Anybody in, or near to, Bristol

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Who has a decent quality vinyl based system that they would let me come to listen to?

The reason I ask is inspired by Dire Straits SQ thread where I commented (jokingly) that vinyl was the same as CD but with added rumble and hiss, this made me realise that, despite being old enough to have grown up with vinyl as the most popular medium, i have never heard a really good vinyl system. my last TT (that is still somewhere in my loft) was an old Garrard of some description and if I'm honest I didn't look after my records that well either.

As a result I am of the opinion that vinyl is far inferior to CD but would be interested to see if my mind could be changed.

Gaz37 said:
Who has a decent quality vinyl based system that they would let me come to listen to?

The reason I ask is inspired by Dire Straits SQ thread where I commented (jokingly) that vinyl was the same as CD but with added rumble and hiss, this made me realise that, despite being old enough to have grown up with vinyl as the most popular medium, i have never heard a really good vinyl system. my last TT (that is still somewhere in my loft) was an old Garrard of some description and if I'm honest I didn't look after my records that well either.

As a result I am of the opinion that vinyl is far inferior to CD but would be interested to see if my mind could be changed.

In many respects vinyl is certainly inferior to the sound quality available from CD these days irrespective of how well that CD has been recorded. It certainly becomes less attractive when the cost of new media is taken into account.

The appearance of hi-res downloads now also confuses the situation which is why I am constantly amazed by the number of newbies entering the vinyl market afresh.

I have always been a vinyl addict it's not a new fad for me but would I restrict my media collection to vinyl these days?, I very much doubt it. I am not denying that a well fettled vinyl system can be wonderful to listen to but this level of system certainly doesn't come cheap, but maybe the sonic experience is not why these newbies are entering into the market.

With no snobbery intended I would say that, unless you are extremely well healed, or you have an extensive library of good quality vinyl already in your possession then it's not the road to go down. If I was starting from fresh I wouldn't be going that way certainly.

Don't let anyone try to dissuade you thought as it's very personal and only you can decide if you want to go down that route. As suggest a good dealer may be the place to start as many now have a selection of turntables and, more to the point cartridges, for you to audition.

If my house was not in such disarray, remodelling / redecorating, I would invite you to listen to my system (I am in South Wales), however it is likely to be some time before I can re-setup my system.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gaz37 said:
Who has a decent quality vinyl based system that they would let me come to listen to?

The reason I ask is inspired by Dire Straits SQ thread where I commented (jokingly) that vinyl was the same as CD but with added rumble and hiss, this made me realise that, despite being old enough to have grown up with vinyl as the most popular medium, i have never heard a really good vinyl system. my last TT (that is still somewhere in my loft) was an old Garrard of some description and if I'm honest I didn't look after my records that well either.

As a result I am of the opinion that vinyl is far inferior to CD but would be interested to see if my mind could be changed.

In many respects vinyl is certainly inferior to the sound quality available from CD these days irrespective of how well that CD has been recorded. It certainly becomes less attractive when the cost of new media is taken into account. 

The appearance of hi-res downloads now also confuses the situation which is why I am constantly amazed by the number of newbies entering the vinyl market afresh.

I have always been a vinyl addict it's not a new fad for me but would I restrict my media collection to vinyl these days?, I very much doubt it. I am not denying that a well fettled vinyl system can be wonderful to listen to but this level of system certainly doesn't come cheap, but maybe the sonic experience is not why these newbies are entering into the market.

With no snobbery intended I would say that, unless you are extremely well healed, or you have an extensive library of good quality vinyl already in your possession then it's not the road to go down. If I was starting from fresh I wouldn't be going that way certainly.

Don't let anyone try to dissuade you thought as it's very personal and only you can decide if you want to go down that route. As suggest a good dealer may be the place to start as many now have a selection of turntables and, more to the point cartridges, for you to audition.

If my house was not in such disarray, remodelling / redecorating, I would invite you to listen to my system (I am in South Wales), however it is likely to be some time before I can re-setup my system.

I would say the same
unless you want to spend loads of cash
dont go there

Gaz37 said:

We are about fifty miles and an hour by car from Bristol. Not far from Al Ears in SE Wales. If you'd like to come over some time I'll drop a line to the editorial team who will give you my email address. I'd quite understand if you'd rather hear a Linn or SME turntable, but mine is pretty good for a 'real world' budget.

You'd need to bring your London Grammar CDs too!

Let me know here...

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Gaz37 said:
Who has a decent quality vinyl based system that they would let me come to listen to?

The reason I ask is inspired by Dire Straits SQ thread where I commented (jokingly) that vinyl was the same as CD but with added rumble and hiss, this made me realise that, despite being old enough to have grown up with vinyl as the most popular medium, i have never heard a really good vinyl system. my last TT (that is still somewhere in my loft) was an old Garrard of some description and if I'm honest I didn't look after my records that well either.

As a result I am of the opinion that vinyl is far inferior to CD but would be interested to see if my mind could be changed.

I would say the same
dont go there

This is sheer curiosity, I'm not considering buying a vinyl based system, even if I was tempted I don't have anywhere to put a TT, then there's Mrs Gaz to contend with :(

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Al ears said:
Gaz37 said:

I would say the same
dont go there

This is sheer curiosity, I'm not considering buying a vinyl based system, even if I was tempted I don't have anywhere to put a TT, then there's Mrs Gaz to contend with :(

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:

We are about fifty miles and an hour by car from Bristol.  Not far from Al Ears in SE Wales.  If you'd like to come over some time I'll drop a line to the editorial team who will give you my email address.  I'd quite understand if you'd rather hear a Linn or SME turntable, but mine is pretty good for a 'real world' budget.  

Let me know here... 

Thank you very much for the offer that's very kind of you but I'm not really curious enough for a 2 hour round trip plus bridge toll.
I do appreciate the offer though.

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Gray said:
Take a record or two to them. You'll have a choice of turntables.

(No connection other than as a customer - I've used a couple of their stores).

Not a bad idea but I wouldn't want to waste their time setting something up when I have no intention of buying anything.

Gaz37 said:
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:

We are about fifty miles and an hour by car from Bristol. Not far from Al Ears in SE Wales. If you'd like to come over some time I'll drop a line to the editorial team who will give you my email address. I'd quite understand if you'd rather hear a Linn or SME turntable, but mine is pretty good for a 'real world' budget.

Let me know here...

Thank you very much for the offer that's very kind of you but I'm not really curious enough for a 2 hour round trip plus bridge toll. I do appreciate the offer though.
Fair enough. If you feel like a day in the Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains some time you could consider it on the way home! (We are in the BB national park).

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:

We are about fifty miles and an hour by car from Bristol.  Not far from Al Ears in SE Wales.  If you'd like to come over some time I'll drop a line to the editorial team who will give you my email address.  I'd quite understand if you'd rather hear a Linn or SME turntable, but mine is pretty good for a 'real world' budget.  

Let me know here... 

Thank you very much for the offer that's very kind of you but I'm not really curious enough for a 2 hour round trip plus bridge toll. I do appreciate the offer though.
Fair enough.  If you feel like a day in the Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains some time you could consider it on the way home!  (We are in the BB national park). 

Beautiful place to live, we used to visit quite often especially Ystradfeltte (spelling?) there's a beautiful walk that goes behind a waterfall. Unfortunately Mrs Gaz has a knackered knee so we no longer do much walking.
If we head that way again I'll give you a shout.
Thanks

Gaz37 said:
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:
nopiano said:
Gaz37 said:

Let me know here...

Fair enough. If you feel like a day in the Brecon Beacons or Black Mountains some time you could consider it on the way home! (We are in the BB national park).

Beautiful place to live, we used to visit quite often especially Ystradfeltte (spelling?) there's a beautiful walk that goes behind a waterfall. Unfortunately Mrs Gaz has a knackered knee so we no longer do much walking. If we head that way again I'll give you a shout. Thanks

Nothing wrong with your spelling and the waterfall you mentioned is Sgwd Yr Eira. I am down that way often.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
If you are still curious in February then there is always the Bristol Sound and Vision show, they always have some good vinyl systems. Understand it's not the best way to assess a system in hotel rooms with bad acoustics and people talking but you might get a rough idea! I recommend you go on the Friday, it's quieter and less claustrophobic, I sometimes take a day of work and make a day of it. Try the Audio Note rooom for starters
regular_smile.gif

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Gaz37 said:

Great advice Al ears. Exactly the same arguments could be laid at the door of anyone thinking about a Valve Amp. Loads of negatives: Use loads of power, run hot, valves wear out, 'coloured' sound, etc., etc.

Yet, I will not part with mine for anything. And yes, I'm just about to order a new turntable.

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
Gaz37 said:

Great advice Al ears. Exactly the same arguments could be laid at the door of anyone thinking about a Valve Amp. Loads of negatives: Use loads of power, run hot, valves wear out, 'coloured' sound, etc., etc.

Yet, I will not part with mine for anything. And yes, I'm just about to order a new turntable.

I don't believe this argument can be employed against valve amps, certainly not newer designs, I have one myself.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts