Apple home sharing - what am I doing wrong?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi - I remember reading in a previous issue of WHF that you could access media files from your home network via your iWhatever if you turned on 'home sharing' on your device, with a brief explanation of how to do it.

I think I've enabled it correctly on my iPhone, but I don't see my NAS drive or the media share on it available when i look under 'more' on the iPod of my iPhone. Can anyone think what I'm doing wrong? Do I need to enable something on my Mac/Timecapsule (acting as wireless bridge)/NAS?

Cheers,

Dan

motley

Aug 15, 2008
Visit site
My home sharing works with one of my iPads but when I open itunes music on the second the shared library "House" logo vanishes. I have rebooted the router and the AE nothing makes any difference and the settings are the same on both???

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Home Sharing allows you to share iTunes Libraries, not NAS drives.

If your iTunes Library is on a NAS drive then you need to go into iTunes and turn on Home Sharing. It must be turned on in both iTunes and the iDevice. You must also use the same Apple ID to do it and be on the same local network.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
What I quickly learned is that home sharing will only share your music to your iDevice if you leave iTunes running on a host PC/Mac. Presumably if your NAS also operates as an iTunes server then you're fine, but many do not. Mine doesn't for starters. Basically there is no facility on iOS to tell the Music app to stream from a specific path on the local network. If there is, then I've never found it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts