Any guesses as to what th new Cyrus thingy will be?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Richard Allen said:
Further to my previous post, anybody remember Bill Beards valve amps??. Not the greatest lookers in the world but super SQ.

They were hardly aiming for the "lifestyle" market sector. :?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
SiUK said:
Forgetting the fugliness for a moment, if that's at all possible, does this count as hifi? When does an all-in-one get categorised as proper hifi? Is it cost or related to brand? Or is it that only separates can be considered hifi? If I purchased a Super Uniti for example, would that be considered a 'style' system or proper hifi?

Hifi is to do with sound, nothing to do with cost or brands although a few believe otherwise, brand snobbery.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
SiUK said:
Forgetting the fugliness for a moment, if that's at all possible, does this count as hifi? When does an all-in-one get categorised as proper hifi? Is it cost or related to brand? Or is it that only separates can be considered hifi? If I purchased a Super Uniti for example, would that be considered a 'style' system or proper hifi?

Hifi is to do with sound, nothing to do with cost or brands although a few believe otherwise, brand snobbery.

Bose. :)

manicm

chebby said:
Given the size of the unit, lack of cooling fins, lack of vents and the high power output figures quoted (and the integral DSM), I was assuming it will be class D power. If so, are such large power supplies required?

I'm guessing to ensure they can drive a wide range of speakers - which at their price buyers surely will???? . I suspect this was not, despite their moderate blurb (not as strongly worded as for their other amps), a priority for the NAD D3020 - 30w at 8 ohms, or the D7050 at 50w at 4 ohms - not any more powerful on paper than the baby sister.

Yes, Class D amps can be more efficient - then again NAD's C390DD is still big and ugly albeit at 150w at 8ohms - to further prove my point.

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
BigH said:
I worded my post the way I did deliberately ;-) I of course agree. Just that I've noticed an air of condescension from some when referring to one box or all-in-one systems as if they don't qualify as hifi somehow. That is, as if they're only good for people who aren't very concerned with sound quality. Nothing could be further from the truth where I'm concerned...and also referencing my own kit, if it isn't hifi then tell me what it is. I've had more pleasure from this £1k+ system than I had in years with my old kit. It's enjoyable, engaging, captivating in fact, and produces a remarkably detailed and musical soundstage; you can't help but listen and enjoy when any type of music is playing through it. Pretty much what hifi is about I'd say. So bring on the almost-all-in-one systems (the just add speakers type are my preference ) as I think there could be gold in them thar hills should companies like Cyrus start mining them...as long as they don't all look like the Cyrus Fugly Thing.

manicm

I don't think Cyrus wilfully made the Lyric ugly - they probably tried to find some compromise. Remember as an all-in-one its power is a million miles from the norm at 170w for the Lyric 9 - and only the SuperUniti matches the lower Lyric 5 at 80w - but the Naim doesn't include a CD player.

And like the SuperUniti it will be aimed primarily at audiophiles at that price, and I don't think they'll be too concerned with the looks.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I think it looks cool.
Dont think it needs a CD player or a Tuner. Drop them and sell it for £700 less and I would certainly consider one

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts