brief listens I have had, if anyone knows how to dig into the systems to double check what is being used DAC wise or on the playback rate please chip in as I am interested in gaining some knowledge.

tommysoleng

Jul 8, 2021
Visit site
Hi all. Just had to register to reply to this thread.

I too have the Hegel H95 and been trying to use an USB-C iPad Pro (2018) as a media hub with Apple Music now that they've gone lossless. Ordered a USB-A to USB-B cable and the Apple USB-C Digital A/V adapter so I could also power the iPad while streaming music. I connected everything and was looking forward to getting lossless streaming goin. The Hegel shows USB connected with a 48kHz signal when I put on a lossless album but no sound comes out of my B&W speakers! I change to a Hi-Res lossless album and the Hegel switches to 96kHz, but still no sound! Now I feel pretty stupid for blowing the cash on a adapter and a USB cable I have no other need for.

I contact Hegel about my problem and get a quick reply that their USB port is only configured to PC and Mac.

I must say I sort of gave up on this whole Apple Music lossless thing and started looking for streamers that play other services lossless. The CA Evo 150 looks pretty cool, but I'm not about to blow that kind of money just to stream something from Tidal or other lossless services.

A few days goes by and searching the web for similar solutions to Apple Music and I find this thread. Now that I know it would work at least up to 48kHz as the OP has the same setup but a different USB cable so I started trying other possible solutions. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab s7, so I plugged it in with the same cable and Apple adapter just for the hell of it, and the Hegel shows 48kHz stream and it works! There is sound! But then I realize Apple Music is not updated to lossless for Android. Now I find a Dell USB-C to USB-A adapter that came with a Dell XPS I have at work, connect it to the iPad and then to the Hegel, and it works too! Put on the Hi-Res album, the Hegel shows USB connected 96kHz, and that works too!

So now I can play Apple Hi-Res lossless, but I can't charge the iPad at the same time...
Next I'll try to order something like the ALOGIC USB-C (Male) to USB-C (Female) Audio and USB-C (Female) Charging Combo Adapter. Hope that will let me charge and play at the same time.

Tinman1952

I too have the Hegel H95 and been trying to use an USB-C iPad Pro (2018) as a media hub with Apple Music now that they've gone lossless. Ordered a USB-A to USB-B cable and the Apple USB-C Digital A/V adapter so I could also power the iPad while streaming music. I connected everything and was looking forward to getting lossless streaming goin. The Hegel shows USB connected with a 48kHz signal when I put on a lossless album but no sound comes out of my B&W speakers! I change to a Hi-Res lossless album and the Hegel switches to 96kHz, but still no sound! Now I feel pretty stupid for blowing the cash on a adapter and a USB cable I have no other need for.

I contact Hegel about my problem and get a quick reply that their USB port is only configured to PC and Mac.

I must say I sort of gave up on this whole Apple Music lossless thing and started looking for streamers that play other services lossless. The CA Evo 150 looks pretty cool, but I'm not about to blow that kind of money just to stream something from Tidal or other lossless services.

A few days goes by and searching the web for similar solutions to Apple Music and I find this thread. Now that I know it would work at least up to 48kHz as the OP has the same setup but a different USB cable so I started trying other possible solutions. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab s7, so I plugged it in with the same cable and Apple adapter just for the hell of it, and the Hegel shows 48kHz stream and it works! There is sound! But then I realize Apple Music is not updated to lossless for Android. Now I find a Dell USB-C to USB-A adapter that came with a Dell XPS I have at work, connect it to the iPad and then to the Hegel, and it works too! Put on the Hi-Res album, the Hegel shows USB connected 96kHz, and that works too!

So now I can play Apple Hi-Res lossless, but I can't charge the iPad at the same time...
Next I'll try to order something like the ALOGIC USB-C (Male) to USB-C (Female) Audio and USB-C (Female) Charging Combo Adapter. Hope that will let me charge and play at the same time.
Sounds like you got the ‘tea boy‘ at Hegel who doesn’t understand the USB standard……🙄
Strange the Apple adapter works with the phone but not the iPad….? Faulty?
Some cheap USB cables are iffy about charging as they won’t take the power so best to try a few. Good luck!

Oxfordian

I have to be honest it took a bit of sorting out but once I had the USB-C/B it was plain sailing.

The charging issue rarely if ever is going to be an issue for me as I don’t tend to listed to ‘streamed’ music seriously, but having the option to have background music streamed whilst having friends round for a meal is great.

Streaming is something that I find useful but as yet not something I am willing to spend money on, so I will decide later in the year my free Apple Music trial runs out, I will probably pay a subscription.

Pleased to hear you have sorted the issue and now have the 24/96 music playing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts