Another question (sorry) about iTunes lossless format

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I basically have all my music in mp3 format, and want to change to something better, so was going to import all my cd's again (although I would rather not!) in Apple lossless format. I listen to alot of music on my ipod, but I want to know, before I start this very very long task of importing my cd's again, if other mp3 players will play the format, just in case I ever bought something other than an ipod? And if not, then what format should I use to import the music? Or can they be easily converted should I ever want to?

Also, while I'm here... If i got a DAC ( Beresford TC 7510 or CA dacmagic) then would I need an amp to play sound from the pc and tv? I thought I would not as there are at least 2 inputs?

A

Anonymous

First part, yes, you will need to re-rip all your music. However once you rip into a lossless format then you can convert into other lossless formats fairly easily. You need to re-rip as the MP3 conversion discards information. If you want to listen to music on your iPod then you will need to rip into Apple Lossless. However you can do this into the same iTunes library and it will replace the existing track, so preserving playlists and play counts. Apple Lossless is only supported by Apple, FLAC (free lossless) is supported by a few other players, but lossless support is not widespread outside of the iPod (from my knowledge)

ÿYou need an amp to turn the line level output of the DAC into something that can drive the speakers. However you can hook the PC and the TV to the dacmagic and then switch sources on the DACmagic. So if I understand your second question correctly, then yes you do need an amp.

daveh75

not sure about being able to play apple lossles on other players as i dont use it.

but yes you would need an amp if you was to get a dac. all a dac does is take a digital signal either optical or electrical then convert it into an analogue signal no more no less. has no amplification or speaker connection,

A

Anonymous

Okay thanks, I was under the impression that the speakers could be connected directly to the DAC.

Also, is there any way of importing iTunes store music at a higher bit rate? Or does iTunes let me download music I already have at higher bit rate by any chance? Although I'm not too hopeful of that possibility.

A

Anonymous

There are a few amp/DACÿcombinations, but many people feel that a seperate DAC is better - I do too, it can make a bigÿdifference. DAC's can be exceptionally cheap, like the one built into the Airport Express and laptop computers, or very very expensive like the Chord QBD76 or varying levels of performance in CD player DAC's. Everyÿsurroundÿsound processor/amp has a DAC built in, so it comes down to how you want your system setup.ÿ

ÿ

As for music bought from iTunes, I'mÿafraidÿthey mostly sell in 128kbps AAC and last year started selling music in slightly better 256kbps AAC from a few artists but you don't have a choice, its just whatever is available. You can't buy music in lossless format from iTunes which is why I've stopped buying from them for now. There are some places online like LINN that sell music in lossless format. The best way to get CD quality music onto your computer remains ripping the CD to your computer in lossless format like Apple Lossless or FLAC. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Okay thanks... So if I get a DAC then I think I know how to connect all the components... Optical from pc to dac, then connect to amp with another cable (dont know the name?). But if I put off buying a DAC then how would I connect the pc directly to the amp? I know I can use the headphone jack, but the sound quality would not really be too great. The basic amp I currently have does not have an optical input, do any amps? if so, which ones are good value? (that's my way of saying cheap)
Bear in mind that I want to connect my tv to the amp too (it has RCA audio out) and also a ps3 (which has optical)!

daveh75

yeah if you put of buying a dac then you would have to connect to your amp via the headphone jack. i dont no of any stereo amps that have a digital in, but maybe some one else does. so that would leave going for an a/v amp which aren't particularly cheap and most are a comprimise with music. you'd be far better with a dac imo, to connect it your right yes you need an optical from pc to dac,them from dac to amp you need a rca(stereo) interconnect.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
A cheaper alternative (albeit not quite as good quality as the DAC way) is to use a USB soundcard - this takes the analog signals away from the noisy environment of the PC, and then connects into an amp using a 3.5mm Jack - 2xRCA connector (these are widely available - even B&Q do them for a few quid!). Just a thought.

Me? I use a Beresford DAC fed from an optical connection on my PC's soundcard, then run a 2xRCA - Naim DIN lead into my amps. Works lovely...

A

Anonymous

Okay, I think a DAC is the best way for me to go, prob the Beresford, not too expensive and looks alright. Just one question though... Where on earth can I buy one from? Even richer sounds don't have them on the website. Can anybody help?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts