Any guesses as to what th new Cyrus thingy will be?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
chebby said:
MUSICRAFT said:
The Lyric looks like a dated 80's product :? The display shows the 80 too :grin:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

If it were a genuine 1980s product, it would have '00:00' flashing permanently on the display. (Because genuine 1980s men always threw the instructions away before trying to set the time and date.)

Like it, and true in the most case. :)

I'd buy one if they did it in 'champagne' :grin:

manicm

kmlav said:
I don't get it.

I'm sure it will sound good but if you want this sort of thing you can get a very good unit from the likes of Denon for a few hundred pounds. Is there a market for a better version of the streamline? Probably yes but I cant see there being a market for a premium all in one.

I predict these will be discontinued by November and half price by Christmas.

Cyrus stop now its a stupid idea

Aesthetics aside, no this is NOT a stupid idea. First your Denon and Marantz of a 'few hundred pounds' are wilfully underpowered compared to the new Cyrus models - the cheaper model is 100w - so they have serious amplification. They also include DSP for some ability of room correction. And they of-course include streaming, CD player and direct iPod/iPad connections.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Definitely the opposite of a stupid idea. I really think 'one box systems' are the way forward for a lot of people. The better one box offerings get the less faffing matching components and more time enjoying music... and your life ;-) I think one box systems for people that appreciate/want high quality sound is a potentially big market. Trouble is that if these systems get so good as to see away higher than budget separate systems there could be a major shift away from multiple component hifi. I suppose it's inevitable though. The times they are a changin.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
As you say, Bose have done amazingly well with the Wave Radio - we get about three people per day coming in asking to buy them!

I hope you can oblige them.

Three Bose radios per day is a tidy little profit to turn away if you can't.

Only available mail order from Bose themselves.

Some people don't like the idea of mail order or 'sale or return', so end up waking out with a Ruark Vita R4i.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Forgetting the fugliness for a moment, if that's at all possible, does this count as hifi? When does an all-in-one get categorised as proper hifi? Is it cost or related to brand? Or is it that only separates can be considered hifi? If I purchased a Super Uniti for example, would that be considered a 'style' system or proper hifi?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
SiUK said:
Forgetting the fugliness for a moment, if that's at all possible, does this count as hifi? When does an all-in-one get categorised as proper hifi? Is it cost or related to brand? Or is it that only separates can be considered hifi? If I purchased a Super Uniti for example, would that be considered a 'style' system or proper hifi?

The term 'HiFi' should refer to how it sounds, whether an ugly box or not. If the sound quality is 'as good' or 'better' than its peers then it is definitely HiFi and I for one wish them well with it. Have to be honest tho. Thatz an awful lot of features to shoehorn into a box that size. Something's got to give and I hope it isn't the power supply which will be the biggest component ( Mains transformer ). Time will tell I spose but I wish them all the very best.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
SiUK said:

The term 'HiFi' should refer to how it sounds, whether an ugly box or not. If the sound quality is 'as good' or 'better' than its peers then it is definitely HiFi and I for one wish them well with it. Have to be honest tho. Thatz an awful lot of features to shoehorn into a box that size. Something's got to give and I hope it isn't the power supply which will be the biggest component ( Mains transformer ). Time will tell I spose but I wish them all the very best.

Given the size of the unit, lack of cooling fins, lack of vents and the high power output figures quoted (and the integral DSM), I was assuming it will be class D power. If so, are such large power supplies required?

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
You could well be right Chebby. Class D whether digital or high speed switching analogue is tiny indeed and will run from switchmode power supplies. I guess we will find out more as things progress.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Richard Allen said:
SiUK said:

Class D modules are tiny. I can get one that gives 180 watts into 8 ohms and measures approx 65mm square. Still needs a wallop of current in the power rails though. Amps x Volts n all that.

Given the size of the unit, lack of cooling fins, lack of vents and the high power output figures quoted (and the integral DSM), I was assuming it will be class D power. If so, are such large power supplies required?

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
That is one seriously ugly bit of kit. :doh:

I cannot believe that it was ever exposed to a focus group. It would surely have been kicked into touch before the morning coffee break. :wall:

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
nara said:
That is one seriously ugly bit of kit. :doh:

I cannot believe that it was ever exposed to a focus group. It would surely have been kicked into touch before the morning coffee break. :wall:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. New focus group maybe?
smiley-undecided.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts