Apple Music via iPad into Hegel H95

Oxfordian

Hi,

Just a quick question for the music streaming experts please.

I have a nearly new iPad Pro bought 3 months ago, I plan to connect this to my Hegel H95 via the USB-b port on the rear of the amp to stream Apple Music.

To connect I was planning on using an Audio Quest USB-C to USB-B cable from Future Shop, is this all that I would need or is there something else that I need to add to get the streaming to work?

Many thanks.

Reactions: mlucy
Sorry what’s a dragonfly red?
A device by Audioquest that doesn’t fit an iPad! Can’t you stream to your Hegel wirelessly, or better yet use a service it supports?

I believe the Hegel supports Airplay 2 and Spotify, and presumably others? Are you trying to send a digital stream from the iPad and use the Hegel DAC to decode it, because the iPad DAC is actually excellent. But I don’t think it copes with the lossless higher resolution outputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxfordian

prince albert

May 7, 2020
Visit site
A device by Audioquest that doesn’t fit an iPad! Can’t you stream to your Hegel wirelessly, or better yet use a service it supports?

I believe the Hegel supports Airplay 2 and Spotify, and presumably others? Are you trying to send a digital stream from the iPad and use the Hegel DAC to decode it, because the iPad DAC is actually excellent. But I don’t think it copes with the lossless higher resolution outputs.
yes it will i use one with adapter https://www.audioquest.com/streaming-computer-audio/dragonfly/dragonfly-red

Oxfordian

This is my dilemma, I know sod all about streaming but like the idea, so without jumping into the savings account again to buy stuff I don’t know if I need I thought that I would give the iPad linked to the Hegel a go.

The Hegel is at present a stand-alone amp connected to my RP3 and Audiolab 6000cdt, I know that I could connect it to my home network via the Ethernet port on the rear of the amp but I have no way of doing that at present as the gear is in a spare bedroom until we move house hopefully later this year, then it may well be connected.

In my mind I thought that a cheap way to get streaming into my hifi would be via a cable from iPad to Amp, then if I like it/find it useful then I can explore further. Oh and having 6 months of Apple Music free helps.

I am a lacking in the technical know how hence asking the question, if I wanted to use the Hegel wirelessly how would I do that?

When I set the Hegel up a month ago my thoughts were to get an ifi Zen Blue and connect via that but with Apple announcing this lossless / hi-res streaming I wondered if I could get my iPad connected to the Hegel via a USB-C to USB-B cable just to test things out and then decide if I wanted to go further with streaming.

Any help / guidance will be gratefully received. Thanks.

Any help / guidance will be gratefully received. Thanks.
If you’ve not had somebody else reply by this evening, I will endeavour to read up the H95 manual. Have you tried Airplay, or maybe that needs the Hegel connected to your network, but you don’t have an Ethernet connection? I’m reluctant to suggest using Homeplug Ethernet as they can cause they’re own issues!

Vincent Kars

https://support.hegel.com/component/jdownloads/send/3-files/84-h95-user-manual-english is not very specific.
You can try Airplay but the H95 must be networked and the only way to do so is hardwired.
p17 tells it can be used as a USB DAC for Win and Mac
Looking at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0, this applies to the iPhone as well.
In your case the H95 wil be your external DAC.
Looks like all you need is a USB cable.
IMHO you better don't waste money on a audiophile grade cable, get a decent one.

Oxfordian

If you’ve not had somebody else reply by this evening, I will endeavour to read up the H95 manual. Have you tried Airplay, or maybe that needs the Hegel connected to your network, but you don’t have an Ethernet connection? I’m reluctant to suggest using Homeplug Ethernet as they can cause they’re own issues!

If I connected the Hegel to my network I am sure that this would allow me to access AirPlay etc but short of running a very very very long cable across the lounge, up the stairs, along the landing, across the spare bedroom to the amp I am a bit stuck.

If the Zen Blue is the only option then so be it that is what I will have to get and Bluetooth the feed in but not in hi-res. This would however allow me to try out streaming although in a reduced format.

Oxfordian

https://support.hegel.com/component/jdownloads/send/3-files/84-h95-user-manual-english is not very specific.
You can try Airplay but the H95 must be networked and the only way to do so is hardwired.
p17 tells it can be used as a USB DAC for Win and Mac
Looking at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-play-hi-res-music-your-iphone-0, this applies to the iPhone as well.
In your case the H95 wil be your external DAC.
Looks like all you need is a USB cable.
IMHO you better don't waste money on a audiophile grade cable, get a decent one.

Thanks, so if I’ve read your reply correctly a USB-C to USB-B cable would work, no need to spend too much on the cable just get something reasonably decent?

Vincent Kars

short of running a very very very long cable
Hum, in this case Bluetooth might have problems to bridge the distance too.
Have a look at "homeplug", ethernet over the powerline
One close to the router and one close to the Hegel

just get something reasonably decent?
Yes.
In case of Android this will work
In case of iPhone you maybe need the camerakit if the DAC draws to much poer

Oxfordian

Hum, in this case Bluetooth might have problems to bridge the distance too.
Have a look at "homeplug", ethernet over the powerline
One close to the router and one close to the Hegel

Yes.
In case of Android this will work
In case of iPhone you maybe need the camerakit if the DAC draws to much poer

I am happy to Bluetooth via an ifi zen blue, that’s not an issue, the ZB can sit with the Hegel and feed one of the Optical inputs on the Hegel, but Bluetooth is as we all know limited.

The cable option would be preferable as it is a simpler solution, not to mention considerably cheaper but does (will?) it give me lossless at high res?

From what I am reading it would seem that it does but then I read elsewhere that it doesn’t, I guess it might be worth taking a stab at finding out if this works by just ordering a cheap cable and giving it a go, what is there to lose?

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
I am happy to Bluetooth via an ifi zen blue, that’s not an issue, the ZB can sit with the Hegel and feed one of the Optical inputs on the Hegel, but Bluetooth is as we all know limited.

The cable option would be preferable as it is a simpler solution, not to mention considerably cheaper but does (will?) it give me lossless at high res?

From what I am reading it would seem that it does but then I read elsewhere that it doesn’t, I guess it might be worth taking a stab at finding out if this works by just ordering a cheap cable and giving it a go, what is there to lose?
I would forget Bluetooth, as it can’t even do CD quality. The USB cable route is ok, but you’ll not get any of the better benefits of Apple’s newest service. However, good MP3 can be pretty good, at least until you hear something better!
If you can lash up the Ethernet cable, even if it hangs outside, it might be worth a go. A long cable is under a tenner. Then you could try Spotify via Hegel by following their instructions. That would lead to home-plugs, to replace the Ethernet lash up if you want it longer term.

It seems you need Ethernet to install Airplay links, but I’m unsure if you need it thereafter. ( I have an AudioPro speaker that works with Airplay but I have to wire it for setup)

PS. Did you see this other thread? The video is worth 8 minutes of your life!

Oxfordian

I would forget Bluetooth, as it can’t even do CD quality. The USB cable route is ok, but you’ll not get any of the better benefits of Apple’s newest service. However, good MP3 can be pretty good, at least until you hear something better!
If you can lash up the Ethernet cable, even if it hangs outside, it might be worth a go. A long cable is under a tenner. Then you could try Spotify via Hegel by following their instructions. That would lead to home-plugs, to replace the Ethernet lash up if you want it longer term.

It seems you need Ethernet to install Airplay links, but I’m unsure if you need it thereafter. ( I have an AudioPro speaker that works with Airplay but I have to wire it for setup)

Just ordered a USB-C to USB-B cable , should arrive Tuesday / Wednesday so will plug it in and report findings in due course.

Reactions: nopiano

Oxfordian

PS. Did you see this other thread? The video is worth 8 minutes of your life!

I did see it, came up on my YT feed as a recommended watch, it many ways it prompted me to start this thread as there were comments saying that you could stream lossless to a amp using the aforementioned cable, then immediately a contradiction was posted.

I guess that getting a cable, connecting my iPad and Hegel will tell me what happens. The connection should work the question is at what?

Tinman1952

Hi,

Just a quick question for the music streaming experts please.

I have a nearly new iPad Pro bought 3 months ago, I plan to connect this to my Hegel H95 via the USB-b port on the rear of the amp to stream Apple Music.

To connect I was planning on using an Audio Quest USB-C to USB-B cable from Future Shop, is this all that I would need or is there something else that I need to add to get the streaming to work?

Many thanks.
Sorry only just saw this thread.
I believe you will also need the Apple CCK adapter to take the direct digital out from your iPad and avoid the iOS operating system resampling the audio.

Oxfordian

Sorry only just saw this thread.
I believe you will also need the Apple CCK adapter to take the direct digital out from your iPad and avoid the iOS operating system resampling the audio.

Thanks for the heads up but I cannot see this CCK on Apple’s website, there is one for the old Lightning connection but as far as I can see not one utilising the USB-C connection.

Once my cable arrives I will test the set up and update the thread.

D

Deleted member 116933

Man, this thread was made so much more difficult than it needed to be,
a simple yeah that would work would have done.

@Oxfordian you won't need the CCK cable (Usb converter cable) the newer iPad USB's i belive
unless you have a lightning connection.

Have fun it will sound fab

Oxfordian

Man, this thread was made so much more difficult than it needed to be,
a simple yeah that would work would have done.

@Oxfordian you won't need the CCK cable (Usb converter cable) the newer iPad USB's i belive
unless you have a lightning connection.

Have fun it will sound fab

Cable is on its way, I have an e-mail confirming that it has been dispatched by first class post so should arrive either tomorrow or the day after. I am looking forward to testing the process out and seeing what happens.

Tinman1952

Thanks for the heads up but I cannot see this CCK on Apple’s website, there is one for the old Lightning connection but as far as I can see not one utilising the USB-C connection.

Once my cable arrives I will test the set up and update the thread.
Sorry yes if you have USB C on your iPad you don’t need the CCK cable it will work fine. Just check you are not limited to 24bit 48kHz output.👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts