Annoyed with SONY

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I bought a BDP-S760 during December and have just seen that a new range of Blu-ray players will be available in March.

These players will not only have 3D support but other facilities that I would like to have (BBC Iplayer, Youtube SACD support etc).

Although I realise that companies replace current models quickly these days , but to replace a current range within 3 months is unfair to all those people who bought those models.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
rostron:
I bought a BDP-S760 during December and have just seen that a new range of Blu-ray players will be available in March.

These players will not only have 3D support but other facilities that I would like to have (BBC Iplayer, Youtube SACD support etc).

Although I realise that companies replace current models quickly these days , but to replace a current range within 3 months is unfair to all those people who bought those models.

Within 3 months? The 760 has been out for a while now - at least 6 months. You have to accept that whenever you buy something, it will soon be updated. Once you have accepted this fact, you can enjoy your equipment. I bought my LCD three years ago, naively thinking that I was safe for a good five or so years as 1080p would not be improved for a long time. A year later 1080p 24fps came out. That's when I accepted. I wasn't going to change my screen just to see some better panning.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
To be fair to Sony, the BDP-S760 is on a six month product cycle, as is pretty standard for many Blu-ray players these days, from a range of manufacturers: it's a fast-evolving new technology, just like flatscreen TVs (also on two-product-cycles-per-year).

I know it's tough to feel your new player is already outdated, but it remains an excellent BD unit....

nads

LOL

I bought HD DVD, I bought Pioneer Plasma, I have a car that only runs 98 octane fuel.

be happy you donr need to change your TV to get the 3D image that the BD player you did not buy could send.

enjoy.

A

Anonymous

I love the fact that new players and other tech comes out so fast. For me it means i can buy top gear at a discount when the "new and improved" range comes out. Very few people can afford to always have the latest and greatest in every category of kit.

You get great gear for less =)

A

Anonymous

Yea, i think b&w have done the same thing with the new 800 diamond range speakers, my local hi-fi guy has discounted the 800 range to shift them while waiting for the new ones

A

Anonymous

Too bad mate I really feel for you.

Why does the PS3 support all this, but the Blu-ray players cant?

I will never get rid of my PS3.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
canada16:

Because it's got an incredibly high-powered processor in it - it's far more computer than anything else. And if it was priced by the same criteria as standard consumer electronics - as opposed to the software-subsidised world of gaming - it'd have a four-figure price tag....

A

Anonymous

canada16:

Because a PS3 has much more processing power than any other BD player. This gives a PS3 the necessary flexibility to run updated software to handle new formats.

Edit: Ah, I was beaten to it. You're too fast for an ordinary bloke Clare.

A

Anonymous

Yes but spending 400+ on a blu-ray player, surley they could put the same tech in the high end blu-rays.

PS3 250.00 = Full updates and firmware.

760 = 329.00 st superfi, with nothing.

I think sony could be a bit more generous with what they give.

TBH if they had the same upgrade power as the PS3 I would be happy to buy a 760 as well.

Mr Steve

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
"Edit: Ah, I was beaten to it. You're too fast for an ordinary bloke
Clare."

I guess Claire has a pretty high powered processor too
emotion-2.gif

canada16:

Yes but spending 400+ on a blu-ray player, surley they could put the same tech in the high end blu-rays.

TBH if they had the same upgrade power as the PS3 I would be happy to buy a 760 as well.

Sony actually makes a loss with every PS3 they sell. The loss is covered by the gaming companies who pay a royalty to Sony for every PS3 game sold. The production alone costs £23 more than the cost of the PS3 that it's sold at. This is without including the marketing, shipping costs, after sales support etc. This is one of the reasons why video games (PS3 etc.) cost a lot more than blu-ray films.

They cannot sell the standalone blu-ray players at a discount, because no one will pay a royalty to them to play blu-ray movies.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
canada16:

What Clare is saying is that the PS3 is priced in the knowledge that a lot of games are going to be bought for it. Serious gamers will probably spend £500 on games (I have no knowledge of gaming so I might be underestimating a serious gamer!) in the life time of their ps3. All the ps3 games are made by Sony so the price of the ps3 is like a down payment on what they will get for each unit. For a BD player to have the same processing, the cost would be too much for the manufacturer to market it at a profit.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
bigboss:canada16:

Sony actually makes a loss with every PS3 they sell. The loss is covered by the gaming companies who pay a royalty to Sony for every PS3 game sold. The production alone costs £23 more than the cost of the PS3 that it's sold at. This is without including the marketing, shipping costs, after sales support etc. This is one of the reasons why video games (PS3 etc.) cost a lot more than blu-ray films.

They cannot sell the standalone blu-ray players at a discount, because no one will pay a royalty to them to play blu-ray movies.

If I had read your post before typing Big Boss, I wouldn't have bothered!

A

Anonymous

canada16:

A 760 with an integrated PS3, yes that would be great :)

Seriously though, that would also be a lot more expensive than 400 quid. You can't just compare prices of a PS3 and 760 and expect the latter to include all of the features of a PS3. For one, your 400 quid or so pays for tech the 760 has and the PS3 does not. Cost of components aside, those players have very different business models. With the PS3, there's not much (if any?) profit on the hardware, profit comes from PS3 games (licensees pay high royalties to Sony for selling PS3 games).

Edit: sheesh, I get overtaken left and right posting in this thread!

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I really wouldn't get upset about it as i only got mine last week after waiting for the price to come down (269.99 from Amazon tip from Hot Deals in the forum
emotion-21.gif
) and it's just the price of progress i'm afraid as every electronics company in the world is in the business of outdoing their competitors hence the current 6 months product cycle for bluray. As for the features i can't say i'm upset that my BD player dosen't have BBC i player or Youtube as i have access to those already the only slight miss for me is SACD but even that is no deal breaker as it's the performance of the player that most concerns me and on that front it's VERY hard to feel hard done by when you own the BDPS760!

A more appropriate question would be how much better will the new model be with playback when compared to the S760? As the 760 contains tech from the high end of the Sony range i'm wondering what if anything will be new within the latest model when it arrives? Will there be as big a leap in the tech as we saw from the BDP760? That's more important to me but either way i'm really happy with my BDPS760 and won't be replacing just for a few extra features
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I didnt know that about the games.

I have only bought a few, but they are expensive, like call of duty was 30.00 quid and same with bioshock, so I can see were they are coming from.

Oldboy:

Hi,

I really wouldn't get upset about it as i only got mine last week after waiting for the price to come down (269.99 from Amazon tip from Hot Deals in the forum
emotion-21.gif
) and it's just the price of progress i'm afraid as every electronics company in the world is in the business of outdoing their competitors hence the current 6 months product cycle for bluray. As for the features i can't say i'm upset that my BD player dosen't have BBC i player or Youtube as i have access to those already the only slight miss for me is SACD but even that is no deal breaker as it's the performance of the player that most concerns me and on that front it's VERY hard to feel hard done by when you own the BDPS760!

A more appropriate question would be how much better will the new model be with playback when compared to the S760? As the 760 contains tech from the high end of the Sony range i'm wondering what if anything will be new within the latest model when it arrives? Will there be as big a leap in the tech as we saw from the BDP760? That's more important to me but either way i'm really happy with my BDPS760 and won't be replacing just for a few extra features
emotion-1.gif

I don't there will be much of an improvement in audio & video quality, maybe only slightly. The one big improvement I'm expecting, is the much faster loading times simply because of the more powerful processor it's going to have to enable it to play 3D movies.

A

Anonymous

canada16:
I didnt know that about the games.

I have only bought a few, but they are expensive, like call of duty was 30.00 quid and same with bioshock, so I can see were they are coming from.

Slightly off topic but i can't see how paying £30 for a game is considered expensive. Call of Duty single player game alone will give 5-6 hours of game time as to a buying a film for £15 giving 1 1/2 -2 hours of entertainment. I paid ?50 for MW2 and have played about 50 hours online alone, thats only ?1 per hour so far. Just a thought.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:canada16:

What Clare is saying is that the PS3 is priced in the knowledge that a lot of games are going to be bought for it. Serious gamers will probably spend £500 on games (I have no knowledge of gaming so I might be underestimating a serious gamer!) in the life time of their ps3. All the ps3 games are made by Sony so the price of the ps3 is like a down payment on what they will get for each unit. For a BD player to have the same processing, the cost would be too much for the manufacturer to market it at a profit.

Printers are the same. The price you can buy a new printer for is so cheap but then the price of the replacement cartrides are at the other end of the scale.

In some cases its cheaper to buy a new printer (complete with two cartridges) than two replacement cartridges.

marvsins: Slightly off topic but i can't see how paying £30 for a game is considered expensive. Call of Duty single player game alone will give 5-6 hours of game time as to a buying a film for £15 giving 1 1/2 -2 hours of entertainment. I paid ?50 for MW2 and have played about 50 hours online alone, thats only ?1 per hour so far. Just a thought.

I don't think you can really compare games & movies. At the most, only 1 or 2 players can play a game at a time, but an entire family with friends can watch a film at the same time.

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
i can see what your saying about sony.

i bought a hd camcorder at christmas and then they announce a new range with better optical zoom coming out shortly.

but its not just sony i got a nintendo dsi and 3 days after i bought it a press release comes out saying a new bigger model is out on the 23 march

but the worst company has to be apple, look at there nano, ipod and iphone range its just crazy 3 month product life

sell your stuff on ebay quick

A

Anonymous

Well, at least it did not cost 1500 euro as the Panasonic DMP-BD10 when it was launched. Fantastic player, but now completely out of date. Still love it though.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Lee37, but that's just not true. Apple tends to change their product lines every 12 months. For example, the 3GS iPhone was released last June - 9 months ago - and the update may be released middle of this year. The original 2.5G was released in November 2007, but the 3G update in July the year after - however, O2 offered all those who wanted it a £99 upgrade despite having had use of the phone for up to 9 months . The five generations of Nano have all been released annually in September since 2005, as has the ipod touch's 3 generations since 2007.

So where your 3 month product life figure comes from...

D

Deleted member 2457

rostron:

You could always sell it and buy the new model, but that will probaly change to hdmi 1.5 all something like that the following year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts