Any details re: new KEF Q series ?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

That was very helpful. I'll have to demo a pair if and when they have it local here. What is your thought on neutrality on this speaker?

Kenneth

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
While people's explanation of neutral will be similar, their actual idea of neutrality will be quite different. Rather than coment on what I think of it's neutrality, I'll wait until I've compared them directly to the most neutral speakers under £1k - ATC....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah, there are several definition to the term neutrality. I see neutrality related to transparency and resolution. The more neutral a speaker is, the better the resolution and tonality is. I really look forward for this Q series. The previous Q series has good resolution, detail, imaging and staging, but it can be little bright and fatigue. If the new series reduce the brightness and fatigue and also improve timbre, that would be perfect.

I send them an email about the time and phase design.

Ken

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi: I think you'll like the new ones...
emotion-1.gif

David, if you get a chance I'd love to hear your impression of how these new KEF bookshelf models compare to the baby KEF reference model. Given the massive price difference, this would be very interesting. Just how good are these new KEFs?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
jaxwired:

FrankHarveyHiFi: I think you'll like the new ones...
emotion-1.gif

David, if you get a chance I'd love to hear your impression of how these new KEF bookshelf models compare to the baby KEF reference model. Given the massive price difference, this would be very interesting. Just how good are these new KEFs?

Good as the Q300's are they are not in the same league as the Reference product. XQ perhaps but the 201/2's are something altogether different.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Agree with Nick. The Q100/Q300 are excellent for their price point, and will compete with some speakers a little more expensive, but I'm not going to make bold claims of them sounding better than speakers that are three or four times their price. The Reference 201/2's are so massively over-engineered that the Q's can't hope to come close.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Finally got the A5 brochure on the new Q series - just waiting for Sevenoakes to break them in before an audition. Any news when WHF will receive a sample for review?

zappa 100

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
At least we know now why Superfi lobbed £500 off the price of the old iq70
Must have had a lot unsold after WHFi stuck the boot in!
When i suggested to the manager of my local branch that maybe a new range was on the way, he denied it......
Look forward to demo-ing a pair of Q500's soon.

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Just had my Q500's, even out of the box they are very good. They sound very much like my old MA RS6's but with more dynamics, midrange and detail! Treble is just right on them even without a run in! Plenty of bass without being over powering. Cant wait for them to run in and see how they sound then!

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Good news ! How about the looks.......are they really that ugly ?

I really like the looks myself. I like that cold, modern look.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Our Q500's are running in on the new Audiolab 8200 CD and amplifier - sounding damn good too! You can tell they lose out on bass response to the Q700, but it means they'll suit smaller rooms and work well against a wall.

It's the first time I've heard the 8200's together - very impresed!

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
The front and the speakers look cool, the casing looks abit cheap and the plastic feet are very very cheap! I still think they look alright tho... there starting to run in abit and the sound is slowly changing.. vocals are very clear but have a little touch too much bass at the mo, hopefully that will change after a longer run in... the bass is tight and punchy but hasnt got the depth of say the MA RX 6's... but it does have a very very good midrange with plenty of detail... and again the treble is just right for me.. doesnt seem to bright. Hoping they will sound even better after the next few days!!!

Sliced Bread

I had a listen recently to the Q300's. I agree that the mid-range was pretty decent, but with that aside I didn't like them, either sonically or visually. The driver looks nice though.

Some might love them, but I think that they are definitely a hear before you buy speaker.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
stevieray:The bass is tight and punchy but hasnt got the depth of say the MA RX 6's... but it does have a very very good midrange with plenty of detail... and again the treble is just right for me.. doesnt seem to bright. Hoping they will sound even better after the next few days!!!

As far as cabinet volume and driver size goes, the Q700's are a closer match to the RX6's.

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
They've had a good run in now and they sound so much better than before! Very emotive mid range, very good soundstage and detail, much better than the MA RX6's for most things in my opinion, not as bassey tho as them tho. Vocal's are very crisp, clear and dynamic, very punchy bass and plenty of depth. Very open soundstage! Awesome!

A

Anonymous

ear:just saw the other videos.there is also a video of Q700, pretty much get the idea of what they sound like.
emotion-40.gif

stevieray

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
The video was to show what they looked like, you cant tell what they sound like from the web lol... and i have a nad c355bee amp and a old nad c542 cd player with chord odyssey/ silver siren cables...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts