Anybody still build their own speakers?

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I built a pair of Chris Rogers' transmission line speakers back in the '70's, from a design published in (I think) Practical Hi-Fi.

I'll try to find and post the photographs I took of the construction if anyone is interested (I built them in my bedroom, what a mess that made!).

Just wondered if anybody still did this sort of thing nowadays ...

emotion-5.gif

T

the record spot

World Audio Designs'll send you a kit and Peter Corneau runs a DIY feature in Hi Fi World most months.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, I knew there was a magazine that still featured DIY hi-fi!

I wonder if anyone on these forums has built any hi-fi components, either from kits, or even from scratch?
emotion-5.gif

Messiah

daveh75 - do we always just answer posts at the same time??
emotion-2.gif

I have lost track of the number of times I have posted an answer followed by yours seconds later. Maybe I just give shorter answers??

As long as they help though eh!!

Anyway...back to the thread.....

A

Anonymous

I've built my own speakers... but finishing them up to wife standards is time consuming so they're sitting in my dad's garage.

Olli1324

May 28, 2008
Visit site
I'm planning on completing the same headphone amp project that PJPro has just done, but I would love to take it a step further and take on larger projects (speakers, DACs and amps). Just need a nice, accessible, not too costly, user firendly guide!

A

Anonymous

There's lots of DIY sites on the web. You can find a lot of info on how to build speakers. A friend of mine built a clone of the ProAc Response 2.5 (a favorite design among DIYers). The result was excellent. The speaker really sounds great. I don't know if as good as the original 2.5, but its cost was only GBP600, and it sure sounded better than ANYTHING I've heard for GBP600. It probably was as good, if not better, than the Studio 130.

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
raypalmer:I've built my own speakers... but finishing them up to wife standards is time consuming so they're sitting in my dad's garage.

I was living with my parents at the time, and they didn't really object to the two monstrosities in my bedroom. The finish was sticky-back plastic over chipboard - not exactly up to professional standards, but at least they worked!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts