Anyone still using Minidics?

insider9

Just before Christmas I bought a minidisc player/recorder. I've not used a one since recording on a 4 track in the late nineties so have no discs. Was considering selling it on but now curiosity got the best of me.

Anyone still using them? Any thoughts on the matter?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I picked up a mint Sony player/recorder for £50 off ebay together with some blank discs, no real reason why as I don't plan on doing any recording, poss because I never had the money when the format first came out, currently looking into the pre-recorded discs but finding the prices quite high for a outdated format.

*music2*

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Yes, got a Sony player/recorder, had it about a year... had a Yammy before that for about 15 years, still works, but prefer the Sony.

Mainly use it for mixing audio magazines.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

insider9

Yes, it is a Sony I have as well. I've only used this as a DAC so far as don't have any discs. Must say after an hour of listening I've not heard a night and day difference (if any) to Yamaha's ESS Sabre chip.

It could be quite an interesting device to keep considering it's recording capabilities and already mentioned DAC. I am now even tempted to buy a Chromecast Audio to see if it improves it's sound quality. If it did I could built a downstairs system based on it's DAC :)

Gray

Much forgotten of course and not bit perfect, the Sony JB-930 full-width (one-time flagship) Minidisc deck. 'Tuned for UK sound' , it sounded pretty good to me.

Coaxial and optical digital ins and outs as well as analogue as an early way to digitise vinyl (albeit imperfectly). And as for editing, so much more versatile than any subsequent CDRW recorders. My brother still uses it and I've got their MZ-R35 portable, a recorder / player though more fiddly to edit with than the 930.

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Since moved to a new house, I'm set it up in my man's cave. The Sony MZ n710 works perfect and de SQ is good. Lots of discs to work with. On a Dutch second-hand site (marktplaats) there are enough (blanc) discs for sale, prices vary from a few euro's to 10 per piece.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I still have one, but I don't use it and it's not rigged up to anything. I was late to the MD party to start with and I abandoned the format completely when it became cheaper to buy a small pack of blank unbranded CDRs than one single blank Sony MD.

jonathanbruce@me

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

I still use Minidisc. I still have my portable MZ-N707 as well as the Tascam MD-350. When i use my Zoom H6 recorder I use .wav on the device and then copy to Minidisc. I have a lot of minidiscs from when I used it a lot in the late 90s. I still prefer minidisc to mp3 even now.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I no longer use them but had minidiscs for several years. The Sony portables were excellent recorders, good for out-and-about recording as well as music playback. For me, they were a logical progression from Uher open reel and the Sony pro-Walkman cassette machines.

Discs are still available on eBay at reasonable prices.

I sold my minidisc recorders a couple of years ago and moved onto solid state recorders like the Olympus LS12 and Sony PCM D50, which are more flexible and capable of hi-res recording.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts