Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
How do I get to enjoy it?
Currently throwing Apple Music from my iPhone via Airplay to an airport express 2 into an amp but I understand 24/192 will need a cable from my iPhone to a DAC as Airplay won’t support it. Apple sell a lighting to usb or usb C cable which I assume I’ll need - I’m wondering if there are any usb C input DACs out there that anyone can recommend as surely they will have a better longevity than usb.
thanks everyone.

D

Deleted member 116933

How do I get to enjoy it?
Currently throwing Apple Music from my iPhone via Airplay to an airport express 2 into an amp but I understand 24/192 will need a cable from my iPhone to a DAC as Airplay won’t support it. Apple sells a lighting to USB or USB C cable which I assume I’ll need - I’m wondering if there are any USB C input DACs out there that anyone can recommend as surely they will have better longevity than USB.
thanks, everyone.

Depending on the phone you have will dictate the dongle needed. Lightning to USB which is what i need for mine, think they referrer to it as the camera cable or some such. To my knowledge, no DAC has a USB c input and would have no need for the standard at this moment in time.

So as long as you don't need anything thing else connected to the DAC eg TV An AudioQuest dragonfly (whatever flavour you choose) will do the job lovely with a 3.5mm to RCA into the amp.

Or if you're feeling flush a nice cord mojo cream of the crop sound or any one of its bigger brothers will do the trick.

But there are many options on the market all at various price points.

USB longevity- never had a problem with USB A and B in 20 years and still don't it's very robust and well-designed hardware

Simonsaysit

Mar 24, 2021
Visit site
Thank you. That’s great advice and I suppose I can use the dragonfly (cobalt?) with my Sony xm4 headphones too (with a cable). Hurrah. I’ve got an iPhone 8, just looking on the Apple website for the cable. Thank you.

For longevity, I simply meant I expect that USB will eventually be dropped for the C but I appreciate that’s many years away so I’ll not worry.

Tinman1952

Thank you. That’s great advice and I suppose I can use the dragonfly (cobalt?) with my Sony xm4 headphones too (with a cable). Hurrah. I’ve got an iPhone 8, just looking on the Apple website for the cable. Thank you.

For longevity, I simply meant I expect that USB will eventually be dropped for the C but I appreciate that’s many years away so I’ll not worry.
Personally I think the Cobalt very expensive for what it is. A much better (and cheaper) option for me would be the iFi Audio Zen DAC. Headphones or into a HiFi amplifier/speaker set up. Top quality sound….

D

Deleted member 116933

The cobalt is a very fine DAC indeed, and one of the very best on the market if you want to be portable and or discreet. There are others second hand that for the RRP of cobalt would outperform it like the mojo and offer far greater feature set and could grow with you through your audio journey, ie you could add the poly to it
or connect it straight to the tv and so on. or could be used as a pre into a pair of "dumb" active speakers.

But that's you call as i said many options that it might be worth thinking about. But the cobalt is a solid choice

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts