Another Cyrus question!

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I currently have a Cyrus CD6s & 8vs integrated amp, with a Cambridge Audio ID100 ipod dock & Dacmagic 100.

Am I better off connecting my CD & amp via analogue interconnects (my old Chord Cobra 2's) or will using an optical connection via the Cambridge DAC give me any improvements? I know the CD6s cost a lot more than the DACmagic, but has technology moved on?

(They're currently in two different locations at the moment so I can't test it!)

Thanks

Si

Si

The problem is every component is lively. Cyrus amp + Cyrus CDP + Cambridge DacMagic (I owned the latter for a short period) + Monitor Audio speakers are quite frankly a mismatch.

I've heard an all-Cyrus setup with Dynaudio speakers and B&W PM1 and MA MX100(not at the same time) and by far the best was the former.

Regardless of connections, those speakers need to be sorted. Either dump the Cyrus kit and find a more appropriate amp & CD player (Arcam and Creek spring to mind) or keep the Cyrus and find a better speaker match. Your system as it stands screams "BRIGHT". Cables will only paper over the cracks, regardless of whether analogue or digital.

Yes I have. At Richer Sounds heard the Cyrus Lyric with Tannoy Precision 6.1 It sounded goodbut felt the peakers coul do wth a slightly smoother presentation.

I actually posted my findings on here. I'll search for the thread and post the link a little later

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
You really need to hear them rather than rely on other people's opinions. Sounds like you have been used to a bright sound, it may take some adjusting to a new sound. No I don't think technogoly has moved on in last 10 years or so, despite what hifi mags may lead you to believe.

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Yep, guess I do.

I do quite like the look (and price) of Dynaudio Excite X12 and DM 2/7's. I'm just wondering if I'll lose any low end oomph by going to standmounters.

I was also just wondering if (technically) the DAC is better in my CD6s or in the DACmagic?

Thanks & LLAP

Si

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Si Evans said:
Yep, guess I do.

I do quite like the look (and price) of Dynaudio Excite X12 and DM 2/7's. I'm just wondering if I'll lose any low end oomph by going to standmounters.

I was also just wondering if (technically) the DAC is better in my CD6s or in the DACmagic?

Thanks & LLAP

Si

I think the Dyn X12 have been discontinued?

Si O' the Times

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Not sure, the pair I'm looking at are used. I don't know whether I'd regret going back to bookshelf/standmount speakers though.

I was also looking at Excite X32 floorstanders, but I'm not sure whether they'd over-power my 13.5m sq. listening room, or even whether my Cyrus 8vs could do them justice...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Si Evans said:
Not sure, the pair I'm looking at are used. I don't know whether I'd regret going back to bookshelf/standmount speakers though.

I was also looking at Excite X32 floorstanders, but I'm not sure whether they'd over-power my 13.5m sq. listening room, or even whether my Cyrus 8vs could do them justice...

I only heard the X14s, did not like them but there was quite a bit of bass considering the size. Not sure the tweeters would work well with Cyrus.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts