Amplifier upgrade advice for larger living room

tt_drj

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my existing home cinema setup when I move house next month, partly to provide support for 3D HDMI passthrough for a new TV and partly because I've never been convinced by the performance of the current setup.

My setup started in 2006 with a Yamaha DSP-AX759SE paired with a set of KEF KHT-3005 'Eggs' the combination of which was chosen after extensive auditioning. The AX759SE was one of the 'UK Tuned' series of amplifiers with a warmer sound supplying 110W at 8 Ohms. The KEFs are rated at 100W, 8 Ohms. The only concern I had was whether the ampifier was underpowered for the speakers, but since the living room at home wasn't overly large it wasn't an issue.

Then, 3 years ago I changed the amplifier for a Yamaha RX-V1065 (105W, 8 Ohms) to get HDMI video switching, but the amplifier doesn't provide a convincing (to me) performance with my speakers, despite having the same impedance and power ratings as the amp it replaced.

I am about to move into a new house where the living room is 6m x 5m and am worried that the existing amplifier will struggle to drive the 3005s hard enough in the larger room. I don't want to rush to change the amplifier without auditioning, but I was wondering whether the refresh of the Yamaha Aventage line of amplifiers recently to introdice the xx30 series, might offer an opportunity to pick up an xx20 series amp on a good deal.

My question is, given the size of the new living room, is the Aventage 2020 (140W, 8 Ohms) a good match for the KEF KHT-3005 speakers and are there any other candidates for my audition shortlist? I'm hoping to get an amplifier for around £1,000 which should bring the 2020 in range as the 2030 feeds onto the shelves to replace it.

Any opinions gratefully received.

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
When i had the 3005se's i was driving them from my current avr(1010)...so the 2010 would be good anough,maybe the 2020 could add more?!

Have a listen to both and compare... :)

Also kef match well with pioneer,onkyo and marrantz so you have plenty of choice.

Yes, the 2020 will drive the Kefs beautifully. A couple of members here bought the 2020 for £799 from Creative Audio not long ago. I can't see the model on their website now, but maybe worth giving them a ring.

http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/HDLIST.php?BRAND=YAM

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
You should also consider the Anthem MRX300 in this price range. Not so many features as the Yamaha but would sound very good and has the passthrough you need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts