apple airport express v apple tv for sq only

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
are they the same if i had them both and bought the airfoil would they work the same.

i ask because the mrs said for £20 more see would prefer the option to rent the odd film .

i also like the black. or can you get the airport in black.

the thread before the gentleman seems very impressed.

the only downside i can see coming is i want control it at my laptop and you do that with the airport. does the apple tv require the osd from tv.monitor ect.

Paul.

you can use an atv2 in the same way as the airport express, I usually have my TV switched off when playing music. You can set itunes to use atv2 as air speakers and stream from the laptop, or use airfoil to stream your other audio content.

I personally like streaming youtube from my iphone to the tv, is great when friends are around having drinks, not having to faff with a laptop.

The other thing to consider is that the abilities of the atv2 will grow with time, much like the ps3 has. When I first bought my ps3 it could spin bluerays and games, and that was pretty much it. It got loads of functionality through updates. The same will happen with the atv2. Definitely worth the extra £20 in my opinion.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I assume you are going Digital out in to an AV amp or a DAC? I have heard that the New TV outputs its digital audio as 48khz not CD 44.1 which in theory means the TV output is not bit perfect, I am doupting this will have a huge effect on sound quality between the two devices, your end kit DAC Amp Speakers will be the bigger effect.

You can control the TV from the TV (On Screen), or once set up as with the AE you can stream audio to it from your itunes on your laptop, assuming they are both on the same network, you can also stream Audio Video from a Phone/touch/Pad to it.

As an AE can be purchased from apple refurbished for £60 the cost difference is £40, if you think you will watch moves, surf etc it is probably worth the difference, but its not my cash so you need to decide.

Do not know if Airtunes works with the TV though, someone else may be able to answer.

John Duncan

emotion-21.gif

biggus_1961

Nov 24, 2007
Visit site
when streaming from itunes to atv2 and then optical from atv2 to av reciever optical in does the reciever do the converting from digital to analouge ?

So what im trying to put into words is this....is there a dac inside my imac that converts itunes music and then sends to atv2 or is it sent unconverted from imac to atv2, do i have a 'setting' in itunes on my imac to say send unconverted or to send already converted as i would want my reciver to use its dac .

Hope that made sense :)

daveh75

biggus_1961:when streaming from itunes to atv2 and then optical from atv2 to av reciever optical in does the reciever do the converting from digital to analouge ?

Yes, your receiver is doing the D to A conversion,

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
biggus_1961:is there a dac inside my imac that converts itunes music and then sends to atv2 or is it sent unconverted from imac to atv2, do i have a 'setting' in itunes on my imac to say send unconverted or to send already converted as i would want my reciver to use its dac .Hope that made sense :)

As far as i am aware it goes From the MAC to the TV un-converted you will not find a setting to change this.

axman

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
biggus_1961:when streaming from itunes to atv2 and then optical from atv2 to av reciever optical in does the reciever do the converting from digital to analouge ? So what im trying to put into words is this....is there a dac inside my imac that converts itunes music and then sends to atv2 or is it sent unconverted from imac to atv2, do i have a 'setting' in itunes on my imac to say send unconverted or to send already converted as i would want my reciver to use its dac . Hope that made sense :)

The way I see it, as long as you don't break the digital chain, then it is unconverted. So if you connect wireless to your apple TV2, it is still digital. Then you connect via optical to your receiver, it is still digital. From your receiver to your speakers, it is analogue. Hence, your receiver was the last in the digital chain and therefore the converter as well.

For a better example, if you connect from itunes to apple express and from there via analogue to your receiver, then your apple express would have done the converting. Alternatively, from apple express, you can also choose to connect via optical to your receiver, thus maintaining the digital chain to the receiver, and thus in this case, the receiver will do the converting. Hope that makes sense.

TRENDING THREADS