Amplifier with rich tone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
millennia_one said:
ne5 said:
Hello....i have KEF Q300 speakers and an old rotel amp.

While they are good together.the amp is over 20 years old...and maybe its my ears but it seems one speaker is slightly louder than the other...but not when i sit closer to each one seperately.

The treble seems slightly thin if turned up and not prominent enough in neutral especially the vocals particularly female.

Price is no object unless we are talking silly levels. So can anybody recommend me a good amp that will suit what i would like please.

Sound like more of placement issue TBH, you say one side sounds loader and then levels out as you get closer, This normally means your speakers aren't quite level with one another, I would make sure everything is level in the room and then worry about the amp. It could also be time for a recap?. But I would give the newer Rotels a shot as well, more than grunty enough to give your Q300's some drive especially the higher end models, which just happen to sit within your budget. give or take a ton

Having said that 20 years ago "Budget" Rotel amps where selling for around £3-500, so is suspect just shy of 1K in today's money I'm guessing, I suspect your not really going to hear/notice much difference, Rotels where very fine back then, I would tread carefully As i said above, a bit of TLC with a recap will probably do the trick and would be far cheaper. But if you just fancy change then just pick your poison . 

The rotel bx930 (i think) cost £200+ 23 years ago. Im aware the equivalent value now is double or more. Ive tried the speakers toe in, flat, near the wall, away from the wall. The speakers prob arent really a different volume as i said it just sounds that way when i sit at a distance and listen to them. So the seperation is not right to me and it obviously affects the tone of the vocals which matters to me very much. On.one side of the speakers down the side of the room i have my TV and amp etc underneath on a rack. On the other side i have a settee...this is the quiet side from the listening position. Ive placed the speakers closer together too, away from the settee. Sometimes it sounds ok for a short while...but after a while of listening it always sounds quieter than the one on the TV side. It could be my ears which is why im aware i need to be careful. I know ive got a decent amp and speakers.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ne5 said:
Thank you Macspur ive looked at these if i can somewhere to dem them in newcastle then i will

No probs. Doubt you'll find a dealer with Accuphase in Newcastle... might be worth contacting the seller and see if they'd let you try before you buy, but I can guarantee you wouldn't send it back.

I bought my first Accuphase blind and could easily still live with it now.

Mac

www.realmusicet.wordpress.com

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
McRibbons said:
if it helps.... I had KEF Q300 speakers paired with a NAD c356bee amp and to my ears it sounded pretty darn good

are all these NAD amps imported from Germany as on ebay ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts