Anyone replacing CDs with LPs?

Earsome

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
I have just scored an unparalleled success in that I have, at last, after waiting years, bought an original copy of the legendary Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. It's not actually in my hands yet, but I thought I'd pose my question anyway because - I already have Bitches Brew - on CD. I won't go into the digital/analogue argument here - I've made a brief post on the thread about the recent resurgence of records so please read and comment there about that. In the last few years I have repeatedly NOT bought a new 'vinyl reissue', because to my mind it amounts to a kind of fakery. There was a good reason to reissue albums when CDs were invented. The new 'vinyls' being produced now - with some very rare exceptions - are simply vinyl pressings of the same digital remaster, your CD cut to a record in other words. My advice is to avoid. I accidentally bought Tutu, 'deluxe edition' - mainly because there was a live album included in the package. I threw the copy of Tutu away as I have the original, but I played it first for a few minutes. It's kind of not there, the balance is out, the EQ is wrong, there's no weight in the bass - it doesn't hit you, but most of all it's very quiet, I've no idea what happened there. Binned. There is a company cutting records from the original master tapes - Gain2. There are probably others but I came across a used Gain2 copy of Bitches Brew at £200. These may be worth having, I've never heard one, but the catalogue is very limited and niche. I would always want the original for a host of reasons. So who else is throwing out their CDs and fake digital vinyl?

Reactions: nopiano
I think there’s always been a collectors market for LPs, whether first editions, rare releases, or music that never reached CD. It’s probably changed significantly in this era of LP resurgence.

I only play LPs from my youth, and I pretty much stopped buying by the late 1980s, but I like reliving the nostalgia.

I definitely struggle to see the point of buying a digital master, with the bass mono’d and cut into vinyl at £25 or more a pop.

The MoFi releases look like collectors items of the future, but they’re all stuff on the umpteenth re-release!

Reactions: Al ears

abacus

There are plenty of shops around that sell used originals in good/excellent condition, (Although a number of albums are like gold dust and expensive) so best to have a look there first before going for a new remastered one.

Bill

Earsome

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Worth having at £200 a time? Each to his/her own I suppose...
To be clear I think it is massively overpriced - the new releases from gain2 are around £40- 50 but this release is now deleted. The point being that it is a pure analogue product and someone thinks that makes it worth a lot, I passed it by. I just paid £35 for the original.

I am still buying both formats. I would not consider replacing CDs with vinyl if I already own the CD. I might, however, think about getting the SACD version of my favourite albums if there was one available.
Throughout my whole collection I don't think I have a CD and vinyl version of the same album. That, to me, would be a waste of hard-earned cash.

Reactions: Friesiansam

iMark

I've got quite some CD versions of classical LPs, most of them in remastered box sets at very reasonable prices. They are very interesting material to compare original releases from the 1960s to 1980s (both analogue and digital recordings). In all instances the CDs of the same recordings sound better than the LPs.

I wouldn't recommend collecting classical LPs if you can get the same recording as a CD.

nads

All my CDs are archived and maybe getting rid of the actual disc. New music will be whatever I find it on. I hope vinyl and a high res download. Will keep a disc spinner for SACD/DVD-A/HDCD etc

abacus

All my CDs are archived and maybe getting rid of the actual disc. New music will be whatever I find it on. I hope vinyl and a high res download. Will keep a disc spinner for SACD/DVD-A/HDCD etc

Just remember it is illegal to rip CDs (And store the rips) and then sell or pass on the CDs themselves, plus it is always wise to keep the original (Put them in a sealed box in the loft) just in case.

Bill

DCarmi

Just remember it is illegal to rip CDs (And store the rips) and then sell or pass on the CDs themselves, plus it is always wise to keep the original (Put them in a sealed box in the loft) just in case.

Bill
Actually it was legal to rip CDs, in the UK from 1st October 2014 but this was overturned High Court on 17th July 2015. It doesn't matter whether you keep the original or not, it is still illegal to rip (or tape), even for private use. Whether anyone is prepared to prosecute is another matter, though. To quote Dickens, "The law is an ass!"

abacus

Actually it was legal to rip CDs, in the UK from 1st October 2014 but this was overturned High Court on 17th July 2015. It doesn't matter whether you keep the original or not, it is still illegal to rip (or tape), even for private use. Whether anyone is prepared to prosecute is another matter, though. To quote Dickens, "The law is an ass!"

Yes it is a grey area, however because it is digital data, (Not analogue) and it is legal to backup digital data that you own, (You’re a numpty if you don’t) then there is no problem. (There is also no law that states you have to use the original instead of the backup)

Dickens definitely knew what he was on about though.

Bill

nads

Yep. And as we all know iTunes is illegal and any device that copies CDs to an archive is also not right. Many counties allow multiple copies of data to be stored and used.

Home taping kills Music.

let’s make a playlist

opps

Reactions: DCarmi

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts