Amplifier with rich tone

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Hello....i have KEF Q300 speakers and an old rotel amp.

While they are good together.the amp is over 20 years old...and maybe its my ears but it seems one speaker is slightly louder than the other...but not when i sit closer to each one seperately.

The treble seems slightly thin if turned up and not prominent enough in neutral especially the vocals particularly female.

Price is no object unless we are talking silly levels. So can anybody recommend me a good amp that will suit what i would like please.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You could look at Arcam, Electrocompaniet, Pathos, Musical Fidelity and Unison Research Unico.

BTW. What do you call "silly levels" 1k?. 2k?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Here is the link if you want ask there;

https://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm14s1se-first-impressions

Apologies I can't make links live from the phone.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Prob about 1k. Even though the biggest single thing is to get an amp and system im happy with....and i could spend it or more if it was necessary....but i have to remember i could get an amp too good for these speakers would that then make me unhappy with the speakers. Where does it end ? The tone is the important thing and i dont like in fact i hate boomy bass.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ne5 said:
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
Prob about 1k.

- Arcam A29

- Croft Integrated

- Musical Fidelity M3si (ex-dem)

Do you know what these sound like

Do you intend to audition?

I have listed amps that may meet your criteria....but you should be the one to assess them with your speakers and ideally in your room.

What brands do you have access to?

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
Prob about 1k.

- Arcam A29

- Croft Integrated

I have listed amps that may meet your criteria....but you should be the one to assess them with your speakers and ideally in your room.

I would audition if i can. I havent done a wide search yet in newcastle im restricted to richer sounds.

I would consider taking pot luck on an old amp on ebay if i thought i might like the sound. I have an equaliser and i use a squeezebox.

Back in the 70s and 80s i had an old aiwa music centre af5050. I loved this system. Still love the recordings i made on it. Everybody who heard it said how great it was. It wasnt a cheap one at the time. If i thought i could get an old amp that sounded like that i wpuld go anywhere to pick it up.

ne5

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
Prob about 1k.

- Arcam A29

- Croft Integrated

I would audition if i can. I havent done a wide search yet in newcastle im restricted to richer sounds.

I would consider taking pot luck on an old amp on ebay if i thought i might like the sound. I have an equaliser and i use a squeezebox.

Back in the 70s and 80s i had an old aiwa music centre af5050. I loved this system. Still love the recordings i made on it. Everybody who heard it said how great it was. It wasnt a cheap one at the time. If i thought i could get an old amp that sounded like that i wpuld go anywhere to pick it up.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
ne5 said:

Then my advice is to bring your speakers to RS and audition this amp (great amp at a great price):

https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/amplifiers-receivers/arcam-fmj-a39-blk-soc.html

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ne5 said:
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
CnoEvil said:
ne5 said:
Prob about 1k.

- Arcam A29

- Croft Integrated

You won't get better for the money than one of the Accuphase amps on Ebay.

E203, E207, E210 £799, £1000, £1100 respectively

Mac

www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com

D

Deleted member 116933

ne5 said:
Hello....i have KEF Q300 speakers and an old rotel amp.

While they are good together.the amp is over 20 years old...and maybe its my ears but it seems one speaker is slightly louder than the other...but not when i sit closer to each one seperately.

The treble seems slightly thin if turned up and not prominent enough in neutral especially the vocals particularly female.

Price is no object unless we are talking silly levels. So can anybody recommend me a good amp that will suit what i would like please.

Sound like more of placement issue TBH, you say one side sounds loader and then levels out as you get closer, This normally means your speakers aren't quite level with one another, I would make sure everything is level in the room and then worry about the amp. It could also be time for a recap?. But I would give the newer Rotels a shot as well, more than grunty enough to give your Q300's some drive especially the higher end models, which just happen to sit within your budget. give or take a ton

Having said that 20 years ago "Budget" Rotel amps where selling for around £3-500, so is suspect just shy of 1K in today's money I'm guessing, I suspect your not really going to hear/notice much difference, Rotels where very fine back then, I would tread carefully As i said above, a bit of TLC with a recap will probably do the trick and would be far cheaper. But if you just fancy change then just pick your poison .

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
ne5 said:
Macspur said:
There's some pre owned Accuphase amps on Ebay at the moment, older models and for prices around your budget.

Mac

Ive not heard of this make. What do they generally soubd like ? Bassy ? Boomy ? I like a wholesome tone and good vocals especially female

They are considered to be one of the best high end brands in HiFi... your description of the sound you like would fit perfectly and they have tone controls.

Not sure where you're based, all three amps are in London at the same dealer, perhaps you could ask for a demo.

Mac

I noticed in an earlier post I got a mention for buying the Marantz PM14S1SE amp a few weeks ago . The price has gone back up since I bought it, but it is still a stunningly musical amplifier for the money. It has brought my Simaudio Moon Equinox CD Player to a whole new level. The level of detail is just stunning, a very neutral amp, just lets the music breathe and fill the room. I’m probably at around 100 hours now, and it’s getting better by the day. I’ve dialled in the speakers over the hours to the point where I’m not just happy, I’m blown away. That Ken Ishiwata knows what he’s doing!

TRENDING THREADS