Amplifiers - PRaT

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
It doesn't seem to affect you adversely when PP is advertising his Leema on the other thread

If you read that thread Andrew asked me first. The fact that subsequent questions were asked by Andrew and insider9 shouldn't be aimed at me. It's true it went totally 'off-topic', but this happens frequently, regardless of the subject.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
8000S (original).

Worst amplifier I've owned.

I find it somewhat amusing that anyone would buy an amp without auditioning... ;-)

I think I did. I went through a time when Hifi all but consumed me. I think at one stage I had 7, perhaps 8 or 9 amplifiers plus different speakers and cd players at home as a friend was managing a local Hifi shop. Pretty much access to anything over weekends. Not a good time (hifi wise) as it confused the hell out of me and, if anything, probably caused some anxiety.

I think the 8000S initially impressed me (I was coming from an Arcam 7/8) but it started to grate on me very shortly thereafter. Perhaps I just bought it on the basis of reviews, I honestly can't remember.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
It doesn't seem to affect you adversely when PP is advertising his Leema on the other thread

If you read that thread Andrew asked me first. The fact that subsequent questions were asked by Andrew and insider9 shouldn't be aimed at me. It's true it went totally 'off-topic', but this happens frequently, regardless of the subject.

I wasn't really having a dig at you. - I can't care less who sells/promotes what or, as in your case, gets asked if you'd sell on here :)

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh dear! seems like me (and Rick) were the only ones that liked them then..... I remember really noticing the timing improve and seemed to bring more precision some how,and plenty of detail, guess that can be what some call analytical? That's why I mentioned it on this post, thought that the Audiolab 8000A and others from that series probably had PRaT! Each to their own I guess but I have fond memories of mine....

mond said:
Oh dear! seems like me (and Rick) were the only ones that liked them then..... I remember really noticing the timing improve and seemed to bring more precision some how,and plenty of detail, guess that can be what some call analytical? That's why I mentioned it on this post, thought that the Audiolab 8000A and others from that series probably had PRaT! Each to their own I guess but I have fond memories of mine....
I certainly wouldn't write off the whole brand, and I'm sure they could be ok in some systems. But rather like dave, I was in a shop environment - if only once a week, in my case - and most of us were pretty clear on what we liked and didn't.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:
mond said:
I certainly wouldn't write off the whole brand, and I'm sure they could be ok in some systems.  But rather like dave, I was in a shop environment - if only once a week, in my case - and most of us were pretty clear on what we liked and didn't. 

Audiolab DACs are good

S

SemiChronic

I'll second that about Audiolab. My mdac was engaging but also had the knack of bouncing along bringing a nice vibe to the music.

One of the best looking boxes ive had.

Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
mond said:
I certainly wouldn't write off the whole brand, and I'm sure they could be ok in some systems. But rather like dave, I was in a shop environment - if only once a week, in my case - and most of us were pretty clear on what we liked and didn't.

Audiolab DACs are good
No doubt. I'm talking about their amps decades ago!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
mond said:

Audiolab DACs are good
No doubt. I'm talking about their amps decades ago!

But interestingly, whenever I knowingly hear an Audiolab product, even the most modern ones, I still hear the flat, clinical, unmusical sound of the old amp.

I know that this is predominately, if not entirely 'in my mind', but it means I would not have that brand in my setup. There are a couple of other brands, quite highly favoured on this forum, that fall into the same category.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
nopiano said:
Andrewjvt said:
nopiano said:
mond said:
I certainly wouldn't write off the whole brand, and I'm sure they could be ok in some systems.  But rather like dave, I was in a shop environment - if only once a week, in my case - and most of us were pretty clear on what we liked and didn't. 

Audiolab DACs are good
No doubt.  I'm talking about their amps decades ago!

But interestingly, whenever I knowingly hear an Audiolab product, even the most modern ones, I still hear the flat, clinical, unmusical sound of the old amp.

I know that this is predominately, if not entirely 'in my mind', but it means I would not have that brand in my setup. There are a couple of other brands, quite highly favoured on this forum, that fall into the same category.

I think most things in this hobby are more about how you think and less about how it performs to a degree.

If you have a favourite brand then it will always sound good as your head tells you it good.

I know it's not always like this but many things are

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
mond said:

I too have fond memories of my old Audiolab Amp. I had an 8000P which I fed directly from an Audio Alchemy V 3.0 DAC as it had digital volume control. The sound wasn’t ‘shrill’, but lovely and ‘bouncy’ and very neutral.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts