Anyone heard a pair of ruark epilogue bookshelfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I want to create a budget hifi setup along side my homecinema and then upgrade that over time. it will have my genie turntable and a accer laptop feed into a dacmagic as a soure playing alac files and spotify. i can pick a pair of these speakers up a fairly decent price im guessing would they be close to sq of my ma br5's i know the depth will be lacking. Plus im only in a room roughly 5m wide by 8.5m depth so i wont be running them silly volumes if that helps.

Question2 if i gave you 75-100 pound on ebay for example could you get a stereo amp that would beat my denon1909 av amp in a blind test if so what cheapmsecond hand amps could i look for at around the 100mark.

Many thanks simon

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi Simon

As you'll see from my signature, I have a pair of Ruark Epilogue II's. Are the ones you're looking at the mark 1's or 2's? The 1's are recognisable by their off-centre tweeters. I love my Epilogues, although they might have quite a different sound signature than you're used to from your Monitor Audios. They're very fast and punchy, full of detail, but need to be partnered carefully to prevent the treble becoming a little screechy.

I used to drive them with a Cambridge Azur 640A amp (which you ought to be able to pick up for about £100 or a smidgen less). The partnering sounded fantastic with electronic music (post KidA Radiohead for example), Jazz and acoustic guitar (Rodrigo and Gabriela sounded ace too), however stuff like White Stripes or anything with prominent electric guitar could sound a bit harsh, so if that's a genre of music you like, then you may need to choose an amp that'll smooth out and warm up the sound, particularly as I understand that the DACmagic has a similar 'forward in-your-face' balance to my Cambridge 640CD player.

So, if you went for the Ruarks with your DACmagic, you might want to look at an Arcam amp as they're known for their warmth. I've not heard the Epilogue 1's though, so I couldn't be sure they would have a similar sound balance. Seems like a good plan though, that's how I did things myself. Started off many years ago with my dad's 30 year old Rotel amp and gradually upgraded from there.

Hope your project goes well.

GMK

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Are you getting confused with the Ruark Icon's below? I've got the Epilogue 1 and the tweeter is centered

http://att2.jd-bbs.com/forum/day_110823/20110823_5193e7c653c7b27f14e29M04X0CTRM1b.jpg

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Epilogues were excellent little speakers, hoewever I think they may struggle in a room that size, althouhg if you're sitting within 2-3m of them, they should work ok. Within their useful frequency response, they will most certainly sound better than a pair of BR5's.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys im alittle over 3ms away so i may have rethink. I think the best plan is try and upgrage my home cinema amp then think about swapping the ma bronze for silver series.

Again thanks for the feedback helpful as always

Secretagentmole

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
Picked up a pair of these recently. Paid £45! Got them to put with an amp, Dual record deck and Sony CD player I had laying around. Sound too good so got a set of Gale G20 instead! Keeping the Epilogue as back up speakers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts