Anyone done the Origin Live updgrade on the Technics SL1210?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
looking at doing the above - going to go for a Mk2, as there's not much difference over a Mk5.

Anyone heard it in action so to speak?

Seems as though it's an exceptional package punching miles above it's weight once the upgrade is done!

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes I have. I heard a SL1210 Mk2 and an Origin Live Silver at a show last year and I've also heard them on decks in clubs in London. The Technics SL1210 is actually a really good turntable even for hifi but the major weakness is the tonearm. The Origin Live upgrade on the SL1200/1210 has been covered in depth in Hi-Fi World and Editor David Price is a particular fan.

I'm currently awaiting my SME IV for my Gyro SE so would be selling my Origin Live Silver but I did consider upgrading my SL1210s.

Good luck!

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
The origin live silver is V-expensive!

How much will you be selling for?
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm a newcomer on these threads, so hello to all and sundry.

I upgraded my Technics recently. Visited the local London hi-fi shop who gave the usual pseudoscientific criticisms of Technics / DD turntables ("abused by DJs", "constantly hunting" etc) and offered no help whatsoever on a suitable choice for cartridge, so I had to go it alone. I went for a basic upgrade consisting of OL plate, RB251 and Denon DL-160 cartridge with OL upgrade mat sitting upon a Project cork mat.

Honestly, very rarely have I heard a true 'night and day' difference in hi-fi like this - the improvement was staggering. I found you get a great combination of the detail and punch of the Technics, with the smoothness and neutrality of the Planar 3. I'm certainly with DP on this one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts